Is there any reason why there isn't the option to play the game as a real manager?

Licensing? I can't imagine how it would change gameplay that much one way or another, it's mostly cosmetic, but that if anything tilts the balance towards the side of wondering why this feature isn't in the game. Nothing to playtest, surely.

You could change your name to Alex Ferguson, but that only leads to the absolutely strange scenario of the real article signing on to, say, City and going up against the player-controlled imposter.

I'd love this feature, i don't think there's neccesarily a licensin issue, can't see why there would be.

it'd be sweet to see this included because atm if u wanted to be ferguson or any other manager on the game, they'd still be there too and it'd be annoying, even if you rename them you'd still know it was them and if you get rid of them from the editor, they're still there in that their name is on awards and stuff and you get that message at the start of the season about your team's current transfer dealings which says stuff about the previous manager, which would make it stupid so i'd love to see you be able to take over sir Alex etc...

Really don't see the point of doing this.

just something different, one of the main reasons why people would want this i think is because we can't be ourselves (can't have a <30 yr old manager thing) and a totally made-up profile doesn't appeal to everyone, i guess. with this in mind maybe just read my post again and then you'll see why it would be beneficial for some poeple. no-one is suggesting that this replaces the current system so just chill, yeah? :thup:

Agree with Nep. We do however have the power of an editor - delete Fergie, then start a new game with a manager called Alex Ferguson. It's not ideal because you don't get his history and everything but it'd work.

I'd love this feature, i don't think there's neccesarily a licensin issue, can't see why there would be.

Because you may be falesly representing a real-life person perhaps. As long as they're an AI controlled set of numbers it should be all right, but when it's a real life person it could be a different story.

I'm just specualting here, but it is logical reasoning.

Because you may be falesly representing a real-life person perhaps.

I'm just specualting here, but it is logical reasoning.

I see where you're coming from but it's not like the feature would be used to "falsley represent" something, it's not like you'd use the feature in the game and then start telling all the world that you are Arsene Wenger or Pep Guardiola or anything, you would be falsley representing this person in a game universe which is only for the eyes of yourself or anyone you have in a multiplayer game, in an online game this would of course present a problem but otherwise i think it wouldn't matter too much. It'd be nice if we could have some feedback to this from SI in regard to a) might it happen and/or b) are there likely to be any legal/licensing issues? but obviously they are quite busy and can't keep an eye on everything.

I'd like this, though probably not as much as having "my name in lights". It irks me that I've let to the sacking of a perfectly respectable manager. Also, if I'm managing in the style of a manager, I'd like to "take over" from him.

• 2 weeks later...
I see where you're coming from but it's not like the feature would be used to "falsley represent" something, it's not like you'd use the feature in the game and then start telling all the world that you are Arsene Wenger or Pep Guardiola or anything, you would be falsley representing this person in a game universe which is only for the eyes of yourself or anyone you have in a multiplayer game, in an online game this would of course present a problem but otherwise i think it wouldn't matter too much. It'd be nice if we could have some feedback to this from SI in regard to a) might it happen and/or b) are there likely to be any legal/licensing issues? but obviously they are quite busy and can't keep an eye on everything.

Sorry for being so late with this, but when British libel law is being used to pulp books on objection to statemements of fact, e.g. person X has a conviction for offense Y in state Z (and not dictatorships either) then sueing over keyboard jockeys living out a fantasy life where they're e.g. a Govan boy done good is not too unrealistic.

I always have a problem with creating my self and becoming the Liverpool manager. It just doesn't feel right that I have no experience yet I'm managing a massive club...so I always end up starting in the lower leagues. I would welcome the option to assume an identity of an established manager so I wouldn't feel so unqualified.

A good option could be to give the player a chance to create a managerial history for their custom manager, that way you wouldn't be jumping into the Man Utd job with no past experience except the fact that you played at International level!

Archived