players cost to much

after five years in to a save i always find myself restarting the game due to how much players start costing it is out of control.

Rubbish, there is no difference between the start of the game and further on.

You need to negotiate, talk to the players in advance and choose your targets carefully.

tried all of that but when your scout says club x wants 60million for a player you will end up paying just that maybe not all at once but over 48 months

Well if the scouts say 60m he must be a top player on a good contract.

You can't expect to be able to sign any player cheap either work on the player and sign him towards the end of his contract when the price will drop or find another target.

you would think they would be top players world class even. IL give you an example urby emanuelson and andre santos i would not say in my humble opinion that they are worth 35 million and 40 million

The transfer system in FM isn't perfect, Far from perfect, actually.

I'm sick of these situations : Good/Mediocre player at a top club, used in a squad rotation system, getting at most 7-10 apps per season, unhappy at lack of first team football, valued at 8-10 M. , i offer 13-15 M for that player, the club keeps rejecting until i offer 25M or even more.

That's too much, and totally unrealistic. And happening all the time in the game.

Not to mention that selling players AND getting a good bargain is a real pain in the ass. I end up releasing most of the players for free.

I think selling players is about right. Over my four seasons at Genoa, I had spent 125m and earnt arounf 142m.

The bargains are out there but you have to really search for them. I still think the system needs work, it is often the case that average players are valued too highly (in terms of sale price). IRL, those types of players only get big fees from clubs like Man City (and Chelsea in years gone by).

IRL at the start of each season, generally there are only a few players available at relatively cheap prices. this is why there always loads of clubs chasing certain players, even if theyre not the very best. otherwise clubs could sign anyone, fm is realistic in this sense

Players' prices are ok, except for brazilian players. Young brazilians that play is Brazil don't usually cost more than 3 or 4 million euros IRL. In FM sometimes clubs ask for 15 or 16 million.
it would not be so bad if there was a bidding war and you had to pay a little over the odds.

but im the only club in for the player most of the time,

These two points combined: I'm fine paying £10-15m for a top class highly sought after Brazilian youngster (or indeed one from any non-top level country), but when they're asking that kinda of money for an obscure, low rep player who no other clubs are tracking - even if they are really good - it seems a bit unrealistic.

Players' prices are ok, except for brazilian players. Young brazilians that play is Brazil don't usually cost more than 3 or 4 million euros IRL. In FM sometimes clubs ask for 15 or 16 million.

Due to the strength of the Brazilian economy (about 9% growth) and currency, and clubs finally getting their act together financially (lead by Sao Paolo and Internacional), Brazilian players are getting very good prices in real life too.

That being said my current right back cost me £1.4m from Palmeiras (and is now a full international), paid at 15 in hopes he would develop. I also picked up a player for £100k who 2 seasons later I sold for £2.4m (IIRC).

If you buy them young they usually don't cost much, but you have to be willing to take a gamble.

One thing I am sick of though is having to pay £60-£80m for a top player, but when I want to sell a player of equal ability and age the most I can hope for is £30m

You want to sell a player, that's why you got only 30m :)

For example, Juventus wanted one among my best players (a future star, he's worth only 10m because he's not a regular player), I asked for 60m and they offered me that much :p (well, I rejected and they bought fabregas for 75m :eek:).

This made me happy because it clearly shows that not only we humans have to pay a lot for good players and also that IA are willing to pay huge sums for our players if they really need them (it's the same thing when we want to buy a superstar from another top team and they ask us a lot of money)

sorry for my english :)

For those of you struggling to sell/buy players or think that the transfer system is somehow unfair, here's a simple lesson in economics for you. Supply and demand, the most fundamental concepts of economics. When supply outstrips demand, the prices are lower. When demand outstrips supply, the prices are higher.

So you want to sell a player. It means you are the one who going to other clubs and offering them. Clubs may not be interested because they don't need this player or they already have someone of similar ability. However, one of the clubs will bite and offer you a lower amount than you're asking. Basically, the supply (player you want to sell) is higher than the demand (clubs that are looking to buy). So you get rid of the player for a lower price than what you were originally asking for.

