Seriously needs an option to turn ref "mistakes off"

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am aware that at least 10 fanbois are going to point to Argentina and England in the World Cup as "Proof it hapenz!!11!"

I would ask, do those mistakes benefit or harm the game? Would we allow them if we had the ability to stop them?

There is no way to stop them at the moment so mistakes should be in the game. Almost every week a referee somewhere will make a contentious decision so to take it out of the game would be unrealistic. It is frustrating when it happens but it happens both ways and evens itself out eventually.

If you want a game of no mistakes, play an arcade game...

Dont tell me what I can and can`t play.

This game cannot code effectively for mistakes. Thus they are random and stupid, based on nothing beyond chance.

Do England have an option to award themselves a goal? Are Ghana ever able to discount the fact that Suarez turned into Peter Schmeichel? This game revolves around realism - if you take away the realism then its a different game. If there's an option for this in the editor then fair enough - but not in the main game itself.

But the game CANNOT code to make refs mistakes genuine. All it can do is throw a dice on every goal and see what happens. Thats ridiculous.

Incidently, the game cannot handle the "influencing play" rules either, so they are omitted. Realistic? No.

So if you got a tycoon come and invest a bucket of money would you want that turned off aswell?

As much as the game is about the numbers chance happens

Leeds beating Manchester united for one.

Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

Do England have an option to award themselves a goal? Are Ghana ever able to discount the fact that Suarez turned into Peter Schmeichel? This game revolves around realism - if you take away the realism then its a different game. If there's an option for this in the editor then fair enough - but not in the main game itself.

If we could. If FIFA could, would they?

But the game CANNOT code to make refs mistakes genuine. All it can do is throw a dice on every goal and see what happens. Thats ridiculous.

Incidently, the game cannot handle the "influencing play" rules either, so they are omitted. Realistic? No.

But its as close to realism as it can get, so its either that or nothing. As much as you may dislike it, the game is only a game, it is not real life. It is not complex enough to calculate every possibility that can happen, and tbh it does a good enough job of it with the offside decisions. There's a problem there IF you're not given the option to complain, or if you do complain and are called wrong even if you were right - but that's another argument.

I guess complaining is your strong point then?

Realism is what SI do and i think the world cup has proved officials do get it wrong, granted it happens alot more often in the game maybe it should be toned down more than given an option to turn it off completely.

But, by your own admission it is NOT realistic. Thus the "It teh realistics" argument fails.

To have weeks of play ruined because the AI threw a 6 rather than a 5 is utterly ridiculous.

Well that's how it is at the moment. It's the same with every other football management game, if not worse as this is the mot advanced and involved. I agree that the element of chance sucks, but if you think about it, it's chance that dictates whether a mistake is made in real life as well - so its not far off. It doesn't warrant an option to turn it off though - although as I said before, there may be a point for something along those lines in the editor.

I guess complaining is your strong point then?

Realism is what SI do and i think the world cup has proved officials do get it wrong, granted it happens alot more often in the game maybe it should be toned down more than given an option to turn it off completely.

But....but...we know that its not realistic and cannot be implemented in a realistic way. ITs a dice roll.

Please offer ONE logical reason why this should not be an option?

Well that's how it is at the moment. It's the same with every other football management game, if not worse as this is the mot advanced and involved. I agree that the element of chance sucks, but if you think about it, it's chance that dictates whether a mistake is made in real life as well - so its not far off. It doesn't warrant an option to turn it off though - although as I said before, there may be a point for something along those lines in the editor.

No it is not chance that determines the mistakes of officials in real life. There are lots of factors that influence a refs ability to make the correct call. He does not toss a coin "Heads its a goal Tails its not"

No it is not chance that determines the mistakes of officials in real life. There are lots of factors that influence a refs ability to make the correct call. He does not toss a coin "Heads its a goal Tails its not"

Of course there's chance in it. It's chance if there's 4 players blocking a referee's line of sight rather than 0. It's chance whether a referee notices a ball bounces over the line or not, if there are players in his way.

But it this way. A referee may see a player fall to the floor, in pain. He saw a player tackle him, but isn't sure whether he actually touched him - it could just be simulation - due to his line of sight being blocked. He may be 70% sure the fouled player was actually touched, so he calls for a freekick and books the tackler. So he has a 30% chance of being wrong - whether he is right or wrong is a tossup between his skill and chance.

It isn't unknown for referees to make mistakes that have no obvious cause.

I do agree that how mistakes occur needs work, but turning off mistakes (even as an option) is not the right move. Adding the option adds another set of code that needs to be fixed or updated.

Reading really isn`t your strong suit, is it?

And your strong point would be 'being an arrogant, obnoxious person who goes out of his way to offend people?' Your 2nd post in this thread was unnecessary, most of the others have just been plain rude. Not only is the use of 'fanbois' offensive but more to the point no one had even argued anything then.

