Reliance on scouts

Hi all,

Played FM07 until I nearly lost my girlfriend so had to pack it in!

I started FM10 and going well but I have a question on scouts. Do you know the Report Cards that you receive back, my scout (judging potential/ability is 19) will say "potential to be a good premiership player or potential to be a good championship player, etc".

Should I have complete reliance on this? If so, it is not that exciting. For example, can you get a player they may rate as average and he turns out to be a top Premiership player?

Scouts have two abilities called Judging Player Ability and Judging Player Potential, the higher these two stats are the better you can trust their call.

BUT, like anything their is a margin of error in there, so it is possible for your best prospect to not improve or the future world star striker not to be rated by the scouts.

This is to do with how they judge PA, which is estimated by looking at where they judge the players current ability is and compare it to their age and project what his PA should be (or this is how I am told it works).

With out using external tools to look at the hidden values (which ruins the game in my opinion) you have to learn to trust your scouts and never make snap judgements on players.

I ignore the scouts reports generally.

I look at their current stats (including determination which seems to be key) and their age. Then as long as the scout doesn't say 'isn't likely to improve in the future', I'll sign them.

As in real life, you cannot entirely rely on scouts.

Their ability and the number of reports on the player in question determine some of the report accurracy.

But even then: I checked that recently by creating a shortlist with all U18 talents with 190+PA and my best scout came back with 2.5 stars potantial reports for most of them.

Scouts seems to be good at determining the potential at an ordinary level. But apparently they are less precise when it comes to separate the brilliant from the good.

hth :)

Thanks for that....

Never looked at determination - makese sense.

Actually, according to tests made by other users professionalism is the most important attribute for ability progression. But that's a hidden one. You can still find professional players if you look at scout reports and their description of the plyaer personality.

Also make sure you are tutoring your promising youngster by players with high professionalism ( one of those personalities: fairly professional, professional, resolute, spirited, model professional, leader).

Determination does play a role, but just a minor one.

The scouts may say they have the potential to become a Premier League player. But not every player fulfills his potential. There are some attributes that determine a players' development. Good performances and good morale also helps. Even players that your scouts say are not worth signing can perform well, even if they shouldn't according to their stats. If you are looking for talents, you should avoid signing players that aren't 'likely to improve'.

I take far too much notice of my scout reports and player recommendations.

A typical game goes something like this.

"Your assistant manager recommends signing striker xxxxxxx who he believes will benefit the team"

*get scout report*

"This player must be signed at all costs"

Two weeks later

"Your assistant manager recommends signing striker xxxxxxx who he believes will benefit the team"

*get scout report*

"This player must be signed at all costs"

Archived