Scots preferring England..

I've found every time I get a player that has a dual english/scottish nationality but are born in Scotland they try to wait for an England call-up. I can't call up this latest one for Scotland (says he's already been picked in a squad, even though it's only U20). Isn't this a bit strange? I mean If a glasgow-born scot that's been trained and played in scotland all his life decided to play for England wouldn't he be pretty much lynched? I mean there's an intense rivalry there. I'd almost liken it to being a turncoat in a war and fighting for the other side. Just seems so wrong.

Honestly part of me considers him a traitor even though I'm english, I just want this scotland team to do as good as it can and then this wonderkid goes and betrays us and decides england is for him, when they've got plenty of good players as it is.

Is there any way I can tempt him to scotland? or snap him out? I try to call him up every few days but the answer is always the same. Am I just doomed to miss out on such a great player?

You may have more luck calling up players if it's not for a friendly, or a qualifier, but an actual tournament.

Dennis Aogo dind't want to play for Nigeria, because he was waiting for a Germany call-up (which could never come - since the German team's unlicensed). I kept trying to call him up every game for a year, and he always said no: but when I called him up to my Africa Nations Finals squad, with the prospect of real silverware, he said yes.

Obviously IRL it would be very irregular to call up a player who had played no part in qualifying into your national team, but Capello did it ( Scholes - though he turned it down - and Carragher) so might be worth a shot, if you've got a tourney coming your way.

You may have more luck calling up players if it's not for a friendly, or a qualifier, but an actual tournament.

Dennis Aogo dind't want to play for Nigeria, because he was waiting for a Germany call-up (which could never come - since the German team's unlicensed). I kept trying to call him up every game for a year, and he always said no: but when I called him up to my Africa Nations Finals squad, with the prospect of real silverware, he said yes.

Obviously IRL it would be very irregular to call up a player who had played no part in qualifying into your national team, but Capello did it ( Scholes - though he turned it down - and Carragher) so might be worth a shot, if you've got a tourney coming your way.

Well, thanks for the input, sadly it may not help me, I took charge of the team after they failed to qualify for the european championships, so it'll be at least two years till the next tournament for me, so I suppose by then he'll probably have been called up for the england squad proper, as he's going to be good enough, he's already classed a wonderkid at 18.

Archived