Press Conference

Dear SI,

With all respect, I hate press conferences and believe it is an unnecessary aspect of the game. It is very difficult to emulate a real-life conversation and it is a lot of work for you to put in creating a whole conversation between the player and the AI press. Honestly speaking, and yes I speak on the behalf of you FM fans, we won't miss this feature one bit if its scrapped off in the next release (if you think I'm wrong sue me).

So my dear SI, I would be jubilant if this feature was omitted from FM11 and I would appreciate it if you consider the thought for the least.

Regards,

FM Fan

Honestly speaking, and yes I speak on the behalf of you FM fans, we won't miss this feature one bit if its scrapped off in the next release (if you think I'm wrong sue me)

What makes you think you're speaking on behalf of FM fans?

I think the feature is necessary, it just needs to be implemented better.

Just another add on that is not needed, i guess their will be more in FM2011.

I wouldnt mind so much if they were not so lazy with the wordings used with every question, the same question can be asked in so many ways but if it is always asked in the same way it becomes boring.

Would you prefer if SI waste 1 month on improving Press Conferences or allocate their efforts into something more important such as AI behavior in the transfer market, new-gens issue which is damaging the game's long term playability, new training features, better 3d ME (actually a lot better), managerial reputation development that is unrealistic which affects the board and fans reaction to what you do, turning a tiny club like Chesterfield into a giant like man utd, etc...

Yeah I though so.

Look I'm a die-hard fan of this game but these points mentioned define the game and are the core components to making the game more playable enjoyable. During the CM series, these new mickey mouse features didn't exist and made the game addictive, fun and less faulty. Today though, oh my its just the more features added the more bugs appear and this is plain ridicilous.

Excuse me for ranting,

FM Fan

Would you prefer SI to waste 1 month on improving Press Conferences or allocate their efforts into something more important such as AI behavior in the transfer market, newgens issue which is damaging the game's long term playability, new training features, better 3d ME (actually a lot better), managerial reputation development that is unrealistic which affects the board and fans reaction to what you do, turning a tiny club like colchester into a giant like man utd, etc...

Si's team is big enough NOT to have to choose.

Look I'm a diehard fan of this game but these points mentioned define the game and are the core components to making the game more playable enjoyable. During the CM series, these new mickeymouse features didn't exist and made the game addictive fun and less faulty.

If you don't want the features, just play cm 00-01? I'm sure you'll be the first to complain if SI didn't add any new features to the game though.

Today though, oh my its just the more features added the more bugs appear and this is plain ridicilous.

No, it's not. That's actually the normal way things go, if you put more things in it, more things can be broken.

Excuse me for ranting,

FM Fan

You are excused :).

I fully agree. While at it, either massively improve team talks (what you can say, how it's worded, what it results in, what feedback you get and how it's displayed) or provide some option to turn those off together with press conferences.

Criticising player form every few matches is a silly minigame, PCs are an extremely silly minigame (also because only one of the answers you give is chosen at random to be the one that counts), team talks are yet another minigame, and while you can get 'AI help' for both, the AI even with 'perfect' stats for that gets it wrong a lot of the time. Team talks also have a way too big effect. As any decent real life manager will tell you, a team doesn't *need* any form of elaborate team talk for a big match against their rivals.

What they need is to be prepared for the opposition on the days before. Information warfare, but surely not motivation warfare.

Let's do a little math

fm - press confrences = FIFA.

i believe your maths to be poor, let me help:

FM - press conferences = CM

FM + chairman option = FIFA Manager

FM + spending own wages = FIFA Manager

FM + new features = next year's FM!

i think press conferences are a good feature. and if ur assistant is an idiot at press conferences for christ sakes get a new assistant! i dont have a problem with mine cos i have a good assistant

What makes you think you're speaking on behalf of FM fans?

I think the feature is necessary, it just needs to be implemented better.

What makes me think Im speaking on behalf of FM fans? Check it out yourself u bat.

i believe your maths to be poor, let me help:

FM - press conferences = CM

FM + chairman option = FIFA Manager

FM + spending own wages = FIFA Manager

FM + new features = next year's FM!

