Unrealistic Comebacks Happen too often

Ok guys here now is my problem, it seems that football manager is scripted to me which is a shame. Why do i say this? Well evertime i go 2-0 or 3-0 up early on with a team the opponent will ALWAYS come back to level the game at 2-2 or even go on to win with the mother of all comebacks? Now it does not matter what tactics i use because they do not work, the game is just scripted for the opponent to always come back. If people think this is just me moaning well guess what it happens for my team too. If the AI opponent goes 2-0 or 3-0 ahead i never have to worry because my team always pull off a miraclous comeback and either draw the game or win it.. it happens nearly EVERYTIME and it is so obvious the game has already decided what the outcome of the game will be so there is no need to bother with tactics since nothing works and the CPU will decide your fate. I think for the so calle best ever manager game this is very unrealistic and unless something drastic happens i will not return to this game.

Ok thank you for reading sorry for long rant. icon_cool.gif

Ok guys here now is my problem, it seems that football manager is scripted to me which is a shame. Why do i say this? Well evertime i go 2-0 or 3-0 up early on with a team the opponent will ALWAYS come back to level the game at 2-2 or even go on to win with the mother of all comebacks? Now it does not matter what tactics i use because they do not work, the game is just scripted for the opponent to always come back. If people think this is just me moaning well guess what it happens for my team too. If the AI opponent goes 2-0 or 3-0 ahead i never have to worry because my team always pull off a miraclous comeback and either draw the game or win it.. it happens nearly EVERYTIME and it is so obvious the game has already decided what the outcome of the game will be so there is no need to bother with tactics since nothing works and the CPU will decide your fate. I think for the so calle best ever manager game this is very unrealistic and unless something drastic happens i will not return to this game.

Ok thank you for reading sorry for long rant. icon_cool.gif

Got to say, I gave up reading at the word "ALWAYS". Venting frustrations is fine, but if you want the game to be improved you have to be more constructive and more accurate. It quite blatantly does not happen ALWAYS.

I find I let the lead slip quite often, but not excessively so and often it is because I am the kind of manager who just carries on attacking when I am 2-0 up rather than trying to hold on.

This will be happening because, when you go in the lead, you're not making the necessary adjustments to your tactic to hold onto that lead once the opposition starts doing everything they can to get back in the game.

In real life, if a team didn't make the correct tactical decisions when ahead in a game they too would often find themselves losing goals. You can't play the same way when leading as you would at the start of a match, just like it's not wise to carry on playing the same way when losing and the match is drawing too a close.

Many people manage to not throw away leads, it rarely happens to me and I now love it when the AI switches to 4-2-4 as I usually grab another goal on the break. Therefore it's very likely that you're making the wrong tactical decisions during a game.

Hmmmm maybe i need to learn and experiment some more. I only have this game for 2 weeks so lets see if this continues. I hope my efforts are not in vain because this is the greatest and most addictive game ever but it makes me so angry i start to blame everything and make any excuse apart from blaming myself. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikelo06:

Hmmmm maybe i need to learn and experiment some more. I only have this game for 2 weeks so lets see if this continues. I hope my efforts are not in vain because this is the greatest and most addictive game ever but it makes me so angry i start to blame everything and make any excuse apart from blaming myself. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've all been there mate icon_smile.gif

I'd recommend that Tactics bible and FAQ threads which are stickied to the top of the Tactics and Training tips forum. There are some fantastic threads in there that are well worth a read. Also, your half time team talk can make or break a match, so keep an eye on your players moral and reactions to your team talks.

The main thing is to just stick with it and it will at some point all fall into place.

i do not ever see this issue. i agree its almost certainly ur tactics, too attacking. myself i just went 9 games without conceding, having not lost in league this season.

well, yesterday i was 4-0 down by half time as arsenal to barcelona at the emirates in the CL quarter final 1st leg. i levelled in injury time with a blatantly offside goal, and then won 1-0 at the nou camp.

so unfair on barca icon_rolleyes.gif

i must admit i did have 1 amazing, shocking comeback. 4-0 down on aggregate to chelsea in champions league with 88 minutes of the tie remaining, and come back to win 5-4 on aggregate

Same thing used to happen to me when I first started. I didn't realize how much I needed to adjust to game situations. I got fired a lot too. icon_smile.gif I learned to adjust.

