New Guy Into FM2010

To quickly introduce myself, I'm a 24 year old Out of the Park Baseball fan, who has known about FM for quite some time, but never sparked the interested to actually try it out.

This year I started playing some rec league soccer to rekindle my childhood memories of playing, and have been having a blast. I also have been following the World Cup fairly closely, and begun reading wiki's for European Football.

I think I have a fairly basic understanding of how the game works. I've been playing Vanilla for 10-15 hours now, and decided to purchase the game to get further involved.

Here's a few questions some may be able to help me out with.

Is there any fun in playing with a MLS team? I like the idea of working myself up through the system, and since I'm from America, starting in America. Is there any chance the league gains respectability years into a sim?

In the Vanilla version I have been playing with Fulham FC, and had some good success. I beat Villareal in a close game in group play for one of the cups, but I also lost a few games to teams I should have beat.

How often do players get rotated typically? I noticed I run out my "best" players game after game, as long as they have the endurance to do so.

Also I looked at the training screen and had no idea what I was looking at, some players had up arrows, some had down arrows, am I supposed to be doing things to manipulate how these guys get better?

I have paid little attention to my reserves/U18s rosters? Do players go up and down quite often or not at all?

I have been trying different tactics and have seen some luck with some, and had disastrous results with others, is there any tutorials or guides to help one gain an idea of what might be a good idea with the team present?

Also is there a guide for which ratings are important for certain positions or roles?

Is there an easy way to see if I'm getting fleeced in a transfer deal?

Thanks for everyone's help, I did some searches, found some good pointers, but still have these questions remaining? My goal is to get a firm understanding with this version while looking forward to the next version! Perhaps get involved in the modding community at some point as well.

Thank you!

JWay

Welcome to FM10.

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

That is the link to the tactics forum there are plenty of threads that give advice on tactics and training. You can download tactics that other people have had success with in there or read some excellent threads that give good advice on building your own tactic. There are also some very good training schedules you can download which will help you get an idea of how to create your own or simply use the ones in there.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=153794&page=32

That's the link to the buy and sell thread in the good player and team guide forum, basically post the transfer deal you are thinking about in that thread. There is usually someone around that will answer pretty quick if they think the deal is worth it or if there are other players that could be worth a look. There are also plenty of club threads with advice from people playing as that club.

If you click on the player positions the then select their role the highlighted sections will be the most important attributes for the player to play in the position and perform the role you want from them. I always play my best players if their condition is above 90 percent but different people play different ways. Sometimes I will rest them if I have an easy cup game or have already won the league to give the youngsters a run out.

Hope that helps.

Is there any fun in playing with a MLS team? I like the idea of working myself up through the system, and since I'm from America, starting in America. Is there any chance the league gains respectability years into a sim?

League reputation doesn't change currently so the top leagues now will still be the top leagues 50 seasons down the line. Hopefully this will be improved in future versions.

In the Vanilla version I have been playing with Fulham FC, and had some good success. I beat Villareal in a close game in group play for one of the cups, but I also lost a few games to teams I should have beat.

A couple of things spring to mind but it could be others:

A) Players - Demand more from them especially at home when you are clear favourites.

B) Tactics - Underdog teams play defensively making it difficult to break them down, you need to stretch the game.

How often do players get rotated typically? I noticed I run out my "best" players game after game, as long as they have the endurance to do so.

Some people expect their main players to play every match. personally I don't.

With a week between games players should recover but with mid-week matches as well its more difficult. I try to limit rotation to 3-4 players per match and with two matches a week I'll try to give every player a match off (Maybe on bench) every 3-4 games.

Also I looked at the training screen and had no idea what I was looking at, some players had up arrows, some had down arrows, am I supposed to be doing things to manipulate how these guys get better?

The arrows are how a player is performing in training. Not a lot you can do except keep them happy.

I have paid little attention to my reserves/U18s rosters? Do players go up and down quite often or not at all?

I would say not a lot.

Personally I do the following:

A) U18s stay at in the U18 squad unless they are exceptional and can play first team.

B) At the beginning of the season I pick 20-23 first team players with any left over in the reserves. I call reserves up to cover injuries mainly or to replace a player not performing.

C) The smaller the team the less likely you are to have a lot in the reserves.

I have been trying different tactics and have seen some luck with some, and had disastrous results with others, is there any tutorials or guides to help one gain an idea of what might be a good idea with the team present?

Read the TT&F guide to get a better understanding.

Also is there a guide for which ratings are important for certain positions or roles?

I presume you mean attributes, if so on the tactics screen it highlights the main ones when you select a position & role.

Is there an easy way to see if I'm getting fleeced in a transfer deal?

There are no set prices.

A player is worth whatever you value him at.

JWay, people like you are always well received in the FM Community, hence you were given excellent advice from two very loyal users on these forums. If I were you, I would stick to the transfer systems you know at the moment, get well equipped with it, then potentially become an MLS manager. Have fun, your knowledge in football will undoubtedly grow exponentially from here on in.

Archived