How to spot the great newgens from the good?

Do the absolute best newgens, the ones users here like to show, have very high stats from the start? Or are they all (the good ones)at roughly the same level and the best just progress further? I never go far into saves so I never really see a newgen as a finished article.

There will be a couple of golden regens every so often, these are ones who are so advanced they can slot straight into the starting line up of many teams. I have seen one player get the 'wonder kid' tag with in 6 months of being generated.

A little guide on searching for Regens:

1) Obtain a list of all the dates that regens are created around the world, a search of this forum will turn up a list. You can creat yearly notes to remind you of these dates, which is useful on long term saves.

2) On the regen date get your scouts to search that/those nations for players under 17 years old. The higher your knowledge of that country the more players they will turn up for you to look at. This obviously takes a time.

3) (This bit breaks some lower league managing rules) Do a search > players, and make a filter that looks for people who are at the most 17, are on a youth contract and are based in the nation that has just generated regens.

Sort this list by value, and look at the ones who have a high value, scouting them if necessary.

4) Look at the top clubs in the nation that just generated regens, look for some that have good youth facilities and a youth academy. Go through their youth squad looking to see if they have any new players this season of use. You can look at a clubs transfer history and apply the youth filter to it to get a list of the players that came through their youth system this year. You are looking for any that have a higher value than the masses.

5) Pay attention to the transfer rumours, if you see a top team sniffing around an unknown youngster then chances are that player is worth scouting.

Others may have other tips.

Newgens with great stats at the start reflect their high 'Current Ability' for their age range.

Their 'Potential Ability' could well be only a few points higher, so they'll never actually get much better than you see them now.

Scouts will also be 'sucked' into this on occasions and you'll see a highly rated youth players 'Potential Stars' dwindle as he gets older, because he can't get any better.

Of course, on other occasions, youth players with good stats could actually have a quite high 'Potential Ability' and are indeed 'Wonderkids'.

Thanks for the answers. So if the value is say one million pounds, they're guaranteed to be a good player, an of they're value is one thousand, they've got no real future? The valuing of players always confuses me, and I'm sure has a bigger influence on who I look at than it really should.

the value of the players is also detemined by their reputation and the club reputation. If a very good player is generated at a lower team (for example an english L1/2 team) they would have a low value say 100k even though thay may be better than a player valued at 3 million at a top prem side. always best to look at attributes as well on the search screen and then scout the players.

Also keeping scouts constantly scouting (and scouting u18 league) and reading their reports can turn up these players as well as looking at national youth teams.

The value is also league based, so it is best to get an idea of the value of the masses and then look at the players who are a lot more than that. You are very unlikely to find a 2.5 million pound regen in Africa for example, even if he is the best regen ever produced (you are also less likely to find good regens in leagues you have not got active).

Thanks for the answers. So if the value is say one million pounds, they're guaranteed to be a good player, an of they're value is one thousand, they've got no real future? The valuing of players always confuses me, and I'm sure has a bigger influence on who I look at than it really should.

No, read my post above. A players value is not a definitive way to judge how good he will become. His value just represents his reputation, his current ability and his club.

He might be a great player for his age and fairly well known and be valued accordingly, but he might not actually improve that much.

It's always best practice to get a good Scout to provide a report on him and view his findings. Then it's up to you to make a judgement. The scout cannot see the players 'Potential Ability' and could be wrong and often they are.

i look for players with good stats for their age and position, (13-14+ in key areas and age less than 18), then i send my scouts, if he says he has good potential, then he will probably improve, i dont even look at value anymore, and so far it worked really well, i have some really great players

Its not all based on value. When i do the player search thing i start searching for players from "obscure" nations, these players are rarely worth over £500k and you can often pick up a real, Real gem of a player.

Bets ive done is finding a 5* player for £7k (last years fm).

The other little trick i use, is to find nations that dont produce too many regens, generally i use Scandanavian, South American and Eastern european teams. When your at a club long enough, and they ask you to pick a club. Go through these nations and look for clubs with "excellent youth facilities + Academy". They will produce a good player every year, and sometimes evem a top class one.

I found a nice little exploit with youngsters, for a top club like Liverpool. As the years go on, every summer just buy up around 5-10 good prospects aged 16-18 at the latest, and spend around 2 mil ish on them on average, maybe splash out to around 5 million for a really good one, but always keep it to the bare minimum. This allows for a few years at your club, and at 21 if they are not any good, sell them for around 5 million each. I have seen this at my club for around 10 years now, most the players that I bought and then sold on have gone on to be decent players, with some getting resold for over 15 million.

So basically, if you have a spare 20 million lying around, just chuck it in your youth, 3-5 years down the line, you will get 50 million + a few good young players in your club.

^yeah i do that a lot too, even if they are not good enough by your standards, they are still good players.

Sometime i feel that i ruin some youngsters through doing this though.

Archived