Player Exchanges - do they work at all?

I've never had success with making a player exchange proposal to a CPU team, does it even work at all in the game? I just made what I considered a pretty decent proposal, and got shut down cold:

From Me (Barcelona):

Lionel Messi

Sergio Aguero

Franck Ribery

£ 10 million

From CPU (Man Utd):

Dimitar Berbatov (now 33 years)

Man Utd rejects the proposal.

In fact, they didn't even see a reason to negotiate it.

Oh, and my assistant told me they were looking for a Striker and a Left Wing.

So, wtf?!

The key is, when you click on "Add Player", you sometimes get a list of recommended players, only in these cases will a P/Ex ever work.

For example, on my Tenerife save, I offered out one of my players, Juanlu Hens for £3.5m. I then went to the "Transfer" section of his profile to see who was interested in him. I then go to each club interested, see if there are any players I may want, then make an offer, in this case, for Valentin Stocker of FC Basel (a player who I'd been negotiated to £7.5m) of £1.1m + Juanlu Hens, which was accepted, and the transfer went through.

I started off with a straight swap, based on Stocker's value, which was the same as what I wanted for Hens (£3.5m), and from then on, started offering sums of money with it, so firstly £500k + Hens and then £1.1m + Hens (was supposed to be £1m, but clicked too many) which was then accepted.

All about trial and error.

The key is, when you click on "Add Player", you sometimes get a list of recommended players, only in these cases will a P/Ex ever work.

For example, on my Tenerife save, I offered out one of my players, Juanlu Hens for £3.5m. I then went to the "Transfer" section of his profile to see who was interested in him. I then go to each club interested, see if there are any players I may want, then make an offer, in this case, for Valentin Stocker of FC Basel (a player who I'd been negotiated to £7.5m) of £1.1m + Juanlu Hens, which was accepted, and the transfer went through.

Well, two out of the three players was on that list. I added Messi on top, I don't see how that would make a team less likely to accept a trade?

I started off with a straight swap, based on Stocker's value, which was the same as what I wanted for Hens (£3.5m), and from then on, started offering sums of money with it, so firstly £500k + Hens and then £1.1m + Hens (was supposed to be £1m, but clicked too many) which was then accepted.

All about trial and error.

My guess would be that you kept raising the price to where you would have gotten him even if the player wasn't included, but I don't know for sure of course.

I also notice that in 10.3, boards are very restrictive on transfer money. Barcelona lets me keep 30% of what I gain from selling? They're giving me £80mill at start of season, so I'm not really complaining, but letting the manager only spend 30% of what he brings in seems weird for a club swimming in money.

I have had player exchange offers accepted. *fixed

It's just the player I offer always rejects the other teams contract so it fails.

I remember once offering an exchange of Alex Song for Gourcuff in my early days of FM10 and it was accepted. Unfortunetly though Song decided to reject their contract, I was rather furious.

My guess would be that you kept raising the price to where you would have gotten him even if the player wasn't included, but I don't know for sure of course.

The players value was roughly £3.5m, and I had offers of £5m rejected, so the player I offered was key.

Yeah, when the other team makes the offer, I don't really have any problems.

:o

I meant to say I have had exchange offers accepted.

I cannot recall a time when I've been offered a player in exchange :thdn:

Weren't exchanges much easier on earlier FM's? I remember on FM05 vaguely that I had quite a lot of exchange offers accepted.

Player exchanges on this game are rubbish. I transferred Javier Garrido + $32million for Cheik M'Bengue. When M'Bengue transferred to my team it showed his value as being that of Garrido's. A measely $5.5million. Very very annoying.