If you want people to consider your opinion then you need to consider your posting style.

For the record, on this one I think you are way off base. Mistakes by refs happen for and against the user and AI and therefore it all evens itself out in the end. As others have argued, its all about realism, which isn't optional.

I think you've just had a couple of poor games, decisions have gone against you and now you are ranting at all and sundry. Not going to win you any friends.

And your strong point would be 'being an arrogant, obnoxious person who goes out of his way to offend people?' Your 2nd post in this thread was unnecessary, most of the others have just been plain rude. Not only is the use of 'fanbois' offensive but more to the point no one had even argued anything then.

If you want people to consider your opinion then you need to consider your posting style.

For the record, on this one I think you are way off base. Mistakes by refs happen for and against the user and AI and therefore it all evens itself out in the end. As others have argued, its all about realism, which isn't optional.

I think you've just had a couple of poor games, decisions have gone against you and now you are ranting at all and sundry. Not going to win you any friends.

The request to cut out the personal comments goes to you as well- your first paragraph was unnecessary.- no more please.

Would be boring if nothing was ever wrong in the game though. Yes you get a bit raging if you lose the final to an offside goal but it happens irl as well and tbh it's a grea feature in that sense. Would much rather them sort out defenders who don't make ridiculous mistakes for every goal. Most of my goals conceded tend to come from awful closing down (regardless of setting) or where the player simply runs away from the attacker for some reason.

personally i like having ref "mistakes" within the game. the players aren't all perfect, why expect the refs to be? i like that sometimes my team totally outplays the opposition, and yet sometimes still lose due to a lucky goal. i like that despite having all my players rested and happy, occasionally they come out and play horribly.

i like the challenge of overcoming adverse conditions, and still pulling a out a win

i imagine that just as some players are better than others, some referees are coded to be "better" whether its consistency, accuracy, or how much fouling they are going to allow. its something you have to adjust to during the game, another small challenge

Football involves humans. It involves human players, human team staff, human fans, and human referees.

Humans make errors.

If there was no attempt to simulate these errors, Football Manager would lose its integrity as a football simulation. And it wouldn't be worth playing.

I would doubt if it is a complete "roll of the dice" as mentioned here. Referees have attributes in the game like players and managers do and I would assume they are taken into account. Then it is based on reality the same way the whole game is. There will be an element of luck but the best referees, players and so on will make less mistakes than poorer ones. That also goes for everything in the game like deciding if a player is injured for example. Luck (random number) is probably an element but various statistics regarding the person is taken into account as well.

Mistakes are part of real life, but still they are wrong. I was disgusted when England (which it is not my country) when the goal against Germany wasn't allowed.

To be honest I think that football has been stuck in the 1930's, while other sports like rugby implements new technology that the supposed human errors can considerably diminished. it was not implemented and Independently of the reason is given, because there is big money in Football and this new technology is not in the best interest of the people behind Fifa.

Again I like realism in the game as much as any body else, but to an extent. Since I don't want in FM, corruption and mistakes like not allowing a goal that was clearly a goal. It only stains the good name of Football and the sport itself.

That is my point of view.

It's a fair point, grade, but until the FIFA allows video review technology, it shouldn't be in Football Manager.

Whether the presence or lack of it makes football better as a sport is irrelevant.

The point is that Football Manager aims to be as realistic a simulation as is practically feasible. Of real life football. Not some ideal fantasy version of it. That means that it needs to take every element into consideration - and referee performance is one of these elements.

But isn't the fantasy version an option with the editor? Why not a option ref that rarely don't make mistakes. If there is an editor to create fantasy leagues, then why not refs that rarely make mistakes?

What annoys me with ref mistakes is that you can only yell at the ref when the *press* lets you.. There should be an option to contact the FA as there was in the CM series.

Even then, you couldn't contact at random, there had to be something that was perceived as a mistake.

That brings me on to my next point: even if referees got every shout correct, they'd still make mistakes. Some of the mistakes in the game are due to the Match Engine being falsely represented rather than the Match Engine processing a mistake.

I would doubt if it is a complete "roll of the dice" as mentioned here. Referees have attributes in the game like players and managers do and I would assume they are taken into account. Then it is based on reality the same way the whole game is. There will be an element of luck but the best referees, players and so on will make less mistakes than poorer ones. That also goes for everything in the game like deciding if a player is injured for example. Luck (random number) is probably an element but various statistics regarding the person is taken into account as well.

The game really is not advanced enough to implement "human error" correctly.

What annoys me with ref mistakes is that you can only yell at the ref when the *press* lets you.. There should be an option to contact the FA as there was in the CM series.

Yes. So why can`t I bribe agents? Or other managers? Why cannot I accept bribes to throw a game?

This happens, so wjy is it not in the game? Where has the precious "realism" gone now?

Archived