January Challenge - Sport Boys

This is the first in a series of monthly challenges which will run for one calendar month and involve playing just one season with a chosen team. Anyone can take part as many times as they like. The aim is simple, just do as well as possible in your one season in charge.

Sport Boys

The club was founded on July 28, 1927 by a group of young enthusiasts from the city Callao who got together to fulfill the dream of Gualberto Lizárraga, form a football club. The day before Peru's independence day, July 27, they met. At midnight, the group sang the national anthem of Peru. Afterwards, they began forming the club and Gualberto Lizárraga became president. The group then unanimously voted for the club name to be Sport Boys Association.

The team's original uniform was not pink but striped red and yellow.

Sport Boys was the first Peruvian football club to feature cheerleaders. Many of them, including Anelhí Arias, Shirley Cherres, and others that have become famous Peruvian celebrities.

Club Information Page

As you can see, the media are predicting the club to finish 6th, the board are expecting the club to finish just behind the top teams in the league.

The Rules

Load a game with the Peruvian league only, a large database (or smaller if preferred) and the attribute masking and the transfer boxes ticked. No additional players from any nation should be loaded.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you.

Add a manager with automatic past experience and Peruvian nationality only.

When you start the challenge, make sure you post a picture of your manager profile, like this.

You may only sign players for whom you can obtain a scout or coach report for, this means you can only sign players from within your scouting restrictions or players who you can attract on trial to the club.

No external scouting utilities should be used and the database should be the official SI one with no non-graphical changes.

Exploiting the setting up of friendlies for reserve teams in order to make money is considered cheating.

Anything related to the challenge may be discussed in this thread, including players, tactics etc. Feel free to update as you want, I think a monthly update should be sufficient.

When you complete your season, post the following screenshots in your review:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI>League Tables

<LI>Squad

<LI>Transfer History

<LI>Finances Summary

There won't be any kind of points system, but I'll keep a leader board with league positions and points won.

Good Luck icon14.gif

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by westhamrob:

Sounds good.

So you choose any Peruvian Club?

And how did you get your profile picture as that? It looks like face-gen icon_razz.gif

Maybe I didn't make that clear, Sport Boys is the only club you can manage.

The profile picture came from here.

Originally posted by Benjaminoo:

Nice to see a series of monthly challenges introduced.

How many games are in a Peruvian season?

It's one of those opening stage/closing stage type seasons, so it looks like quite a lot. Looks like 44 league games but there's bound to be some daft playoff system at the end.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

i like the idea Dafuge. might have a look at this tonight...

how did you come to choosing this team for the challenge? are you a fan of pink... icon_wink.gif

Just thought they looked interesting, if not a little camp.

I'll have a go at this as well. (I'll also be trying only once, no matter how poor we perform.)

Manager profile.

The squad looks in reasonable shape. I haven't looked at each player individually yet, but going by the assistant's reports, there are a lot of quality players.

I told the board we'd challenge for the title. Claiming we'd win it would've increased the budget some more, but I didn't want to come off too arrogant. And I'd prefer not to get sacked before the end of the season, in case we're struggling.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PoopyPants:

Just realised I have my favourite team as Liverpool.

Will that be why?

That'll be it, that's fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, thanks icon14.gif

February 26th

Well, that's it for pre-season. Our friendlies results were quite encouraging - don't think I've ever won 4 out of 6 in any FM08 pre-season.

I'm not bothering with coming up with the perfect tactic for the players at my disposal, and instead will be using the tactic I've used in another save and hope for the best.

I think this'll be my starting eleven.

Knowing I'll only be managing this team for one season is a bit different than normal. I signed seven new players. That in itself isn't unusual, but the fact that they're all between the ages of 32 and 38 isn't quite normal for me.

There just seemed to be quite a few old Peruvian internationals without a club. Whether it was a good idea to pick up several of those will remain to be seen.

Originally posted by CoachFlu:

Knowing I'll only be managing this team for one season is a bit different than normal. I signed seven new players. That in itself isn't unusual, but the fact that they're all between the ages of 32 and 38 isn't quite normal for me.