Well, I remember one of my saves in FM2008

I was managing Ferro in the Nacional B (Argentina). Quilmes make an offer of $90K in order to get my first-choice defensive midfielder, Matías Carabajal. However, in an intelligent move, I wanted those $90K AND their first-choice striker, Diego Ceballos. They accepted, I ended buying Almeyda and having the Nacional B goalscorer...

id agree they defintly work i've signed one or two players by exchanging players

My most recent example was the exchange of a young academy graduate striker for my current first choice left back however i also had to part with £100,000 :(. And it seems to be befitting me greatly with my new left back playing exceptionally well and my former striker still struggling on the injury table so therefore on the fringes.

The best trade i got offered was on fm 2008 i believe when i was manager of coventry in the 3rd season when i was in the prem, arsenal offered me 3 very good reserve team players (who was easily good enough to get into my 1st team) plus 500k for my centre forward who i picked up on a free and he was just having a couple of good seasons. I accepted the offer 2 of the 3 players accepted, one decided he didnt want to and deal fell through, was gutted

On FM10 as everton ive just done a straight swap deal saha for M.diarra as i just dislike saha

I've never had success with making a player exchange proposal to a CPU team, does it even work at all in the game? I just made what I considered a pretty decent proposal, and got shut down cold:

From Me (Barcelona):

Lionel Messi

Sergio Aguero

Franck Ribery

£ 10 million

From CPU (Man Utd):

Dimitar Berbatov (now 33 years)

Man Utd rejects the proposal.

In fact, they didn't even see a reason to negotiate it.

Oh, and my assistant told me they were looking for a Striker and a Left Wing.

So, wtf?!

Apart from the fact that you should have got sacked with no prior warning after doing this ;) that offer should indeed have been accepted, so obviously something isn't working porperly here.

Still I have to say that exchange deals are about as rare irl as they are in the game.

On my network game both mates of mine managed to exchange deals which were pertty realistic and okay, so apparently it works at times, but if the deal above has been rejected, then there is certainly some work to do.

Man Utd couldn't afford the wages of all those players? Must be astronomical. But still, the exchange thing doesn't work brilliantly. Although then again, you don't get that many player swaps irl so meh..

you do get some quite noticeable ones though, look at Eto'o and Ibrahimovic last season, Galas and Cole not so long back, so they do happen, i think they are more common in italy though.

I offered £135million for Messi, Barca rejected, I offered £60mil and a 18yr old regen they were interested and they negotiated to £80mil and the regen.

The regen was ok to be fair, nothing special, i dont think he was going to be world class but he was improving at a significant rate. not worth the £50mil discount though!

I've only ever had one transfer with a player exchange, and I was on the selling side, but they only offered me a player capable of playing in my reserves so naturally I rejected the offer. I've seen a few happen in the game (mainly between top teams) but if I ever offer an exchange, it gets rejected.

Man Utd couldn't afford the wages of all those players? Must be astronomical. But still, the exchange thing doesn't work brilliantly. Although then again, you don't get that many player swaps irl so meh..

I'm pretty sure it's this. Adding more on doesn't automatically mean it will be accepted, as the other team still has to afford everything they're given.

Exchanges being annoying are one of the things holding back MLS as a league that can be fun to manage in long term.

I've done plenty of part exchanges in MLS which have worked well for me. If you have full intention of ripping off the other team it will obviously not work. You have to make fair trades that please both clubs like IRL.

Oh I know, I just think sometimes it's inconsistent. Like I'll have a good but surplus GK or ST and try to trade with a team that has lots of midfield depth but lacking the former, and they'll decline. I'll check the CA/PA to confirm they're close and it just doesn't happen.

I just can't predict when trades will work with any regularity.

I was completely shocked when I pulled off a Justin Mapp for Shalrie Joseph trade as the Fire. And completely stymied trying to send Jon Busch to a GK-less team for some backup center-mid.

I also notice that in 10.3, boards are very restrictive on transfer money. Barcelona lets me keep 30% of what I gain from selling? They're giving me £80mill at start of season, so I'm not really complaining, but letting the manager only spend 30% of what he brings in seems weird for a club swimming in money.

You must be talking about a different Barcelona ;)

Barcelona Finances

Archived