Now lets say you have a very talented young player who will be (or is already) one of the best players in the world. Everyone and their grandmother will want this player, especially the biggest clubs. There you go, the demand is much higher than the supply. You'll have offers coming in and news items saying that such and such club is planning to submit an astronomical bid for this player.

It works the same way when you are the one who is looking to buy a player. If you are going after someone who is clearly on his way to world stardom, then expect to pay a lot of that player, especially if he is already far into his development. You'll also, most likely, will need to beat a lot of competition to sign him.

Also, remember when you submit a bid and you get a news item saying that the transfer story was leaked? This means the demand just increased for the player you were biding for. Other clubs, that may not have known about this player before, but would probably be interested in him, now are aware of the player and will likely to enter into a bidding war with you. So before you might have been able to buy the player for 5 million, now, with more interest from other clubs, you may have to expect to pay 8 million or more.

The people above are correct. The AI is designed to be as close to a human as possible. If you were in that club's position, wouldn't you milk the team that wants your player for all they're worth? The AI is just doing that too.

Yep, I've never really thought the asking prices for transfers for unfair. Why should they sell to you? Are they in administration? Is the player not needed? etc.

It sounds like you're trying to buy first team players on long term contracts. Unless you manager to unsettle the player why shouldn't they ask for a king's ransom? Find a cheaper option.

I think that the prices demanded in FM are generally far too high, I understand that clubs may want to refuse offers for first team players, but they can be too dogmatic, refusing sometimes insane offers, when I think that in reality the will of a big club would eventually triumph.

Also in Italy for example some transfers are facilitated by the buying club sending a player on loan or co-ownership or giving the selling club full ownerships rights to a co-owned player and in FM you cant do this and in general clubs seem very unwilling to accept cash plus player deals and enter into more complex transfers.

And why cant you bid for two players at once in a I want these two players and in return you can have these four of mine plus cash type of deal etc?

And that's before you get to the issue of player will, agents and media pressure cranking up over a whole summer. This part of the game seems very very underdeveloped imo and I would definitely like to see more ''will they wont they'' transfer saga type scenarios playing out over a transfer window or over a couple of years.

In FM, can a club get a reputation for being selling club etc?

Remember you don't have to buy the players on stupid transfer fees,Like other people have said get your scouts out with instructions to look for certain players to sort YOUR team and the way you play. I'm 5 seasons into my Liverpool save now and still not won the league but cups are no problem but I still get my scouts looking for what I want just in case I can find that one gem who will turn me into the league winners.

I don't have any problems with the players being expensive... the problem is that the economy is pretty much ****ed up in FM... I mean, the most expensive buy ever in Premier League is around £40 million, that's like half of what I spend during silly season (depending in which team I am playing with of course)....

I've never bought a high PA brazillian youngster for more than £5 million.

If I have however then it only would have happened once or twice.

One thing I am sick of though is having to pay £60-£80m for a top player, but when I want to sell a player of equal ability and age the most I can hope for is £30m

You want to buy a player, they don't want to sell

They're interested in a player after you offering out, you do want to sell.

Big difference

There are a number of things that people always seem to forget:

1) Transfers for the big clubs in later years are undervalued. In 20 years you'll still be paying roughly the same amount but do you think Shearer would sell for £10mil nowadays (assuming equivalence)?

2) Just like when you say no when someone makes an offer for you're wonderkid, so does the AI. Yes it's not perfect but do you think Barcelona would accept face value for Messi, Man U for Rooney etc. This game is not here to let you stockpile the best talent for reasonable prices. If you've got £80mil you can have Ronaldo but not otherwise (also please bear in mind that a star player at Burnley is a lot more valuable than if he were a reserve at Man U).

3) Negotiate and set 'non-negotiable'. If you're patient, unsettle the player (and yes it happens in real life - Fabregas is a recent example) then you'll get him for a darn sight less. If you want a quick fix you will almost always have to pay over the odds.

Archived