Vote: Feedback on the forum skin: Old vs New

Which forum skin do you prefer?  

497 members have voted

1. 1. Which forum skin do you prefer?

I realise its only just become available, but i'd like to get a true sense of the communitys opinion on the latest forum update.

My motives being, that I personally really dislike it, and this seems to be the general concensus. If this is infact a majority opinion, perhaps we may see a return to the old

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody always hates any forum upgrade. And then when the next upgrade comes, the same people complain because the previous upgrade was so good, etc, etc. The previous forum was extremely outdated, having some new software can only be a good thing. It'll just take some getting used to.

Trust me, Ill never say that this skin is good.

The sooner it gets changed again, the better, cos I doubt it can be worse than this.

Will see about that in the future then.

I love some of the new upgrades though such as being able to reply to a quote without having to load to an advanced replying system also some much more better smilies and it's alot more modern which is always a good thing

Everybody always hates any forum upgrade. And then when the next upgrade comes, the same people complain because the previous upgrade was so good, etc, etc. The previous forum was extremely outdated, having some new software can only be a good thing. It'll just take some getting used to.

If this skin was even remotely as usable as the last one, I couldn't care less about the colour scheme.

The beauty of the previous one was that it was simple and intuitive to use. This one has links positioned all over the place. It's a horrid mess.

Yes, I quite agree with you. However the problems arise when we're confronted not with some smart, sleek, new software but an abomination of a skin which not only wastes a huge amount of space but causes users' eyes to ache, is nigh on unnavigable and just generally looks very scruffy.

The previous forum was extremely outdated, having some new software can only be a good thing. It'll just take some getting used to.

But what comes with that software? The only new thing I see are these stupid smilies... :| And obviously the color which we should be able to change imo...

Personally I like it and at the same time I didn't mind the last one either. It's a forum at the end of the day and as long as I can still post and engage in the community I mind very little what it looks like.

Now im really not happy. What a load of crap. YOU STILL GET LOGGED OUT WHEN YOU ARE INACTIVE FOR 10 MINUTES.

Heres an idea. You want feedback? Listen to the feedback! Why change something that didnt need to be changed yet the simple things that would make people's lives a lot easier are not implemented. Typical.

Why has SI got an obsession with polish this past year. They say you can't polish a turd. Im afraid this polish has turned this into a turd.

Im sure there is enough feedback now to know that we dont want this. Will it be acted upon?

Please change the function that logs you out every time you go for a crap. None of the other forums I use seem to do this. A totaly useless function and a waste of everybodies time.

And another thing. I tried to submit and guess what? It wouldnt let me post because ive logged in again but in a different window. This never happened with the previous layout. Once you logged back in, the other pages would simply carry on as normal.

Good job I copied my text before I tried to post because to be honest, I was expecting some kind of cock-up. It didnt disappoint

The thing that irritates me most is the most is the rigid edges on each side, which ruins any post with screenshots in them.

Not sure if it's just my screen or my browser but it just doesn't work.

And also it's not letting me use img tags anymore for some reason.

Other than that I actually quite like the colours and sleekness. Saying that though, not sure the old one really warranted a change.

Given that the "point" of the upgrade was to make posts stand out more (as well as improving integration with social networks etc., which has led to us having a Twitter feed at the top), I think it has failed. Less posts fit on a page, and the columns on the left containing usernames and so on are wider, reducing the room for posts.

Now im really not happy. What a load of crap. YOU STILL GET LOGGED OUT WHEN YOU ARE INACTIVE FOR 10 MINUTES.

Not sure whether it's browser specific but I'm still logged in and I've been idle for well over 10mins, you sure it's nothing your end?

Not sure whether it's browser specific but I'm still logged in and I've been idle for well over 10mins, you sure it's nothing your end?

No its definately the site. A few people have also said the same thing in the past. I currently use firefox but it is the same on IE aswell.

It may be more than 10 minutes, maybe 15-20 but thats not the point. You should not be logged out. No other forum I use does this.

There is way too much blank space... I get 4 lines of text per screen length. The light background makes everything look like it's floating in emptiness, not tied to a header or thread.

This. It seems that the "minimum" size of an individual post is like 10 rows of text for some reason and anytime somebody types less than this there is tons of whitespace? Plus images embedded in a post get stretched out beyond the edge of the "post window" which looks quite ugly!

I'm sure we'll get used to it but it would be nice to have some optional settings so people could configure it to display as they would like...

Archived