Explain #2 and #3. :o

They are kind of uninspired, so I find there's two ways to go about them:

1) Ignore them, get an Assman to handle it for you. I've hired Celtic's John Park on every save since I found the guy and he does well.

2) Throw yourself into it. Pick your friends and enemies among managers in your league and have fun with it. My favorite time with this was my brief run at River Plate in Argentina. After I crushed Boca they sacked their manager, who I had been dumping on in the press for years. I offered him a contract to be my assistant manager - which he of course turned down - but I thought it was suitably insulting to offer, heh. Also, pointing out weak links and dangermen - when applicable - seems to help more than it hurts if you know what you're doing.

Dear SI,

With all respect, I hate press conferences and believe it is an unnecessary aspect of the game. It is very difficult to emulate a real-life conversation and it is a lot of work for you to put in creating a whole conversation between the player and the AI press. Honestly speaking, and yes I speak on the behalf of you FM fans, we won't miss this feature one bit if its scrapped off in the next release (if you think I'm wrong sue me).

So my dear SI, I would be jubilant if this feature was omitted from FM11 and I would appreciate it if you consider the thought for the least.

Regards,

FM Fan

1) You are not speaking on behalf of ALL FM fans. Just you and maybe 4 or 5 others in this thread.

2) The press conferences shouldn't be excluded. As they are a crucial part of a real managers job they should stay and be massively improved.

3) Can I have your name and address or just that of your solicitor, because I want to sue you.

Yes. Please. Remove. Them.

I've said it before and i'll say it again! "the old system was better" quote by PGB SPURS FM09

The old way? As in no press?

I think I should have the option to tell members of the media to suck my cock.

Maradona-esque.

You can. Just go into a press conference and type that into the little text box at the bottom. Enjoy.

What makes me think Im speaking on behalf of FM fans? Check it out yourself u bat.

Check what out?

Check out the other posts agreeing. Not only in this thread, as you must well know if you ever laid your eyes on any FM-related forums (such as these).

And why are they crucial?

If you so want, the old CM-style training system where you choose single exercises is far far more realistic than the current slider system. They're a far more crucial part of a great manager's job than answer some ever-same questions for which nobody cares anyway (as only one of them is selected at random to be *the* question).

People talk to the media and appear in the media for financial reasons, not because it improves their team's morale or some BS like that.

Check out the other posts agreeing. Not only in this thread, as you must well know if you ever laid your eyes on any FM-related forums (such as these).

And why are they crucial?

If you so want, the old CM-style training system where you choose single exercises is far far more realistic than the current slider system. They're a far more crucial part of a great manager's job than answer some ever-same questions for which nobody cares anyway (as only one of them is selected at random to be *the* question).

People talk to the media and appear in the media for financial reasons, not because it improves their team's morale or some BS like that.

I count 5 people in this thread agreeing. The rest think nothing or want them to stay with improvement.

As for other threads, I've not clearly not laid eyes on any SI forum ;)

Why are we talking about training now? My thoughts on this are not needed in this thread and can be found elsewhere anyhow. It needs improving is the long and short of it though, somethign along the Tactic Creator lines would work IMO.

Managers appear in the media because the League, CL, FIFA demands it of them. Yes that is for commercial reasons. However they are a necessary evil of a football managers job. Some are obviously over it (Wenger) some choose to make it a psychological battleground (Jose and SAF) so why shouldn't we FM'ers get to have the same choice in a well thought and well put together press conference/Media/player interaction system? This was also the main point of my previous post but it wasn't as well put.

Because it's not at all "crucial" for the actual football management side. Some managers (Mourinho) have ridiculously rich agents with whom they get drunk in sunny Portugal. Some managers (Mourinho) get drunk with SAF. Should that be in the game?

Do you want to do advertisement contracts with clothing & candy companies? Might as well have a 3D photoshoot minigame!

(I sure wouldn't complain about Tropico-3-election-speech-style PCs as long as I can turn them off, too. But only if "I apologise to Platini - but not to Pelé!", in those words, is something I can choose to say and will be understood by the AI!)

