What happens to the paperwork if player moves?

I'm thinking of buying an African player who has been playing in Denmark for enough time for him to currently be awaiting paperwork for his Danish citizenship. But what happens to his Danish paperwork if I buy him for my Espanyol team before it is processed all the way? Does he still get it, since he's been in Denmark the required amount of time or is it cancelled if he moves? The transfer window is closing quickly and I can't wait any longer.

I'm not sure but I think it will be cancelled. Time is not the only requirement for residency in many countries, ability to speak the language amongst other things come in to play.

He speaks the language, he been living there for eight years. But it's not a question of whether or not he can get the citizenship. That's already been given, he's just awaiting the paperwork.

Just a guess but I think it will go to "Needs to reside in Denmark" at some point and he won't ever get it unless he goes back to Denmark (e.g. on loan at a Danish club). After a while there, he would get the Danish citizenship. Maybe?

• 9 months later...

Archived