Best FM?

this is only the second fm ive bought, so when this thread gets going could someone tell me what was different/better/worse about previous games? ive heard people say that 08 was the best and some people still play the old ones, is there that much of a difference?

i would say fm2010 is probally the most complete game in the series, but for enjoyment value nothing has topped fm07 for me, so much fun. Just something about it I cant put my finger on made it my favourite

Yup, 07 was the best by far, needs to get that special "feel" back

:thup: Can't put my finger on it, but 07 had that "feel" like it was REAL, not just a game. The series has had that feel before, but lost it in the last 3 versions. Still love the game, there is nothing better and I will be getting FM11 on launch day, but it does need it's "feel" back.

I cant really remember 06 or 07. Not sure I bought 06 now that I think about it.

Enjoying 08 at the minute. It's has a few little niggles that I don't like.

09 was probably the worst out of the 4.

Far to many things I hate about FM10. Thats a close 2nd to being as bad as 09.

So many saying 07 is the best I might give that another go if I can find the disk.

I actually wanted to start a thread like that - except also including 01/02, 03/04, 05, 08.

My issue with 08 is that the game seems to react to your tactic every two seconds, and I tend to prefer keeping one tactic on cruise control all match - and I'd hate for it to just stop working after a year or three because the AI magically decides that from one day to the next. In which FM games is that to some degree the case? 06-ish? 08? I forget.. (keyword: "cracking" tactics)

I must say I don't remember much of the distinct differences between 03/04, 05 and 06 - it's been so long, and I only still have 07 in vivid memory due to playing that recently. It's definitely a good and fun one. Sure didn't hate 09 either, but it - like 10 - takes a whole lot longer to play through a season there.

In 10 the on-pitch play I see doesn't convince me. I tried several different tactics on several different teams but never really got "good football" out of it. In 09 my problem was that I created many chances but never scored any, in 10 my problem is that I just always facepalm at how dumb my world-class players seem to be. A particular pet peeve in that regard is players clearing a ball for no reason at all. This was toned down a bit in the FM10 patches but still isn't gone - happens more often than IRL, that's for sure.

FM10 also is a pretty buggy mess, with many game-breaking bugs that won't ever get fixed. Luckily I didn't encounter too many of them myself, but I've been pretty active in the bugs forum.

What I'd also like to add as questions:

Which SI game do you lot think had your players play the closest thing to real football, without having really weak AI sides capable of playing a Barcelona-style domination game as is/was the case in FM09/FM10?

And what was the last one before team talks were horribly broken to the state they are in now? Back in FM07, I used "Can Win", "Expect Win", "Wish Luck", "For The Fans" depending on the relative strength of my opponent as well as the occasion, but now half of those are entirely useless in FM10, and how you're supposed to use them is sorely lacking in logical congruency.

its strange, FM10 was the best for me until 10.3, ever since I'm just not quite sure I like the changes, particularly the ME traits!! Therefore 10.2 best, then FM08, then 06. 09 and 05 not so good, didn't buy 07!! I guess its just personal preference, but 10 was so close to being the perfect 'step' from 09...

I don't really know - I'm still playing my '07 savegame, which I probably started about 2 years ago. I got hooked on FM with the release of '05, played my first real long term game on '06, played approximately 30 minutes of FM08 and decided I didn't like it and went back to my '07 savegame. '09 was a bit of a disappointment for me - was it in this version they introduced 3D? I can't remember, all that I know is that I stuck to my '07 save through all those releases. I installed '10 today though and it's the first version where I've played all my matches thus far on full replay. The 3D is really smooth (I do get some random slowdowns every now and then), the tactics wizard is great and for the first time I can actually see my tactics and instruction being applied on the pitch (well, at least until I start losing).

With that said I think my '07 savegame might be approaching it's final end. I can't see myself starting a new save on '07 and the only reason why I would keep '07 is to log in every now and then on my old savegame, if only for sentimental purposes :)

Sometimes I wish I would've kept my old saves from previous FM's aswell though, especially '05. There was just something about godlike attacking midfielders in that game...

