Left footers on the right wing help!

Yes, you can train players to play in a different position, but it is not a quick transformation. I bought a young Hungarian for Watford who was only 17, by 21, he was awesome! Left footed, but wanted to play on the right, so I made my right back bomb on up the wing, because he would cut inside and leave space for my defender to cross if he couldn't, had the opposition confused. Has this bloke got a high 'Flair' rating? Mine did, so he scored quite a few from a long way out!

I have a semi decent winger developing who is 19 y/o whos natural and only position is right wing. Can left footers play well on the right? will he be useless? and is it possible to train him to play on the left instead??

thanks in advance!

If you leave him on the right his right foot will improve over time or you could use him more as an "Inside Forward" if your tactics and his attributes suit the role as Stevo suggests.

Personally if he is more of a winger I would train him to play on the left as well giving you more options. Speed of training varies from player to player and partially depends on their hidden attributes. Actually playing him on the left whilst retraining him will also speed up the process.

Depends on what your strikers are like. As Villa manager, I purposely play Downing on the right (as a leftie) and Young on the left (even though his strognmest foot is his right). They cut inside, as my strikers are not great in the air, so I tend to cause havoc, making the DC come out to meet them, creating space :-)

I always play my wingers on the "wrong" wing for their foot. I play Barca style 4-3-3 so its ideal to do this. If you play a more traditional 4-4-2 or other formation with wingers used to cross the ball then if his crossing attributes are goo you should re-train him to play left side. If you use more inside forward based formation keep him on the right and try get him to learn PPM's such as cut inside and move into channels.

thanks fellas,

He's a typical winger playing in a 4-4-2, and the problem was that he kept playing down the right and then failing to cross as he didnt have the abilty to use the right foot (he is a 'left foot only player'). If he did cut in then it would be more because he was panicing than anything else lol

Both my current wingers on each side play with the right foot, and both score plenty so only seem to be failed at this 'opposite foot' lark.

Am thinking just shove him on the left and force him to chance his way :)

also another thing, does the english natiion and just the game in general not really favour wingers? I find it VERY hard to find wingers with great dribbling crossing and creativity, and the handful of them that do exist are worth 20 odd million each :S Surely crossing dribbling and creativity are the main assets to a winger?

Archived