iOS4 - How to close apps fully

• SI Staff

While roaming mobile forums I've noticed a few people with funky new iPhone4 having issues with regards to general phone stability (both with FMHi and other applications).

If you're running iOS4 on the iPhone 4 (or a funky fast device which supports it) please ensure you don't overload the phone with lots of applications running at once.

As with any computer/device if you try and do too much at once then it'll become unstable (I presume you've done this on windows/Mac before where you get carried away and everything gets very sluggish/unstable because you've too many applications running at once .... well now you can have the same thing happen with your phone, isn't progress fantastic ).

Closing applications on iOS4 isn't particularly obvious I'm afraid, when you hit 'home' applications may remain at least partially resident in memory now and use up resources.

To close applications fully please refer to:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-close-out-applications-completely-new-iphone-ios-4-377560/

Hope this helps,

Marc

• Administrators

For those that can't view the video:

1. Double tap Home Screen button

2. In the tray, hold down on an icon until the icons in the tray begin to wiggle with a red (-) in the upper left corner of the icons.

3. Tap the red (-) for each app you wish to close.

Useful for GPS apps, which continually run if not closed for giving voice directions.

Hopefully in future apps will be able to have a close/quit app button somewhere, rather than suspend to memory.

PS: Marc, mods, I suggest this thread be stickyied :thup:

• 2 months later...

Archived