FM10 Is by far the worse game they made todate . only fm fan boy will vote for it . because they wouldnt know a good game if it hit em in the face .

my vote would go fm2006 fm2007 fm2009 fm2008 and a million miles away last fm10

What are you talking about? :confused:

yep might off guessed the fan boy is out ..

shows he doesnt have a clue about any games at all ..

so let me out line it for him to understand .

what makes a good game .. well the speed of the game . the flow . and does the game have bugs

fm2010 . speed +poor game flow + poor amount of bugs + poor and that is after 3rd patch aswell

but the other fm games was better on all of them ..

so that is why mr fan boy that fm10 is the worse game

yep might off guessed the fan boy is out ..

Who is a 'fan boy'? :confused:

I just think FM10 is a really good game. :)

There is no need to be so patronising and insulting by the way.

what makes a good game .. well the speed of the game . the flow . and does the game have bugs

fm2010 . speed +poor game flow + poor amount of bugs + poor and that is after 3rd patch aswell

Actually, FM10 speed is good, the game flow is good and the amount of bugs is low. It's a very enjoyable version of the game. Naturally, I'm just a 'fan boy' though, so my opinion doesn't count! ;)

but the other fm games was better on all of them ..

so that is why mr fan boy that fm10 is the worse game

What you are saying is basically rubbish but please don't let that get in the way of a good old rant! I hope it makes you feel better. :)

07 was fine for a bit of fun. 09 was the best for me in terms of the ME as it properly recognises wingbacks and their instructions for me. FM10 is horrible in that respect as it seems just about the only thing that matters for a wingback is stamina.

There only seems to be a couple of formations that work on FM10, I like to make my own but most don't work at all.

Theres things you tell your players to do and they just wont do it, FM08 does that sometimes too. When I watch the 2D engine on FM08 it is almost identical in the way it performs and still has the little imperfections.

Fm10 is too much teamtalk and press conferences, FM08 is more about players and tactics, which I prefer.

The biggest thing for me is the buying and selling of the AI is truely ridiculous, it seems much more realistic on FM08.

I always seem to concede in the first 3 minutes on 08 which I'm not a fan of. At the minute I'm the top scorers of the league and highest conceders. Theres nothing I seem to be able to do about that.

[..] the amount of bugs is low. [..] Naturally, I'm just a 'fan boy' though, so my opinion doesn't count! ;)

Yes, I learned in the past that indeed, your opinion does not count, and you're generally full of claims with nothing to back them. Like the time you promised you'd deliver a working FM09 tactic. But let's not get into that.

What you are saying is basically rubbish but please don't let that get in the way of a good old rant! I hope it makes you feel better. :) <<---->> There is no need to be so patronising and insulting by the way.

Hypocrisy much, eh. See above, tho.

P.S.: Claiming that "all formations work in FM10, like 442" is hilarious. He obviously meant things like a 3-man backline, with or without wingbacks, or anything else out of the ordinary.

fm 10 for me. especially after the 3rd patch. if cm counts i would go for cm 01/02 after that

Sure, why not. I never got CM 01/02, I only started with 03/04 and can barely handle the UI of that these days.

Yes, I learned in the past that indeed, your opinion does not count, and you're generally full of claims with nothing to back them. Like the time you promised you'd deliver a working FM09 tactic. But let's not get into that.

What are you talking about? :confused:

Claiming that "all formations work in FM10, like 442" is hilarious. He obviously meant things like a 3-man backline, with or without wingbacks, or anything else out of the ordinary.

Are you unable to read or something? I didn't say that at all. :confused:

Ah, after a quick search, I have worked out why Luckz seems to dislike me so strongly. He is one of those unfortunate chaps who are utterly convinced that the AI cheats. To be honest, you guys are all the same to me, so I don't tend to remember you. You always do a good job of remembering me though! Anyway, welcome to my ignore list! ;)

This thread is a great example of why I don't really bother with GD much these days. I mean, all I did was come into a thread simply to say that I like FM10 and that it is my favourite. In return, I've been called a 'fanboy' by one user and then, after defending myself, I've been insulted by another user who is still upset because a year ago I disagreed with his ridiculous belief that the AI cheats and that resetting the game is the best thing to do when you are in a bad run of form! :rolleyes: It's like a moron convention in here and I simply have to leave because I don't belong! :D

banana_dance.gif

lol. ololololol, even.

