PDA

View Full Version : Scout report advice.

Mandalay
02-07-2010, 23:42
When i get scout reports back i get them say a player maybe useful, good, avoid ect...
what i would like to know is the order in which these go. what is my scout trying to say?

robzilla
03-07-2010, 00:16
When i get scout reports back i get them say a player maybe useful, good, avoid ect...
what i would like to know is the order in which these go. what is my scout trying to say?

As I understand, each line goes with a number of stars, so you can just go by those. For example a 1 star player might have the "not worth signing" line, and a 5 star player would have something like "would be an important player for the team".

Someone will come along with a definitive list I'm sure but as a rule of thumb I discount 2.5 stars and below when scouting. 3 stars and above are the players you want to be looking at (the accuracy or otherwise of your scouts report notwithstanding).

Romeolo888
03-07-2010, 02:42
i given up on the scout reports since i downloaded genie. genie is awesome!!

hugo_rune
03-07-2010, 03:46
While we're on this topic - is the number of stars absolute or relative?

I swear that sometimes I look at a player, then I look at the same player later on, and the number of stars *seems* to have changed. Maybe that's because a different coach or scout is judging and I just wasn't paying attention? Or is it because the player is being compared with something in my squad that's changing?

So many questions I have :) This game deliberately keeps so much stuff vague, its part of its charm I guess.

And what are the silver stars for? Is five silver stars equal to one gold star, or something?

looknohands
03-07-2010, 05:08
1. Silver stars are below the gold star rating, so 4 silver stars is less than 1/2 a gold star.
2. Scouting stars will change relative to the players on your team. Meaning, if you have a striker with 100 CA, scouting another striker with 105 CA may give you 2-3 stars. However, if you sign a 125 CA striker, that 105 CA player would see his stars drop because he's worse than your best striker.
3. I have had some players gain stars in some cases; apparently my scouts/coaches gained better knowledge of the player?

TacticalGenius
03-07-2010, 09:14
1. Silver stars are below the gold star rating, so 4 silver stars is less than 1/2 a gold star.
2. Scouting stars will change relative to the players on your team. Meaning, if you have a striker with 100 CA, scouting another striker with 105 CA may give you 2-3 stars. However, if you sign a 125 CA striker, that 105 CA player would see his stars drop because he's worse than your best striker.
3. I have had some players gain stars in some cases; apparently my scouts/coaches gained better knowledge of the player?

This. And also, the better the JPP/JPA of your scout, the more accurate he is likely to be.

stevio11
04-07-2010, 11:15
Genie is just plain cheating and always will be. Thats why scouts are in the game so you can make a decision on their reports.

RBKalle
04-07-2010, 11:53
While we're on this topic - is the number of stars absolute or relative?

Very much relative... almost bordering with useless ;)

I swear that sometimes I look at a player, then I look at the same player later on, and the number of stars *seems* to have changed. Maybe that's because a different coach or scout is judging and I just wasn't paying attention? Or is it because the player is being compared with something in my squad that's changing?

It can be both, and for some more reasons...

* Different coaches/scouts give different evaluations of the same player

* Your striker was 3.5* in Championship, but when promoted to EPL he drops to 2.5*. That doesn't mean his ability has dropped, it just means he's now just adequate if compared to the average player in the league.

* Your 3.5* striker can drop to 2.5* if you sign a better striker, or a better player in any other position.

* Your 3.5* striker can drop to 2.5 because he's getting old/worse

* Your 3.5* striker can drop to 2.5 because the clubs' reputation/expectations have changed, and what used to be good is now just average. [this might not be related to the aforementioned promotion/relegation]

So, in the end, the Star Rating is a bit confusing... The coach's comment, e.g. "Player X would be a good Premier League player" or "Player Y would be a leading star for most Premier League clubs" are the part you'd focus the most...

Stars are confusing and often misleading.

It's easy to get a 2* report for a player who then has a CA/PA around 140, which is still decent enough to be a backup player in most Top Clubs, and possibly a semi-regular for mid-table and below...

Some of my rotation midfielders are just 2*, yet they perform as well, if not better, than an expensive 4* guy.

P.S. keep in mind the Star Rating doesn't take into account ANYTHING but CA/PA, so you can still get a 3* report for one of those flawed newgens...

So when buying and picking players, don't go just by the Stars, but keep an eye on the attribute distribution