However I do believe the game conspires against me at times just to annoy me. lol

Check out the tactics forum when you have time. I learned a lot there over the last couple of years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cubierta:

I have screenshot of a CL final with Lyon vs Arsenal.AS soon as i find it i'll post it up but lyon is ahead 2-0 at halftime. Final Score? 2-9 for arsenal.......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now that's a cummyback if ever I saw one... Ooops, sorry. I thought I was back in Sparta... LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cubierta:

I have screenshot of a CL final with Lyon vs Arsenal.AS soon as i find it i'll post it up but lyon is ahead 2-0 at halftime. Final Score? 2-9 for arsenal.......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Iam new at this too, and I have found that most games I get 2 or 3 in front by the end of the game I either draw or lose. Very rarely I run away with a game. Or poor performing teams give me more trouble than league leaders. I put it down to players getting tired & tactics. Since I dont know much about tactics I concentrate on replacing tired players in key defensive positions. I have found that if I get 3 goals in front and go into a defensive role it doesnt help...my tactics I would say. But it is still annoying to get in front only to see the lead slip...I have found that my team dont do the same. If Iam losing by 3 I might get 1 or 2 goals but the opposition normally score again and ruin any comeback.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oddangryshot:

Iam new at this too, and I have found that most games I get 2 or 3 in front by the end of the game I either draw or lose. Very rarely I run away with a game. Or poor performing teams give me more trouble than league leaders. I put it down to players getting tired & tactics. Since I dont know much about tactics I concentrate on replacing tired players in key defensive positions. I have found that if I get 3 goals in front and go into a defensive role it doesnt help...my tactics I would say. But it is still annoying to get in front only to see the lead slip...I have found that my team dont do the same. If Iam losing by 3 I might get 1 or 2 goals but the opposition normally score again and ruin any comeback. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's probably the media. I mean, how dare you suggest that Man Utd can beat the team at the very bottom of the league, or even one or two divisions below them!

This happened to me three times last season, when I went into 4-0, 5-0 and 5-0 leads and finished the games 4-5, 5-5 and 5-6.

What annoys me is that I wasn't playing an especially attacking formation and the other teams didn't really change theirs. The team talk appeared to be key; 'pleased' or 'delighted' seems to make them complacent and 'don't get complacent' makes them go to pieces. This kind of comeback should only happen rarely, the opposition is normally so crushed at HT that they're lucky to get more than a goal or two.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by County Kenny:

This happened to me three times last season, when I went into 4-0, 5-0 and 5-0 leads and finished the games 4-5, 5-5 and 5-6.

What annoys me is that I wasn't playing an especially attacking formation and the other teams didn't really change theirs. The team talk appeared to be key; 'pleased' or 'delighted' seems to make them complacent and 'don't get complacent' makes them go to pieces. This kind of comeback should only happen rarely, the opposition is normally so crushed at HT that they're lucky to get more than a goal or two. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just because the other team didn't really change their formation that doesn't mean they didn't change their tactics. I can't understand how people can lose a 5 goal lead in one half of a match. And in this case it's not down to teamtalks, I always use 'Pleased' when 2 or more goals in front at half time and never see my team suddenly crumble in the second half.

Although you sometimes need to change your tactics when in the lead it's often a mistake to go too defensive. Sitting back and inviting pressure is not always the best way to defend a lead. You'll perhaps want to look to keep the ball as much as possible and put pressure on the opposition when they do have the ball. Sitting back too much will just allow the opposition too much time on the ball to try and pick their way through your team.

However, if you were 5-0 up and you've since given away 3 goals it should be pretty obvious you need to change something, or that the changes you've already made are no good.

Sorry to say what has been said a million time son these forums, but it's probably your tactics.

Not once in 9 seasons on my current save have I suffered a comeback when leading 3-0 plus. Now and then a team will get a 2-2 or 1-1 draw. I change my tactic when I notice the opposition go to 4-2-4 and it seems to do the trick. As for team talks, I definately think this issue has been blown out of all proportion, but there is a very good guide on these forums to help people out.

Wolfgang's guide to team talks

The only extraordinary comebacks I have witnessed have been my own;

Your Greatest Comeback

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikelo06:

Ok I exaggerate a little, but most of the time it seems to happen. Maybe I should have said it happens Too Often for it to be realistic. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you need to pay attention to how your closing the game off near the end.

i've beaten arsenal twice 1-0 now as liverpool and drawn the other one 0-0.

it's all about how you set your team up, and how you change your formation/tactics later on.

do you drop a CM back to DM position? do you take a striker off and pack the midfield after 70mins?

do you slow down your passing and play short so you keep more possesssion ?

