An ungrateful little brat

I bought a 19 yo player from Italy, and just 32 days in to his time at Leeds he asked his agent to start looking for another club :( His exscuse is he has not settled in to the area like he had hoped. I have bent ove backwards helping him settle, but looks like i will have to let him go, unless i can figure out something soon. I have gave him a leave of absence for a month to see if that helps, but i am not holding my breath on that one working.

Anyone had this in the past, and what did you do to help them settle in to the club, short of selling them on.

England4Ever

I had a brat episode too. Regen in my Madrid youth team was scoring for fun and my coaches said he was a wonderkid destined to be a world class player. So at 17 I was giving him first team experience.

I then brought in a world class striker to beef up my aging but still decent strike force but suddenly the brat wants out because of too many strikers. I tried to turn him around but failed and he left on a free for Barca of all teams because I'd stupidly forgotten to renew his contract when he still had over a year left. Grrr....

If he doesn't perform poorly, keep him in your squad. I've never had a leave of absence do any good; however, I have kept two players struggling to settle in as starters on my team. They resolve their issue after a year or so.

My unsettled Left Defender over 4 years:

1. 30 games, 7.32 rating (in league)

2. 25 games 7.37 rating

3. 32 games 7.56 rating (league MVP)

4. 21 games (so far) 7.21 rating

I'm also listed as the only person under his favored personnel section, so apparently my decision to keep him in the squad the first year didn't hurt our relationship.

I think he has finally settled in after me taking him under my wing, sitting him down in the office with a nice cuppa, and finding out his problems. I gave him a new contract, got my star midfielder to tutor him, bought in a couple of italian coaches, and showed him around the Trophy room, sayin, "if you put your mind to it, you will have a very successful time here at Leeds United, with plenty of medals to show for your hard work".

It looks like this has bought him around, because he is now happy at the the club and settled in to the area, after just 6 months. I'm glad about this because at 20yo he is fast turning in to a top clad Defendeer/Def Midfielder for me.

Thanks for all your advice guys,

England4Ever

Archived