[PSP] Player Positions screen and Performance

Hi,

I have a question about the positions screen for a player (the one with the coloured circles). I'm guessing this may be a question more for one of the SI guys but if anybody else knows please feel free to comment! Are the different coloured circles predetermined or are they worked out based on the players attributes.

For example, on a MLRC player they may have the 3 midfield positions coloured green and dark green and then all the other positions might be grey. If the same player had reasonable stats that would make him appropriate for a DC position and I played him there would the player perform badly as a direct result of the position not being one of the 3 highlighted positions?

I guess my real question is does the position chart have a direct influence on a players performance or is this kind of a guideline and the players attributes are more important in the long run?

Thank in advance.

• SI Staff

The position chart affects how 'comfortable' a player is in a position, if someone is played totally out of position then they'll be un-natural there and will be more likely to under-perform even if their individual attributes suit the role given.

For a real-life example of this - I've played most of my life as a central defender, I'm ok at passing, reasonable at ball retention and dribbling (although uncomfortable in posession) and fairly decent in the air (I'm 6'6''). In defense I know exactly what I'm doing and can read the play pretty well (good positioning), similarly when I go forward for an attack I can normally find space in support reasonably well (reasonable movement) for about 2 minutes until I'm knackered (very very low stamina :D).

However put me up front and because its a totally alien position for me I'm generally 'lost' - my movements not bad, but I'm not used to playing full-time in that role and so don't know what I'm meant to be doing 'full-time' in the same way I do as a defender.

In FMHi terms if a person has some ability in a position then he'll be 'ok' - the difference between the top few levels of 'comfort' in a position is fairly small, its only when the indicator is red or a player simply can't play in that role that I'd really panic about it myself.

Archived