How do i avoid my team getting a mental breakdown after half a season?

Seriously, it's ridiculous. I've managed Bath City for a little over two and half seasons. Started in Blue Square South, promoted to Blue Square Premier, promoted to Coca-Cola League 2, where i'm currently placed first. So far so good right?

Well the really annoying thing is how my entire team gets a mental collapse around half-way through the season. Every season so far it's been exactly the same. I coast through the fall, winning most of my games, drawing a few and getting one or two losses. In my second season i had a 12 game winning streak at one point, in my third (and current) season i had 24 games without losing. But then in january/february, for no apparent reason, every single one of my players start underperforming. Or maybe my opponents just get extremely better. I start losing over 50% of my games, my whole team plays awful and can't seem to do anything right. My strikers score A LOT less, my goalkeeper keeps making mistakes, my defenders forget how to mark and misplace their passes, my midfielders cant get a single pass correct pretty much, etc. It's remarkable how much changes. It's not that I just start losing more, but I can see in every game how horrible my players are. I go from dominating games to being completely dominated by every team. I snatch a few wins here and there, and a few draws too, but i lose like ten times as much in the spring than in autumn. I've managed to win the series so far because I have such a big lead before this happens, but every season so far i've won the league by just a few points after leading by 15 or so before this happens.

It is so extremely annoying, and there must be something that's causing this, I refuse to believe that this is a coincidence or that this is just happening just because the game wants to screw with me. I don't get more injuries or anything, my players don't start acting complacent (I check the motivation every game), they just started playing poor, i have 3-4 players every game "having a poor game", and my average rating goes down to like 6.5...

Why is this happening? How the hell do i stop it from happening?

It's fairly difficult to hold up a good form the whole season. Usually even when most of the season is great you still have couple of weeks of bad run.

I kind of know what you feel and I would say that you need to rotate more. It's fairly easy to get too attached to your first XI (and why shouldn't you, if they score a lot and win goals) but they somehow tend to get tired and every player in FM seems to need a game or two off from time to time.

But players need also time to gel and perhaps are not playing at their best in the first game when they've been on the bench for a while. So you need to rotate very wisely, keeping your team strong enough to win games, but giving your star players some rest during the season and keeping 16-18 players in form at the same time. It sounds a lot easier than it is (in FM, not to even mention IRL managing).

do you use rotation??? i have 2 players for each position and i never have this trouble that you are mentioning.

got to say if anything iam at my worst in august and september with results and then get better.

Yeah, I'm in my Feb lull at moment, players starting to tire, in an effort to ensure CL place I've basically allowed my youth to crash out of the Europa League, CDL and French Cup it's my best shot in 9 seasons so one game a week on the run in will be most welcome!!

Why is this happening? How the hell do i stop it from happening?

Why is it happening? Because of jadeness. How to prevent it? Squad rotation. There's a couple of threads on the topic in Tactics and Training Forums, I suggest you go dig them out and read a bit.

Strangely, I usually find the opposite. I have a shakey, stuttering start to the season, just about getting a roll going by winter break, then storm the second half of the season. I would agree that rotation is a good idea. it doesn't have to be changes every game though, and you'll probably find that not all players suffer from the same level of jadedness. Try playing a couple of backup players for the 'easier' games. I wouldn't change the whole starting 11 at once though..

In 10 seasons, I only have 1 season in which my form kept up from start til end. Most of my games I had a bad run of form somewhere during the season. It might be the start, or the middle or the very end. For my case, my players don't really perform badly. The strikers just have a goal drought and there goes all my goals.

As well as tiredness in your first team being a factor I have also read on other threads on here that weather and pitch conditions changing throughout the course of a season can play a big part in causing a sudden loss of form, especially if your tactics are focused on fast tempo, high pressing and short passing. It might be worth considering playing a more direct style of passing later on in the season when pitches start to get 'cut up' and have less pressing as a poor pitch will tire your players faster making them more prone to lapses in concentration and making mistakes.

Hope this helps :thup:

Archived