Thanks for tips, i think it is all about finding the right balance and i think with practice i will get better at holding onto leads.. but so far i have been experimenting loads and no crazy comebacks so far so good.. but i had one scare when i was 3-0 leading real betis and they pulled 2 goals back but i went ultra defensive and it seemed like it worked.. sometimes i think my mistake is not acting soon enough.. sometimes if the opponent pulls a goal back i wont change anything then sometimes its too late.. so now i am learning good. icon_cool.gif

I went away to Roma with Arsenal in the CL with an attacking style. I take a 2-0 lead after 10 minutes. I've gone defensive counter atticking now, and guess what? 30 minutes, 3-2 Roma.

I'd really like this to be explained to me...

sorry for pointing something obvious out, by why the hell would you alter your tactics when they are working perfectly, surely if a tactic is working fine, and the opposition attack more, the tactic you are using will work even better, otherwise the ai would just use the attacking option from the start, this argument that says if you suddenly dont change to defensive counter you WILL concede, likes its set in stone, almost as bad at fm2007 when you conceded in the last kick of the match 20 times a season

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heathxxx:

There's some good advice in the Tactics & Training forum that cover this "problem" in great detail. Once you know a few subtle changes, nothing drastic, you'll wonder "what problem". icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey friend do you think you can give me a link, i have seen a few other people moaning about AI Comebacks but i can not see much advice. Thank you. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G3vans:

I went away to Roma with Arsenal in the CL with an attacking style. I take a 2-0 lead after 10 minutes. I've gone defensive counter atticking now, and guess what? 30 minutes, 3-2 Roma.

I'd really like this to be explained to me... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You probably went defensive too early. I normally keep attacking if I'm winning. Don't "park the bus" until at least 70 mins.

Just to turn it around as I agree with the OP- this also means its far too easy to pull back from a 3 or 4 goal defecit too.

The sometime "magic bullet" effect of teamtalks is also far too easy to spot- normally this means you or the opposing team will pull a goal back straight away after the 2nd half kicks off.

Sadly its been a bugbear of the series that SI fail to introduce subtlety into these thing- its either 0 or 10 and rarely inbetween.

As for the OP- I think the worst thing about comebacks is that if you dont get everything just right (tactics, teamtalk etc) then its sometimes impossible to stop even the worst clubs coming back from the dead.

The issue is further compounded by how often one team can roar into a 2 or 3, even a 4 goal lead. So as the matches are poorly balanced the comebacks feel even worse.

Football is a game of too halves they say, but the way SI have implemented it is absolutely godawful.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for the OP- I think the worst thing about comebacks is that if you dont get everything just right (tactics, teamtalk etc) then its sometimes impossible to stop even the worst clubs coming back from the dead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is very true, it does seem sometimes that you have to be a tactical genius to prevent computer making comeback.. but i have been reading a lot in the tactics and tips section and i will be trying to implement some of the things i have read and hope this works. If not then it is just AI scripting and there is nothing you can do about it but i hope that is not true and i will be positive for now. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heathxxx:

There's some good advice in the Tactics & Training forum that cover this "problem" in great detail. Once you know a few subtle changes, nothing drastic, you'll wonder "what problem". icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey friend do you think you can give me a link, i have seen a few other people moaning about AI Comebacks but i can not see much advice. Thank you. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just go to the Tactics & Training Forum here, then look in the sticky at the top of the page titled "Tactics Bible".

So much great information in there that if more people took the time to read a few of the threads, there wouldn't be half the moaning there is. icon14.gif

^

Hey thanks my friend, i was reading the topics in tactics bible last night and ended up reading for about 5 hours icon_biggrin.gif, and i still havent even read half the stuff in there so i will continue tonight and continue to improve as a football manager. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for the OP- I think the worst thing about comebacks is that if you dont get everything just right (tactics, teamtalk etc) then its sometimes impossible to stop even the worst clubs coming back from the dead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is very true, it does seem sometimes that you have to be a tactical genius to prevent computer making comeback.. but i have been reading a lot in the tactics and tips section and i will be trying to implement some of the things i have read and hope this works. If not then it is just AI scripting and there is nothing you can do about it but i hope that is not true and i will be positive for now. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do work, but for me all that does in turn the issue on its head, as once you understand the mechanics then the flaws in the match engine are even more apparent.

Archived