Now that we got rid of Mr Moron Convention, does anybody remember in what older FM games the AI was willing to pay you serious money for loaning out good players? I remember in 07 I got 5 million GBP when they loaned out Esparza in I think the first season, and in 05 or 06 I loaned out somebody like Kompany or Sneijder for 10-15 even? In which ones was that possible, and when did they get rid of it?

Also, again, which are the FM games that "crack your tactic" in the sense that it magically becomes useless at some point?

been playing since fm07, and ive got to say my favourite is fm10. certainly the one ive got the most out of in terms of game time and enjoyment.

however, despite its flaws, which admittedly all versions have, i still hold a special place for 07. maybe it was because it was my first, but i always look back favourably on that game :)

FM09 was best for me (patch 9.3.0 of course) Followed by FM07. I can't play FM10 because of the amount of crash dumps :-(

When FM11 comes out i'd be very happy if it was an updated FM09 with FM10s speed.

My first FM game was FM08 but my brother had fm05 and I always liked the soccer am team, lol. My favourite has to be fm09, had probably one of my best saves on it startingwith bury, getting them promoted in the first season as champions. I played many clubs and internationals that save, my last club on it was huddlesfield up in the prem. Had some great players and regens. Unluckly I got bored of it and gave up. Ever since I have never had a very long save on a fm game until now on FM10 after patch 3. Before that patch I was bored.

The next one will be the best one :) seriously though if they iron all the flaws out of fm10 (transfer system,dodgy regens) it should be sweet, I like FM07 the best so far though it had a great transfer system and the regens were spot on making it great for long term games

Ah, after a quick search, I have worked out why Luckz seems to dislike me so strongly. He is one of those unfortunate chaps who are utterly convinced that the AI cheats. To be honest, you guys are all the same to me, so I don't tend to remember you. You always do a good job of remembering me though! Anyway, welcome to my ignore list! ;)

This thread is a great example of why I don't really bother with GD much these days. I mean, all I did was come into a thread simply to say that I like FM10 and that it is my favourite. In return, I've been called a 'fanboy' by one user and then, after defending myself, I've been insulted by another user who is still upset because a year ago I disagreed with his ridiculous belief that the AI cheats and that resetting the game is the best thing to do when you are in a bad run of form! :rolleyes: It's like a moron convention in here and I simply have to leave because I don't belong! :D

lol. ololololol, even.

Now that we got rid of Mr Moron Convention, does anybody remember in what older FM games the AI was willing to pay you serious money for loaning out good players? I remember in 07 I got 5 million GBP when they loaned out Esparza in I think the first season, and in 05 or 06 I loaned out somebody like Kompany or Sneijder for 10-15 even? In which ones was that possible, and when did they get rid of it?

Also, again, which are the FM games that "crack your tactic" in the sense that it magically becomes useless at some point?

You two need to chill out, because this is a game. Seriously is like a Star Trek fan and Star Wars fan discussing what franchise is better.

Luckz, I agree with you that there is a several flaws in post FM07, which many are tactics, press Conferences, Team talks and the overall of the AI. But FM10 game is playable, but lacks in two major areas (see next paragraph).

Crouchaldinho, FM10 isn't that a great game, because it is boring. It drags eternally in the highlights of the ME and it takes twice as much time to do a season then previous games like FM07 and doesn't have those annoying Press Conferences (which in reality are still boring and serve only to feed the media and some managers in reality give little attention to them, they just do because they need to keep the press happy) or the sensitive team talks that you choose one wrong option can make winning by 3 - 0 to 3 - 4. I seen it and i haven't play FM10 that much. The important of all, where is the fun? Where is the addictiveness for me to do long term save game?

So the two of you i have to say these kind of discussions don't help SI to fix the flaws and make the future games of FM enjoyable and fun to more vast audience. :thup:

Archived