There just seemed to be quite a few old Peruvian internationals without a club. Whether it was a good idea to pick up several of those will remain to be seen.

Right after wondering whether forming a squad with so many old geezers was a good idea, one of my players went out for three weeks with... arthritis. icon_eek.gif

It's not one of the new signings though, but a 33 year old defender who was already at the club. Still a bit ironic. icon_smile.gif

March 31st

I suppose a monthly update isn't excessive in a one-season challenge.

League Table

We almost got through our first month undefeated, but then we lost against rivals Sporting Cristal. Luckily we got a draw against rivals Alianza Lima, and a win against rivals Universitario, so it was a decent month.

(The club has five rivals, four of which are in the same division, which means that 16 of the 44 league matches will be rivalry-fueled.)

Bit too soon to get a real sense of our strength compared to the other teams in the league, but I think we're probably where we should be.

Argurios Morningstar

I think the squad is pretty strong to start with. One or two signings should lead to a title challenge and ive informed the board as such. They have given me £1.4m which should be adequate.

First friendly is against Lawn Tennis?

I have Everton(CHI) as my fav team however i expect i wold have had knowledge of chile anyway so it shouldnt make a difference

Update - 1/3/07

With the pre season over we find ourselves looking forward to the upcoming title challenge with plenty of optimism after an unbeaten preseason. Won 4, Drew 2.

Made four signings, two left wingers and two strikers. One a target man and the other a pacey striker.

These two imparticlar impressed the fans.

Jorge Alegria Fan Reaction

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff125/Boskovic14/general%20FM/Aguirre.jpg Fan Reaction

Neither of which cost as mch as my big signing. Del Solar. Who, although he never recieved the same enthusiasm as the other two, is in my opinion the most exciting of the for signings.

Another name i was excited to see amongst th sqad upon my arrival at the clb was one Johnnier Montano. A player who i have had past experience with in previous FM games.

Update - 1/4/07

Well preseason optimism seems to have been well and truely missplaced with the team racking up just the single win out of the first five games.

P5 W1 D2 L2 F7 A8 Pts5

Colan has shown himself to be the most impressive player so far with some mazey dribbles down the right wing.

After a slight misunderstanding of the rules i failed to register Del Solar in time for the opening game which was a 0-0 draw even though we dominated for mch of the match.

Jorge Aguirre retrned from injury to make his full debut in our first win of the season 4 games into it. Our first defeat was against league champions Alianza Lima at their place and it was not a pretty afair with us being 3-0 down at half time. We came out good in the second half and were denied a pen and had a goal dissallowed. It stayed 3-0 till the end however.

Update - 1/5/07

Well this month we achieved our second win of the season along with or 3rd 4th 5th and 6th defeats. One of which was against Total who were given odds of 50-1 prematch.

This Month

P5 W1 D0 L4 F2 A5 Pts3

Overall

P10 W2 D2 L6 F9 A13 Pts8

Update - 1/6/07

We contine the trend of one win a month with this months win coming against last years champions and top of the leage Alianza Lima through a controversial penalty. An all together mch better month with s only jst losing the last game after being 2-0 and 3-2 up during the game.

This Month

P5 W1 D3 L1 F5 A5 Pts6

Overall

P15 W3 D5 L7 F14 A18 Pts14

A particular highlight this month was Jorge Alegria's Hatrick in the last game of the month.

A particular low point was Jorge Alegria's sending off after recieving two yellow cards, both for diving.

Update - Early July

I know this breaking the monthly update rle however it seems my challenge has come to a prematre ending.

This Month

P1 W0 D0 L1 F0 A2 Pts0

Overall

P16 W3 D5 L8 F14 A20 Pts14

It seems a 2-0 defeat away to Sporting Cristal was the final nail in the coffin

League Table

Squad

Transfer History

SACKED

For obvious reasons i cant post financial summary however i was making about 50-70k a month after the transfers had gone through

Despite the poor performance i really enjoyed this. Shame i got sacked as i thought i was starting to turn things around.

Still as im first to finish that means im top of the league doesnt it?

As with many others this was only going to be a one of attempt so i eagerly await Febuary's challenge

Archived