PDA

View Full Version : Quad Core................

TORATORATORA75
25-12-2007, 01:06
Just wanna ask you guys anybody running fm on a quad core chip and if so how many leagues you got going and how smooth is it.Thanks alot peeps............Fritz

cdcool
25-12-2007, 01:47
yep..CPU Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 Quad-Core 2.93GHz OC @ 3.2GHz

ALL leagues, evrything maxed out...no issues.

fmfan08
25-12-2007, 01:52
what about mine? i have amd athlon 4200+ 2.60 GHZ rated at 6.30GHZ and i have 2GB RAM

gubbs
25-12-2007, 07:50
Originally posted by cdcool:

Hoewever, if you check your actual cpu usage, you will find it never uses more than one core.

http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

cdcool
25-12-2007, 08:56
Originally posted by gubbs:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cdcool:

Hoewever, if you check your actual cpu usage, you will find it never uses more than one core.

http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see activity on Core2 as well.

Lucho_
25-12-2007, 09:55
Originally posted by fmfan08:
what about mine? i have amd athlon 4200+ 2.60 GHZ rated at 6.30GHZ and i have 2GB RAM

If you already have that computer, you are probably the one who should try it and tell the rest of us http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

Ste123
25-12-2007, 12:27
a quad core chip
does FM take the Quad core into account? does it use them all? can anyone from SI tell us this please? http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif thanks http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

johnwalker
25-12-2007, 12:53
I thought FM, like most games only uses two cores.

Ste123
25-12-2007, 13:03
thats what i thought but i would upgrade my CPU if they used the 4 cores.

Miles Jacobson
25-12-2007, 13:50
We only have one quad core machine in the office, and it plays the game very quickly indeed.

We haven't actually tested "core usage" at all to see how many it's using, and it hasn't been specifically optimised for quad core PC's. Some of the work on the 360 version will use mutliple cores, and that might translate into multi-core use on a PC aswell as some of that code will have been transferred over.

So whilst we've got no specific benchmarks, or specific optimisations done on purpose, multi-core machines do seem to play the game faster. We set up a game with all leagues running very quickly (I won a bet against Kev over the time it would take to set up http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

That said, if you don't notice a difference, don't blame me, as we've done no specific tests - it's just from personal experience.

Rb
25-12-2007, 14:00
I use a quad core and it works extremely quickly, running about 40 leauges.

Barside
26-12-2007, 02:37
FM does use all the cores, playing on a Q6600 as I type, in a moment of madness I decided to run all matches at full detail (currently have all European & S.American leagues plus Mexico & USA) & the CPU is peaking at 100% on match days.

Reminder to self: tone down the detail leval.

fmaddikt
26-12-2007, 02:45
QX9650 here, only notice usage on 2 cores, needs optimizing for next version, need an option for 2 or 4 threads.

hee163
26-12-2007, 04:10
I have a Q6600 running @ 2.7GHz, and notice it uses all 4 cores, though total cpu usage peaks at about 50-55%, and for normal processing is around 30%.

Sad Git
26-12-2007, 05:19
Luck Quad Core gits.....

Sad Git
26-12-2007, 05:20
That should have been LUCKY quad core gits, my profound apologies.

Vic154
26-12-2007, 06:30
I'm just about to purchase the Q6600. How much ram should I get, 2 or 4gb? How much ram do you guys have? Would it make much difference 2 or 4gb ram or is the speed of the game mainly down to the processor?

Barside
26-12-2007, 06:35
2BG is fine for FM.

TORATORATORA75
26-12-2007, 09:48
Yeah i asked the question as i am about to dip into my pocket for a new base unit and as FM is my main pc game i want to run all leagues.so a quad core it is.Thanks very much for all your feedback dudes.....

gubbs
27-12-2007, 05:16
Originally posted by cdcool:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cdcool:

http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see activity on Core2 as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhm, it doesn't. I have tested it extensively on an AMD X2 6400+.

The activity on other cores is almost certainly background (non FM) processes.

This app does not thread properly on any system I have tested it on ..

