I call BS

Does anybody else ever see the AI doing things that should absolutly not be happening? Perfect example. As Levante I'm playing Osasuna in the Spanish L2. The Osasuna AMC scores two free kicks from miles away, both in the far upper corner of my net. I was extremely frustrated at this so I checked out this player after the game.

His states for determination - 11, composure -11 and the kicker here long shots -3. Long shots are 3! How does he score two perfect free kicks from 35 yards or more on both times. His only 2 goals ALL Season and we are in the final game. At age 37 there is no way he should have such a game.

Ok Beckham in his prime could do it. Messi and C Ronaldo now. Im sure there are several other players IRL who can do this. But I call BS on this guy doing it. Just can't see how this guy is going to (with his stats) singlehandedly win the game for them, they won 2-1.

All players can have a great game. I remember Emile Heskey once played really well for England. I think he got 2 goals against Denmarkin the previous world cup, including a half volley from outside the area. Imagine how annoyed THAT manager would be on FM. "This is totally unrealistic - Hesky! Scoring! It's not fair."

I have had some players do incredibly well for me too. I bought Fat Ronaldo for Newcastle in the Prem after promotion, and he was a donkey all season. I had a Coca Cola cup match against Man U, which I expected to lose, so pulled a McCarthy and put out a B-team. Wish I hadn't cos Ronaldo got a hattrick against a 90% Man U first team, but we lost 4-3. From memory, I think he scored 5 goals in 20-odd games (incl sub appearances), but the Man U game was his crowning glory.

It does feel, sometimes, like a lot of players break their duck against me, but I don't see it as a conspiracy or anything like that.

All players can have a great game. I remember Emile Heskey once played really well for England. I think he got 2 goals against Denmarkin the previous world cup, including a half volley from outside the area. Imagine how annoyed THAT manager would be on FM. "This is totally unrealistic - Hesky! Scoring! It's not fair."

I have had some players do incredibly well for me too. I bought Fat Ronaldo for Newcastle in the Prem after promotion, and he was a donkey all season. I had a Coca Cola cup match against Man U, which I expected to lose, so pulled a McCarthy and put out a B-team. Wish I hadn't cos Ronaldo got a hattrick against a 90% Man U first team, but we lost 4-3. From memory, I think he scored 5 goals in 20-odd games (incl sub appearances), but the Man U game was his crowning glory.

It does feel, sometimes, like a lot of players break their duck against me, but I don't see it as a conspiracy or anything like that.

Not saying what happened to me was or is a conspiracy. Although Ive noticed, if in the pre-game it says so and so hasn't scored in 600 minutes, he scores on me that game.

Im just saying where does this guy with crap for stats and no goals all season come from and fire these two amazing goals. The part that got my goat was they were already relegated (last game of the year) and although I wasnt going to get promotion 5 points shy of it and would have been 2 if I'd of won its just that I lost to this one guy.

I keep thinking about the line from The Waterboy "Its the last game of the year Brent, can't hold anything back now"

Although Ive noticed, if in the pre-game it says so and so hasn't scored in 600 minutes, he scores on me that game.

I think this is a situation where if a player on a drought doesn't score against you, you don't notice but you do when he does score.

As for the original point, its extremely lucky. But these things happen for and against you in FM - I've had my centre half score a hat trick all from outside the box despite having 1 for long shots.

I'm sure you get bizarre and unexpected in real football too, otherwise whats the point?

I think this is a situation where if a player on a drought doesn't score against you, you don't notice but you do when he does score.

As for the original point, its extremely lucky. But these things happen for and against you in FM - I've had my centre half score a hat trick all from outside the box despite having 1 for long shots.

I'm sure you get bizarre and unexpected in real football too, otherwise whats the point?

Right, I do sometimes get the odd play where someone way out of position or doing something I don't ask of them does good, but I'm not excited when they do it either. For example my starting LWB was injured and my only backup with at 84% condition going into a game so I brought up an 18 year old and started him. His role was set as defend, but he did a solo run with the ball for about 1/3 of the pitch and managed to score which completely shocked both me and the AI because his finish rating is only 6 and his dribbling is only 9. I wasn't happy he did it because I could see it getting turned into a counter attack as clear as day...but I was wrong he managed to get the goal.

My point is sometimes these things do happen, I understand that, but IRL these kind of things could be much better handled with a real coaching staff/manager getting on his player/s. Whereas I can't do that in game.

I also want to say that I absolutely hate when the AI makes a change (say bringing in a ST around the 60 minute mark) and I try to react by changing my tactics on him but between my changing the tactics and their being implemented something seems to always go wrong. Twice in my last 5 games the subbed in player scored a goal on me before my tactics were implemented. The first case 12 minutes had ticked off from my telling to when it was implemented.

what is his rating for free kicks? Wouldn't that be more relevant than his long shots stat?

Free kicks I don't recall the exact number but it was around 10, pk's were also 9 or 10. This guy was a scrub backup that was just getting a cup of coffee in the last game of the year. Hard for me to imagine he could completely own me the way he did.

If you think it's an issue, raise it in the bugs forum with a pkm.

Thanks, although I wouldn't say its a bug or anything because to my knowledge its only happened that someone this craptastic has managed to beat me on his own. Whole team took 4 shots total so not like they did much else on offense.

On a side note I absolutely love your work making down to league 11. I took Old Bradwell United from league 11 up to League 1 in consecutive years, but it was getting slow so I haven't played for awhile. Still love your work! :)

Archived