In actual gameplay terms: All media & player interaction things (besides learning PPMs and asking for transfer tips) introduced after 03/04 have the effect of improving or worsening your player's 7-notch morale attribute by one notch. And if you win a match here and there they're all 'Superb' anyway. Some have the side effect of the player liking you marginally more. Coincidentally managers of big teams can't then actually gain tremendously much from this system. But they're the ones who spend most time of their life satisfying every TV station on Earth post-match, largely saying the exact same words 12x. Because their clubs expect them to, because the media expect them to. But it's really used for 'dramatic effect' and communicating with the public (and as you don't have a How The General Public Views You attribute, that isn't even a gameplay element), not for actual communication within the trade. Platini writes Maradona letters, and everybody else uses SMS. The media circus is but a circus for the media's sake.

Beeeecause training *is* crucial. Because an extra 5% fitness can well lead to one winning the league (Mourinho, Magath, ..).

Because importing psychologists (!) and foreign coaches can substantially increase the level of football & youth development in a league (Germany in recent years; England not yet in terms of the goalkeeper development system).

Just get your assistant to do your press conferences surely? problem solved.

Exactly.

I do the same for the pre-season practise friendlies that I cbf playing or arranging (yes I'm lazy like that).

I do usually take my own press conferences, though.

Its there for people who want it, and it can be skipped for people who don't want it :thup:

Because it's not at all "crucial" for the actual football management side. Some managers (Mourinho) have ridiculously rich agents with whom they get drunk in sunny Portugal. Some managers (Mourinho) get drunk with SAF. Should that be in the game?

Do you want to do advertisement contracts with clothing & candy companies? Might as well have a 3D photoshoot minigame!

(I sure wouldn't complain about Tropico-3-election-speech-style PCs as long as I can turn them off, too. But only if "I apologise to Platini - but not to Pelé!", in those words, is something I can choose to say and will be understood by the AI!)

In actual gameplay terms: All media & player interaction things (besides learning PPMs and asking for transfer tips) introduced after 03/04 have the effect of improving or worsening your player's 7-notch morale attribute by one notch. And if you win a match here and there they're all 'Superb' anyway. Some have the side effect of the player liking you marginally more. Coincidentally managers of big teams can't then actually gain tremendously much from this system. But they're the ones who spend most time of their life satisfying every TV station on Earth post-match, largely saying the exact same words 12x. Because their clubs expect them to, because the media expect them to. But it's really used for 'dramatic effect' and communicating with the public (and as you don't have a How The General Public Views You attribute, that isn't even a gameplay element), not for actual communication within the trade. Platini writes Maradona letters, and everybody else uses SMS. The media circus is but a circus for the media's sake.

Beeeecause training *is* crucial. Because an extra 5% fitness can well lead to one winning the league (Mourinho, Magath, ..).

Because importing psychologists (!) and foreign coaches can substantially increase the level of football & youth development in a league (Germany in recent years; England not yet in terms of the goalkeeper development system).

Well said.

Edgar555 you don't seem to have many friends in these forums, I suggest you start seeing the brighter side of things rather than trying to stand out with your "unique" comments.

If you ever played the old series you would understand what true FM fans like.

Well said.

Edgar555 you don't seem to have many friends in these forums, I suggest you start seeing the brighter side of things rather than trying to stand out with your "unique" comments.

He did iirc, as did I, and you need to stop inferring that your opinion be that of every other fan. Who are you? What gives you the right to dictate opinion? Since when did you become Lord-Chief-Quantifier of Forum Friends? eh?

How's about winding your neck in a little and accepting that the forum is full of people who wanted press conferences and interaction in the first place - hence it's presence in the game. Edgar is right, 5 or 6 people mounting your little bandwagon of dislike is hardly an indication that press conferences need to go.

I suggest you get with the program and discuss merit rather than arrogantly dictate opinion.:thup:

Well said.

How boring. Like I come on here to make friends. I come on here to discuss FM, just because I disagree with you doesn't make my opinion any less valid. If you take issue with my posts then please by all means take it up with a mod but don't bother with your lame insults. You're not very good at them for one thing.

Thanks to Indi75 for the support. I've played since CM01. Does that make me a true fan or must I bow to your opinions to qualify as a true fan? Dictator much?