It uses 100% of one core e.g. it does not utilize more than one thread.

gubbs
27-12-2007, 05:18
Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:
We only have one quad core machine in the office, and it plays the game very quickly indeed.

We haven't actually tested "core usage" at all to see how many it's using, and it hasn't been specifically optimised for quad core PC's. Some of the work on the 360 version will use mutliple cores, and that might translate into multi-core use on a PC aswell as some of that code will have been transferred over.

So whilst we've got no specific benchmarks, or specific optimisations done on purpose, multi-core machines do seem to play the game faster. We set up a game with all leagues running very quickly (I won a bet against Kev over the time it would take to set up http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

That said, if you don't notice a difference, don't blame me, as we've done no specific tests - it's just from personal experience.

Of course it runs quickly - its a very quick processor. Even on one core it is faster than any uniprocessor die I can think of.

What it doesn't do, is scale to use the maximum available resources.

Barside
27-12-2007, 06:22

As I see use of all 4 cores on my Q6600 & others have mentioned all cores being utilised on Intel chipsets have you considered there is an issue with the AMD architecture in respect to effective threading on FM.

Just a thought.

George Graham
27-12-2007, 06:36
e6850 OC'ed on air (£150) will run all leagues quicker than any quad-core processor.

How do I know? Ive got a QX6850 running in my Crysis box and the game runs at the same speed. Even Crysis unpatched doesnt use anymore than 2 cores.

Only useful and worth the money for futureproofing and for running high-spec apps in the background, so unless your wadded save yourselves the cash.

Or OC a e6550 (£100) to e6850 speeds on air. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Fantazm
27-12-2007, 06:49
Mine definitely uses 2 for the game, but that's all.

Not that I'm complaining because it's quick as s*** off a shovel.

gubbs
27-12-2007, 09:13
Originally posted by Barside:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

As I see use of all 4 cores on my Q6600 & others have mentioned all cores being utilised on Intel chipsets have you considered there is an issue with the AMD architecture in respect to effective threading on FM.

Just a thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, thats a perfectly valid argument.

You could be right ..

I haven't tested it with Intel.

FMTopFan
06-01-2008, 23:01
Well I've got the Intel QX6700 oc'ed to 3.4Ghz running fine on all 4 cores upto 100%, but only if theres been lots of fixtures to process, which is fine as its very quick compared to when I had just a single core Athlon 64 @ 1.4Ghz. The QX6700 spreads the CPU usage equally over the 4 cores so with 4 cores x 3.4Ghz its a 13.6Ghz CPU. I get 4,600 CPU marks in 3dMark06.

I only run 8 leagues on huge database & run other league matches on Later Stages settings in full detail. Since I never get near 2012, I've set them like this on purpose hoping to get through the seasons much faster.

The Q6600 is the best CPU for performance/price at the moment & is very easy to overclock to 3.4Ghz, but not with a stock cooler. Dual core CPUs are the best at getting the highest clocks because they generate less heat than the quad core where 2 dual cores are stuck together, so you can push them further.

postal postie
07-01-2008, 05:24
it runs fast on my quad core. i only tend to have about 14 leagues running though. certainly when i first bought it i noticved the speed difference.

McMaster#28
21-01-2008, 13:15
Got a Quad Core the other week.
Needless to say it's faster than my laptop which struggled to run just the premiership with small DB http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

No idea if it's using all the cores or not, not sure how to tell.

Mike7077
21-01-2008, 13:34
I may have missed something here, but what happened to Francis Cole's SI logo under his name?

FMTopFan
29-01-2008, 22:37
I'm wondering - now that I have 8Gb of PC2-6400 RAM - would it run faster running ALL leagues or does it not using this much RAM to running so many leagues?

Speaking technically...
I'm thinking if its just processing time that takes so long to process the game, so the only other way I can think to run all leagues at reasonable speeds is to raise my Front Speed Bus (FSB) and increase my RAM speed for more processing power. To test this & for others to see comparison, I ran Everest Home Edition v2.20 then did the two benchmarks test. Firstly, the Memory Read on my OCZ DDR2 827Mhz RAM + 3.2Ghz CPU (1280Mhz FSB) just read at 8230MB/s - which should help the processing. The Memory Write benchmark was much lower at 2080MB/s, which looks normal to me.

