Player instructions and opposition instructions. Must be the other way around?

I set one of my player's "Long shots" to "Often". But when I sub him in the game, new player inherits those settings. Doesn't make sense. I don't want the new player to shot because his shooting is low. I have to change the setting every time. Some settings must be "Player Specific", not "Position Specific".

On the other hand, in opposition instructions, when I set an opponent player to be closed down always, the settings will be gone when he subbed. I have to set it for his replacement again.

I think this setting must be position specific. I mean if the new player will play in his position, opp. instr. setting must be left as it is.

There is no ideal way of dealing with it. Some people prefer one way, other people prefer the opposite.

In terms of player instructions if you stick with the tactics creator the role is very quick & easy to change when you make a sub, its even included in the pop up so you don't have to go into the tactics screen.

For OP not inheriting is the better option as you don't always treat two players the same.

Specific player instruction should be a MUST for FM11 ;)

To be honest though, the players should be "smart" enough to eventually override the instructions when it's clearly a bad idea...

Let's say my MC has Long Shots set as Often, because my 1st choice has 16... When I play the backup MC, who has a Long Shot attribute of 8, he should just "know" he's not good enough to shoot from 25 yards...

Or a winger who can't cross shouldn't need 10 missed crosses to realize it's time to stop.

Specific player instruction should be a MUST for FM11 ;)

To be honest though, the players should be "smart" enough to eventually override the instructions when it's clearly a bad idea...

Let's say my MC has Long Shots set as Often, because my 1st choice has 16... When I play the backup MC, who has a Long Shot attribute of 8, he should just "know" he's not good enough to shoot from 25 yards...

Or a winger who can't cross shouldn't need 10 missed crosses to realize it's time to stop.

But when their manager keeps telling them to try long shots or crosses... don't you want your players to listen to you?

But when their manager keeps telling them to try long shots or crosses... don't you want your players to listen to you?

Sure, but when the manager's instruction are "stupid" or go against the player's ability, there's nothing wrong with ignoring them...

Not saying players should go Anelka on you, but if a player couldn't hit a rugby goal from 10 yards, there's little point in keeping on shooting from 30 yards...

Sure, but when the manager's instruction are "stupid" or go against the player's ability, there's nothing wrong with ignoring them...

Not saying players should go Anelka on you, but if a player couldn't hit a rugby goal from 10 yards, there's little point in keeping on shooting from 30 yards...

I wish someone had told Didier Zokora that while he was at Spurs :(

Not agreed.

The game 'assumes' that if you make a change within one position you'll want to have the new player covering that position in the same way. That at least in a general sense for most of his settings. Long shots is just one of around 15 settings you can make, keep that in mind.

At the same time the game does not not 'assume' the same when the opposition make a substitution as they depend on the skills of that player much more than most of your setting in respect of your own players.

That being said, I think the assumption is fair. You would probably have to make more changes when it was the other way around. Just imagine the hassle of having to go through every single tactical setting for a sub you bring on! Surely that would be much more work.

Thus I believe that it should remain this way around. Save us from lots of hassle.

What would be nice however is if you could somehow, outside the tactic, give some labels to your players which save you even from the one setting you have to change now. Like a right-footed player who could be set to an inside forward role automatically when playing as an AML or, like in your example, never take long shots whatever the position is.

Yet, I'm afraid that would take lots of work to be implemented properly :(

That being said, I think the assumption is fair. You would probably have to make more changes when it was the other way around. Just imagine the hassle of having to go through every single tactical setting for a sub you bring on! Surely that would be much more work.

Which is probably why it should be something I can set for specific players. So I have my position settings which are the general ones that the player uses ... but if I have one who have tremendous long shots rating, then I can set for him to Often do those, no matter which position or tactic I use. If he is subbed with one with a abysmal score, then he has been told to never do them.

Currently I think that SI intended for us to use the PPMs to do that, but problem is that it takes too long before they are learned, and sometimes they either refuse to learn or can't adopt their game. Also the PPMs can't be "turned off" if you decide in some matches to not have him do so many Long Shots.

I would like what the OP suggests, and maybe others don't. But then they could make it a team setting option, which of the methods you want to use.

Archived