Why are you deliberately trying to provoke me? Trying to make a name for yourself on these forums? Keep it coming. You won't win.

For the record there are still only 5 people supporting you in this thread. Your point?

Just get your assistant to do your press conferences surely? problem solved.

Not really. I always leave press conferences to my assistant and every now and then he says something incredibly stupid and ****es everyone off. Last time he said my rivals winning the leage was a certainty even if we were above them on the table. Totally agree on removing them. The most pointless feature in the game by far.

Press conferences categorically the worst feature of any FM game.

I'd give my right nut for them to get rid of them completely. Or at least ensure I'm not penalised AT ALL for leaving them to my assistant.

Either this or improve them in a way and extent that they actually add something to the game. make them less repetitive and don't just change the current repetitive questions for new repetitive questions. The only issue I have with that is I assume that's indeed a lot of work and unlike others I think it's obvious that SI only have a limited amount of working hours available which have to be allocated, so depending on what else they are planning to do, getting rid of the PrConf code might be a better use of that time.

Yep I totally agree with you Jayahr. I think that if there isn't a strategy to redesign the press conferences feature then scrap it off, it wont be missed I can assure you on the behalf of (wait a minute edgar555 must be lurking around).

One suggestion I can give is that press conferences could be done when signing for a club or after a big event (winning/losing) a final. To add the unique feel to it that's all, but as suggested earlier by Luckz, the current version of press conferences do not improve your commercial side of the club (as it should in real life) but only alters the morale which is silly imo.

Just a thought would it be possible for the forum to come up with Lines for the press conferences and then they just get dropped into the game. Not sure if this is possible or how much coding goes into the answers but i have read somewhere that coming up with the lines and typing so many of them was a problem could that not be done on here and handed to SI to just drop in the game?

they are just so boring however i dont think scrapping them is the answer. They need to be completely revamped or at least updated often to make them less repetitive. I find myself sending my assistant after my 3rd game in. The 'add your own text' helps but you cant help but feel that its just useless overall. They need to find a way to make them much more dynamic and less linear.. adding loads more questions and answers will be a start. As it stands it feels like always the same 20 questions..

Press conferences categorically the worst feature of any FM game.

I'd give my right nut for them to get rid of them completely. Or at least ensure I'm not penalised AT ALL for leaving them to my assistant.

Its hardly a penalty.

Only one question counts and the worst case scenario is that a player loses one level of morale.

Its not the end of the world!

2) Throw yourself into it. Pick your friends and enemies among managers in your league and have fun with it.

I've found this is a way to spice things up and have some fun with it. I always pick a team in the league, sometimes a club rival, sometimes the league's worst club, and rant against them any chance I get. I talk bad about their manager, tap up their players, dismiss them from league title contention, claim their dangerman is lousy, et cetera. It amuses me.

But I will also do the opposite with a few clubs, with whom I try to make a good relationship for loans, player sales, et cetera. I often pick a few of my favorite clubs from around the world. Friends offer benefits sometimes.

Room for improvement. I do think there's room for improvement, however, starting with more diversity in the questions asked. The "question database" seems pretty full of questions about your own players, your chances in the upcoming match, and player performances. I'm always hopeful for more of the "who will win the league this year" or "who is the world's best player" type questions. Perhaps more of these would be fun. Tie it to your league awards, like manager of the month, or player of the week, et cetera. The "new signing" press conference is a good idea, perhaps there are other non-gametime press conferences that could be included (beginning of season, end of season, midseason/winter break).

Yep I totally agree with you Jayahr. I think that if there isn't a strategy to redesign the press conferences feature then scrap it off, it wont be missed I can assure you on the behalf of (wait a minute edgar555 must be lurking around).

One suggestion I can give is that press conferences could be done when signing for a club or after a big event (winning/losing) a final. To add the unique feel to it that's all, but as suggested earlier by Luckz, the current version of press conferences do not improve your commercial side of the club (as it should in real life) but only alters the morale which is silly imo.

I'm glad to see you've accepted that they should be improved and not removed. :thup:

Not so glad to see that you've not lost your obsession with me. :thdn:

Archived