In my opinion, having DDR3 is much better for FM2008 processing if you can afford it & make sure you get at least 1333Mhz, ideally 1,600Mhz to match newer FSBs on Intels newer chips. I've seen the Memory Write speeds on 1,600Mhz DDR3 to be just over 5,060Mb/s. I would love to see any other DDR3 memory benchmarks for comparison to DDR2 for anyone else to see if it is worth the extra cost, mainly for running FM2008, then in 2 years when most gamers have DDR3, we can all run most of the leagues http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ArseFly
30-01-2008, 00:10
Atleast Windwos Vista's performance monitor seems to think that FM loads all 4 cores on my Q6600. Sometimes all cores are even 100% at the same time, without any other programs running.

policy
30-01-2008, 00:24
How do you use a huge database?

I don't have that option on mine?

FMTopFan
03-02-2008, 07:52
Originally posted by policy:

It says Large database, not huge. We just say that because it loads everything for those selected leagues & performance dips alot.

Rb
03-02-2008, 08:01
Originally posted by policy:

There is a way of unlocking the "Huge database" function.

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7171989...432092253#6432092253 (http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/717198912/m/9192087153?r=6432092253#6432092253)

Frankie 7
03-02-2008, 09:44
I am looking to buy a new computer soon what system would anyone reccommend for FM to run fast?

adamjordan
03-02-2008, 13:51
windows xp

Frankie 7
03-02-2008, 14:21
Originally posted by adamjordan:
windows xp

Whit?

Anyway, Any answers by those who have something to offer other than twaddle please do. Thanks.

GrahamPoll\'sPants
03-02-2008, 19:38
Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

That said, if you don't notice a difference, don't blame me, as we've done no specific tests - it's just from personal experience. Out of interest, if you're running all leagues with a large db, roughly what percentage of the db will be loaded in-game? Presumably it would have to be all players staff and teams, right? Otherwise there must be people and teams that aren't loaded under any conditions.

policy
03-02-2008, 21:21
Frankie-

I would recommend SATA hard drives run in a RAID 0 configuration, a quad core hard drive, and at LEAST 2 gigs of DDR 800 RAM.

outremer
04-02-2008, 03:03
Originally posted by FMTopFan:

Firstly, the Memory Read on my OCZ DDR2 827Mhz RAM + 3.2Ghz CPU (1280Mhz FSB) just read at 8230MB/s - which should help the processing. The Memory Write benchmark was much lower at 2080MB/s, which looks normal to me.

In my opinion, having DDR3 is much better for FM2008 processing if you can afford it & make sure you get at least 1333Mhz, ideally 1,600Mhz to match newer FSBs on Intels newer chips. I've seen the Memory Write speeds on 1,600Mhz DDR3 to be just over 5,060Mb/s. I would love to see any other DDR3 memory benchmarks for comparison to DDR2 for anyone else to see if it is worth the extra cost, mainly for running FM2008, then in 2 years when most gamers have DDR3, we can all run most of the leagues http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

There must be something up with your memory timings - I get write speeds of 5270mb/s with 2x1gb DDR2-833 memory (Q6600@3ghz,1333mhz bus). It certainly isn't worth the price from where I'm standing.

I haven't seen FM use more than two cores on my system, but there is certainly a lack of pause when pressing "Continue" when compared to my dual-core system, and the game interface just feels "snappier".

FMTopFan
14-02-2008, 07:27
outremer: on DDR3, that was from a benchmark I came across on the net; mines just DDR2 from OCZ. Runs great with timings of 4-4-4-12-2T, latency of just 58ns!

Frankie 7: I would recommend these components as part of your setup:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE> Quad Core 6600 GO (energy effient & massive overclocking potential to 3Ghz+)
2x1Gb PC2 6400 800Mhz (get low memory timings of 4-4-4-15)
2x Seagate SATAII Barracude 500Gb (very cheap & fast harddrives. set these two up in RAID0)
[/list]

PaulC
14-02-2008, 07:35
The real benefit of threading in FM comes when you run leagues with matches in full detail....are any of you Quad core users doing that?

frogface
14-02-2008, 07:44
I have £400 to spend on a new hard drive - can this buy me a quad core system?

