Is my game disc a fake

I've just bought a new copy of FM2006 on eBay, as I fancied going back to a long-running game I haven't played for a couple of years, and my game disc has disappeared.

The trouble is, even though it came "factory-sealed" and in very convincing packaging, the artwork on the disc itself is pretty blurred (especially around the SI and Sega logos). The other thing is that my laptop really struggles to play the disc - it makes loud clunky noises in the drive, and Windows recognises it as a CD-RW !!

I'm pretty convinced it's a pirate copy. But is there any way I can tell for sure? If it is a fake, it's going straight back for a refund (even though it only cost a couple of quid - it's the principle of it).

Am I overreacting or have I been cheated?

I think the fact that the disc appears in Windows as a CD-RW is the most convincing evidence of it being fake. But I dont play that many PC games so I'm not sure if this is just something that can happen with some games.

Has anyone else had this with a genuine game before?

I think the fact that the disc appears in Windows as a CD-RW is the most convincing evidence of it being fake. But I dont play that many PC games so I'm not sure if this is just something that can happen with some games.

Has anyone else had this with a genuine game before?

I haven't. Does it autorun & install the game? Or does it ask what you wanna do with the CD-RW?

I haven't. Does it autorun & install the game? Or does it ask what you wanna do with the CD-RW?

No, it doesn't autorun, or even ask what you want to do with the disc. And if I open up Windows Explorer and click on the drive, it brings up the "Files waiting to be burned to disc" screen. I've never had that with anything other than a writable disc.

I haven't tried to install the game as it was already installed from when I last played it ages ago.

No, it doesn't autorun, or even ask what you want to do with the disc. And if I open up Windows Explorer and click on the drive, it brings up the "Files waiting to be burned to disc" screen. I've never had that with anything other than a writable disc.

I haven't tried to install the game as it was already installed from when I last played it ages ago.

Yeah, that doesn't sound right, from what you've said definitely a copy mate.

Yeah, that doesn't sound right, from what you've said definitely a copy mate.

Yep I'm getting more and more convinced.

I've asked the eBay seller for a refund, saying that I think it's a pirate copy, and I just got a huge email back saying how they would never sell pirated games and blaming the disc quality on the fact that it's now classed as a "budget" game! (but in fairness they have agreed to a refund).

They also defended the fact that there was no paper instruction manual with the game (only on the CD) by saying that you get that a lot with budget games. Sounds plausible but I've never had that before with an SI game.

Yep I'm getting more and more convinced.

I've asked the eBay seller for a refund, saying that I think it's a pirate copy, and I just got a huge email back saying how they would never sell pirated games and blaming the disc quality on the fact that it's now classed as a "budget" game! (but in fairness they have agreed to a refund).

They also defended the fact that there was no paper instruction manual with the game (only on the CD) by saying that you get that a lot with budget games. Sounds plausible but I've never had that before with an SI game.

Sounds to me like they're trying to fob you off with an excuse, at least they agreed to give you a refund.

CD-RW is wrong for sure

If the box was sealed, there should be a manual in the box.

Definitely a fake.

Whilst I think in this case it appears you have been sold a fake copy, I think its worth pointing out that, (as has actually already been alluded to in this thread), many 'budget titles' - such as the 'Sold Out' series - do not ship with a game manual as it is included on the disc (usually in PDF format)

why play fm 06 when there is 10?

Either a completely idiotic comment or 'you be trolling!'...

---

I am confused to why someone would go to the trouble of having a real box and cover, make a fake CD and put a label on it and then sealing it up (pretty easy machine to get hold of actually) for just a couple quid?

Maybe it is just a defective CD, rather than someone making a fake. :thup:

Either a completely idiotic comment or 'you be trolling!'...

---

I am confused to why someone would go to the trouble of having a real box and cover, make a fake CD and put a label on it and then sealing it up (pretty easy machine to get hold of actually) for just a couple quid?

Maybe it is just a defective CD, rather than someone making a fake. :thup:

Seconded, but it sounds odd.

Still, the CD looks pretty much like the original by judging from the pic. It would be a tremendous amount of effort put in for that little money. But maybe then again it's a remainder from a more lucrative big rogue production from a few years ago...?

Turn the disk over. In the centre there should be some writing about a finger width from the whole. If it is counterfeit there is normally one of two mistakes:

1. The writing is printed on one side only (you can't tell with the FM disk because the label covers the other side).

2. The writing is is embossed.

Basically, if you can feel the writing with your finger it is fake (according to Microsoft's counterfeit expert anyway - no reason to assume that wouldn't apply here as the FM disks I have looked all have 'flat' writing).

That's not actually Amazon selling the item - it's from a third party supplier. The eBay seller that I bought from is also a VAT registered company, not just some guy that's selling his old games. So I didn't see that there's much difference between the two.

But after all this, I think I'll try the Amazon sellers and see what I get.

I'm still not totally convinced either way - but thanks for all your help, people.

Archived