idea: classic CM remakes/database-mods?

now that we are in 2010, we pretty much have the opportunity to investigate everything. we have history "on our side". with this in mind, wouldn't it be amazing if you guys made e.g. a CM '93/'94 remake with FM10? i.e. making a database with everything set in the '93/'94 season, where all player skill etc is set correctly?

if the developers are unwilling to this (due to work load) - anyone think this would be a cool community project? I want to play CM '93/'94 with my Cantona - using FM10's match engine, and game-mechanic possibilities. that would be awesome!

I don't think the standard editor allows changing the start year though, so please at least add this, haha.

I'd love it. It would surely be able to be done by a computer program, converting the squads from 93/94 to the current format.

I rememeber playing CM2 with Wycombe (the whole reason I got a PC) so the data is there, even if lots more fields/attributes are there now

I tried to do this using a macro but as I'm a computer numpty I nearly broke my laptop doing it!!

The concept is actually very simple if anyone's better at these things than me.

The issue is changes to attributes. What I tried to do was set up a mapping table in Excel then use the macro to copy across the data from the 93/94 database. The idea was to then use another macro to copy the 'mapped' data to a clear 2010 database.

As I mention though I couldn't get the macro working right. I'm sure there are people (probably most 5 year olds!) who are better at computers than me who could get this working though!!

Manually entering the data would be ridiculously time consuming!

if SI won't do it, there's nothing stopping *us* from starting a project. we just need someone dedicated (more so than I) to lead it, and organise it. I'm busy enough as it is with my own projects, as well as studying. but I'd definitely want to help out. what we should do is assign different people to different leagues/teams. someone could offer to submit data for Man Utd '93/'94, someone else would do the same for Brøndby '93/'94, Chesterfield '93/'94 or Fiorentina '93/'94... etc.

it's not impossible. it's even plausible! ;-) but it would help a great deal if SI did something as simple as advertise for our project, and add the opportunity to change start dates. those little things would go a long way. :-)

Archived