I am not the best when it comes to computers - so any advice will be great.

I currently have
2.8 ghz intel pentium 4
2gig ram
60gb hard drive

frogface
14-02-2008, 07:52
Originally posted by frogface:

I currently have
2.8 ghz intel pentium 4
2gig ram
60gb hard drive

or if my system is ok for now then I can keep saving if £400 is not enough to buy a quad core

trekman
14-02-2008, 07:55
I'm just about to purchase the Q6600. How much ram should I get, 2 or 4gb?

I think that would really depend on what version of windows you are using. If its the 32 bit version of windows vista then you wont be able to use much more that about 3.5 gb so unless its the 64bit version you have then 4gb would be pretty pointless.

trekman
14-02-2008, 07:59

I very much doubt it. I looked at various sites and the cheapest quad core system I could see was for £600.

You might be able to get a quad core processor for your current maching assuming the motherboard can take it. Looking on the manufacturers website should answer this for you.

frogface
14-02-2008, 08:05
Originally posted by trekman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have £400 to spend on a new hard drive - can this buy me a quad core system?

I very much doubt it. I looked at various sites and the cheapest quad core system I could see was for £600.

thanks for that trekman

I have noticed some q6600 systems on ebay for around the £400 mark but I dont know if to trust buying something off ebay for that much money

You might be able to get a quad core processor for your current maching assuming the motherboard can take it. Looking on the manufacturers website should answer this for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

frogface
14-02-2008, 08:15
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trekman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have £400 to spend on a new hard drive - can this buy me a quad core system?

here is the link to the one on ebay - can someone tell me if the system is a good one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUAD-CORE-2-Q6600-2GB-DDR2-320-GB...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUAD-CORE-2-Q6600-2GB-DDR2-320-GB-HDD-8500GT-512MB_W0QQitemZ250213872681QQihZ015QQcategoryZ179Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

cheers

thanks for that trekman

I have noticed some q6600 systems on ebay for around the £400 mark but I dont know if to trust buying something off ebay for that much money

You might be able to get a quad core processor for your current maching assuming the motherboard can take it. Looking on the manufacturers website should answer this for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FMTopFan
14-02-2008, 08:19
Originally posted by PaulC:
The real benefit of threading in FM comes when you run leagues with matches in full detail....are any of you Quad core users doing that?

Didn't think of that, thanks PaulC http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif At least you can change the levels during the game. Something to get the use of my QX6700!

Just checked my game Detail Level. I'm not running all leagues in full detail but here's the info:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>*Worldwide Club: (Later Stages).
*Europe (Later Stages): Champions League (Main Stages); UEFA Cup (Later Stages); Inter-Toto Cup (Later Stages); Super Cup (Later Stages).
*England (Mixed: Premiership (All); FA Cup (Main Stages); others are all on None.
*Italy (Mixed): Serie A: (All); others are all on None.
*Spain (Later Stages): La Liga (All); Copa del Rey (Main Stages); Supercopa (Later Stages); Federation Cup (Later Stages); Under 19s (None).

*World Cup (Mixed): Fifw World Cup (All); Fifa World Cup Quals. EUR (Main Stages); others are all on None.
*International(Mixed): African Cup of Nations (Later Stages); Asian Cup (Later Stages); European Championship (Later Stages); Euro Championship Quals (Main Stages); OCE Nations Cup (Later Stages); Copa America (Later Stages); Confederations Cup (Later Stages); U20 World Cup (Later Stages); UEFA U21 Championship (Later Stages); others are all on None. [/list]

bigdirtyjames
14-02-2008, 08:29
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by frogface:

I currently have
2.8 ghz intel pentium 4
2gig ram
60gb hard drive

or if my system is ok for now then I can keep saving if £400 is not enough to buy a quad core </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends.

If you're running just a small to medium database and a few leagues - your system will probably cope enough.

