Super Keeper question.

I've heard people talk about super keepers, but in 3 years of playing FM I've never seen one, that is until today.

As Coventry I was playing Preston. Their Keeper picks up a green injury while diving for the ball in the 13th minute. He is at 60% fitness and never goes up from that (after the game it says he has a damaged knee cap). Up to that point I had 3 shots, only 1 on target. I moved to an attacking style after the injury because the AI did not put in a new keeper. By the end of the game I had 21 shots total, 13 on target with 6 CCC's. Not one goes in. They scored one goal on a PK after my stupid DM decided it would be a good idea to foul on a loose ball in the box.

Their keeper is named man of the match after the game. And ends up with 6 - 8 weeks out injured.

This has really ticked me off that an injured keeper (especially his knee) is able to completly shut down my attack.

IRL I injured my knee cap (broke) in American Football and had to be taken out on a stretcher and then by ambulance to the hospital. Speaking from expeirence on this type of injury I find it impossible for this keeper to have played such a game.

If I recall correctly, the injuries are just added from a random list after the game, which is why they're sometimes a bit unlikely.

(I recently had a player play 75 mins with broken ribs, for example.)

The CCCs is just one of those things that happens sometimes. Your strikers had a bad day (or maybe all the chances fell to your centrebacks), just like IRL.

If I recall correctly, the injuries are just added from a random list after the game, which is why they're sometimes a bit unlikely.

The CCCs is just one of those things that happens sometimes. Your strikers had a bad day (or maybe all the chances fell to your centrebacks), just like IRL.

I wasn't aware that injuries are added in randomly after the match. If that is the case, than an injury like a damaged knee cap should be a red out of the game injury type. Just from personally having had it happen I know its not something you just rub some dirt in and go about your business. Broken nose been there done that and continued with the game, fingers as well. But when it comes to your knee, that is just too far fetched for me to believe.

About the CCC's, I took over this team about halfway through the campaign so they are not the best. I brought one good striker in during the Jan window but he was not in this game, so my strikers could have had a bad day as you mentioned.

I just think its unrealistic to have a keeper play with that type of injury and basically win the game for their team.

As far as I'm aware super keepers are a myth. Did it say he broke his knee cap or not? If not then you could understand it might not be too serious that he had to stop playing.

As I mentioned it said he had a damaged knee cap. That could be any number of things, but with 6 - 8 weeks out, I imagine its not just a contusion.

Have a look at what Simon Gerrans did this week:

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4862/Tour-de-France-Team-Skys-Simon-Gerrans-to-abandon-with-broken-arm.aspx

Broke his arm 7km into the stage

And then did another 182km climbing several alp cols.

I've heard people talk about super keepers, but in 3 years of playing FM I've never seen one, that is until today.

As Coventry I was playing Preston. Their Keeper picks up a green injury while diving for the ball in the 13th minute. He is at 60% fitness and never goes up from that (after the game it says he has a damaged knee cap). Up to that point I had 3 shots, only 1 on target. I moved to an attacking style after the injury because the AI did not put in a new keeper. By the end of the game I had 21 shots total, 13 on target with 6 CCC's. Not one goes in. They scored one goal on a PK after my stupid DM decided it would be a good idea to foul on a loose ball in the box.

Their keeper is named man of the match after the game. And ends up with 6 - 8 weeks out injured.

This has really ticked me off that an injured keeper (especially his knee) is able to completly shut down my attack.

IRL I injured my knee cap (broke) in American Football and had to be taken out on a stretcher and then by ambulance to the hospital. Speaking from expeirence on this type of injury I find it impossible for this keeper to have played such a game.

You have explained well how much of a freak event/performance that is according to your experience on FM. Therefore I wonder why you should see anything to worry about? It's a one-off which will only occur once in a blue moon and I see nothing wrong with it as long as it remains that infrequent. :)

The super-keeper myth is more related to that always happening which is plain simply a wrong accusation, often even partnered by conspiracy theories.

You have explained well how much of a freak event/performance that is according to your experience on FM. Therefore I wonder why you should see anything to worry about? It's a one-off which will only occur once in a blue moon and I see nothing wrong with it as long as it remains that infrequent. :)

The super-keeper myth is more related to that always happening which is plain simply a wrong accusation, often even partnered by conspiracy theories.

It's not so much something that I'm worried about. This season is trying to keep this team up and scoring goals has been bloody difficult for me with this team. Looking back on the stats of my 7 wins since taking over (started in November with the team in 16th place and have since moved up to 10th), I have won 6 of the games 1-0 and the other 3-0.

Thats the big reason why I felt it necessary to share, when wins are hard and scoring goals even harder, well having this happen got my attention. In the FA cup I drew Liverpool at Liverpool and lost 6 - 1. I can accept that. I just didn't appreciate the circumstances of that one loss to Preston.

It's not so much something that I'm worried about. This season is trying to keep this team up and scoring goals has been bloody difficult for me with this team. Looking back on the stats of my 7 wins since taking over (started in November with the team in 16th place and have since moved up to 10th), I have won 6 of the games 1-0 and the other 3-0.

Thats the big reason why I felt it necessary to share, when wins are hard and scoring goals even harder, well having this happen got my attention. In the FA cup I drew Liverpool at Liverpool and lost 6 - 1. I can accept that. I just didn't appreciate the circumstances of that one loss to Preston.

I'm not suggesting to be happy about that defeat ;)

I appreaciate that you ary trying to be realistic here and that you don't embark on a conspiracy discussion. I would take it as a one-off (which may be a fluke in the game or realistic as a rare event, who cares?) and not worry any further.

I too have some trouble in my save to get my team scoring after I recently took over at the moment. It's often a bit of a hassle to get the attacking tactics and the available players to match. Good luck :):thup:

I'm not suggesting to be happy about that defeat ;)

I appreaciate that you ary trying to be realistic here and that you don't embark on a conspiracy discussion. I would take it as a one-off (which may be a fluke in the game or realistic as a rare event, who cares?) and not worry any further.

I too have some trouble in my save to get my team scoring after I recently took over at the moment. It's often a bit of a hassle to get the attacking tactics and the available players to match. Good luck :):thup:

Good luck to you too. Sometimes I see these oddities and just accept them as just that. A one time event or a fluke that kind of stuff. And as I mentioned above I didn't know that the injuries assigned are random. After learning that, it helped a bit with my realization of the one-off it probably is.

On a side note, one of my problems with scoring is I always make my own tactics and since Coventry were doing poorly when I came in, I installed my own and it is probably one reason they have trouble scoring. Learning a new set tactic with a new coach can't be easy. I like to use a modified version of the Barcelona (who I actually have never managed) 4-2-4. Hopefully I can bring in the right players over the next off season to get it going how I want.

Archived