FAMAS - or rediscovering the lurve.

Been playing since the days of CM2 and Clive Tyldesley's audio commentary ("short to the near post..."). Anyway, have always enjoyed later FM games, but always struggled to really have any success, despite reading all the TT&F and scouring the forums. I always play as Aston Villa and rarely manage to finish any higher than they do in real life (6/7/8).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was getting a bit peeved, thinking it's a bit too much "art imitates life" :-). So I decided to start one last game, to see if I could crack it and enjoy the game like I used to. So I decided to do one thing different; one thing that has made all the difference not just to my enjoyment, but to my results. FULL MATCH MODE!

Yes, it takes ages, but then I thought, well, Martin O'Neill can't just watch key highlights, he has to sit through hour upon hour of turgid football, trying to make changes so why should I get away with it.

It's a revelation - not only do I know understand much more about how the game works, but I find that I am taking my time with team selection and targeting opposition players BECAUSE I can't bear the thought of being 2-0 down after 10 minutes with the whole match to watch. :-)

In my first season, we finished 8th, but won the Europa league, and in my second, I am sat top after 9 games, including 3-0 wins over Man U and Chelsea. Hooray for full-match mode. Okay, so I only get to play maybe two or three games per day, and a season takes an age, but it's a great sense of being involved and you really do get to know your players and how they respond.

I hereby start the Full MAtch Appreciation Society (or FAMAS)

I think it's an interesting philosophical debate on the whole game/simulation thing. As an example, I also play on Flight Simulator, which gives you the option to speed up time. So I'd say, take off from Heathrow but then speed up time until 200 miles from San Francisco. I'd never dream of sitting in front of the PC watching clouds go by in real time :-o but then nothing is likely to happen (my co-pilot isn't likely to go in two-footed on an air-hostess). Maybe Flight Simulator should include a 'Jihadist is clean through on the cockpit...." option. lol

Since this is the first FM I've played since FM2007, I decided to watch a match or two on Full when I began my first season - to have a good look at the 3D ME, and tbh I have watched all my matches since then on full, excluding friendlies which I always leave to the ass man.

I have to admit it's the first time I've been able to see how my tactics take shape in the game, and also how player attributes are represented and applied in the ME. The season do pass slowly though, I'm only into November in my first save. Can't see myself going back to 2D/Highlights only, not for a while anyway.

One hundred percent true that watching matches helps in gaining understanding and getting results. I still tend to go Key-moments only, but when the pressure is on I go to extended. Also, I played since CM2 and got flabbergasted exactly like you did. I found FM way too difficult, but now I know about this it is getting easier again. (phew)

I just use key or extended these days because I am winning games comfortably, but when I was struggling at the start I played a few games on full match to see the big picture, it really helps. This is a good tip to newbies in their pre-season friendles, watch as much as you can which will help you see how your tactics translate to the pitch.

Yeah' date=' on purpose, but then realised it doesn't work as an anagram[/quote']

Acronym ;) An anagram is the same backwards as forwards.

Yeah, watching full highlights certainly helps you gauge better what shouts you need to use.

Archived