If you're looking to run everything - you should upgrade or just buy a new computer. The problem with upgrading is that you may need to change your motherboard, memory etc - then what is the point in doing all that and keeping it in an old case, so maybe you should pay that little bit extra and go the whole hog.

If you're already playing a game, maybe you should just keep saving your money untill FM'09 comes out, and then you can start off with a new computer.

It's really your call.

bigdirtyjames
14-02-2008, 08:31
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

Didn't think of that, thanks PaulC http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif At least you can change the levels during the game. Something to get the use of my QX6700!

Just checked my game Detail Level. I'm not running all leagues in full detail but here's the info:
*Europe (Later Stages): Champions League (Main Stages); UEFA Cup (Later Stages); Inter-Toto Cup (Later Stages); Super Cup (Later Stages).
*England (Mixed: Premiership (All); FA Cup (Main Stages); others are all on None.
*Spain (Later Stages): La Liga (All); Copa del Rey (Main Stages); Supercopa (Later Stages); Federation Cup (Later Stages); Under 19s (None).

*World Cup (Mixed): Fifw World Cup (All); Fifa World Cup Quals. EUR (Main Stages); others are all on None.
*International(Mixed): African Cup of Nations (Later Stages); Asian Cup (Later Stages); European Championship (Later Stages); Euro Championship Quals (Main Stages); OCE Nations Cup (Later Stages); Copa America (Later Stages); Confederations Cup (Later Stages); U20 World Cup (Later Stages); UEFA U21 Championship (Later Stages); others are all on None. [/list] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't listen to a QPR supporter http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dar2000
14-02-2008, 08:32
Those of you using a quad core, how long(game time) does it take to complete a season? (Please state amount of leagues, database..)

frogface
14-02-2008, 08:35
Originally posted by bigdirtyjames:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by frogface:

I currently have
2.8 ghz intel pentium 4
2gig ram
60gb hard drive

or if my system is ok for now then I can keep saving if £400 is not enough to buy a quad core </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends.

If you're running just a small to medium database and a few leagues - your system will probably cope enough.

If you're looking to run everything - you should upgrade or just buy a new computer. The problem with upgrading is that you may need to change your motherboard, memory etc - then what is the point in doing all that and keeping it in an old case, so maybe you should pay that little bit extra and go the whole hog.

If you're already playing a game, maybe you should just keep saving your money untill FM'09 comes out, and then you can start off with a new computer.

It's really your call. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for your advice - I have seen this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUAD-CORE-2-Q6600-2GB-DDR2-320-GB...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUAD-CORE-2-Q6600-2GB-DDR2-320-GB-HDD-8500GT-512MB_W0QQitemZ250213872681QQihZ015QQcategoryZ179Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

it seems a good price - is this much better than my spec

bigdirtyjames
14-02-2008, 08:44
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bigdirtyjames:

I currently have
2.8 ghz intel pentium 4
2gig ram
60gb hard drive

It depends.

it seems a good price - is this much better than my spec </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems like a nice Machine.

The only problem would usually be that it's a lot of money to pay on Ebay, but the guy's own feedback is 99% - so why not.

Make sure you use paypal - goodluck.

bigdirtyjames
14-02-2008, 08:45
Sorry - great price too...

frogface
14-02-2008, 08:48
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bigdirtyjames:

I currently have
2.8 ghz intel pentium 4
2gig ram
60gb hard drive

It depends.

it seems a good price - is this much better than my spec </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems like a nice Machine.

The only problem would usually be that it's a lot of money to pay on Ebay, but the guy's own feedback is 99% - so why not.

Make sure you use paypal - goodluck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes I think I am going to get it - why not

new patch
new machine to play it on!!

thanks for your help

bigdirtyjames
14-02-2008, 08:51
Sorry - just one last thing.

After checking, I've realised that I paid £700 for basically the same machine 3 months ago, so there you go.

Enjoy.

frogface
14-02-2008, 08:54
ok so it is a bargain

they do the same system but with 4gb of ram instead of 2 gb for an extra £100 - do you think its worth the extra money or is 2gb enough?

bigdirtyjames
14-02-2008, 08:58
ok so it is a bargain

they do the same system but with 4gb of ram instead of 2 gb for an extra £100 - do you think its worth the extra money or is 2gb enough?

Hmmm.

It's a close one. I was going to say no - just leave it, but i've been thinking of pushing my RAM up to 4gb, not that I need it mind you, but just in case.

It's your call, and it's pretty simple to do yourself if you'd prefer to wait for a while and the (Ram) price goes down. You could always save the money and get yourself Microsoft Office or something like that.

frogface
14-02-2008, 09:00
ok so it is a bargain

Hmmm.

It's a close one. I was going to say no - just leave it, but i've been thinking of pushing my RAM up to 4gb, not that I need it mind you, but just in case.

It's your call, and it's pretty simple to do yourself if you'd prefer to wait for a while and the (Ram) price goes down. You could always save the money and get yourself Microsoft Office or something like that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes you are right I can always add the extra if I need it - probably wond do though the system should be more than adequate for my needs.

Will be a shame to put my old system to rest - we have been through alot together over the last 7 years!!

bod1035
14-02-2008, 09:19
Frogface if u do get the system post your thoughts on it in this thread, if it good i may snap one up myself. Cheers http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

frogface
14-02-2008, 09:23
just seen this one it ends in 30 odd minutes
I think it looks as good as the other system but even cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUAD-CORE-9-6Ghz-Q6600-2GB-500GB-...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUAD-CORE-9-6Ghz-Q6600-2GB-500GB-8500GT-1GB-SHIN_W0QQitemZ350025019353QQihZ022QQcategoryZ179QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Does it look similar to the spec of the other one from what you can see?

bod1035
14-02-2008, 09:33
just seen this one it ends in 30 odd minutes
I think it looks as good as the other system but even cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUAD-CORE-9-6Ghz-Q6600-2GB-500GB-...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUAD-CORE-9-6Ghz-Q6600-2GB-500GB-8500GT-1GB-SHIN_W0QQitemZ350025019353QQihZ022QQcategoryZ179QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Does it look similar to the spec of the other one from what you can see?
The first one you saw is faster

frogface
14-02-2008, 09:38
ok thanks for that - I wouldnt of known any difference between the two

frogface
14-02-2008, 10:22
ok I have just bought the first quad core system I posted on here for £383

Will post on here with how it runs fm 2008

cant wait for it to arrive

SmurfDude
14-02-2008, 12:15
I'm using a Q6600 overclocked to 3.6ghz and am running around 80 leagues with the main european leagues at full detail. It runs faster than my old computer with an AMD3500 ran 10 leagues.

trekman
15-02-2008, 03:05
When I said I'd seen one for £600 I meant the whole thing (monitor,speakers,keyboard,mouse) not just the tower itself.

sav112
15-02-2008, 04:20
waiting now for the new quad Cpu's but good to read they seem to help out running the game.

By May hope to have Quad Core and 10MBs Virgin BB to help with the old Clan game....

frogface
15-02-2008, 04:22
3 working days for delivery of my new quad core tower - so it will be next Friday before I can really test it.

gubbs
15-02-2008, 04:22
I'm not convinced spending a fortune on a quad is worth the investment ..

Unless you are using the machine to compile a lot of bins from src or encoding video etc.

FM 2008 threading is so lame it doesn't justify the outlay ..

I mean, even with max detail on several leagues you aren't going to see 100% core utilisation for more than 20% of the game experience.

frogface
15-02-2008, 04:24
I'm not convinced spending a fortune on a quad is worth the investment ..

Unless you are using the machine to compile a lot of bins from src or encoding video etc.

FM 2008 threading is so lame it doesn't justify the outlay ..

I mean, even with max detail on several leagues you aren't going to see 100% core utilisation for more than 20% of the game experience.

I have no idea mate - just know I had £400 to spend on a new tower - I have spent it and I am hoping for the best - lol

gubbs
15-02-2008, 04:26
Hehe wasn't suggesting you aren't getting a damn nice PC. Just that I don't think FM takes real advantage of it.

In fact I only know of two games that use threading currently on the market ..

UT and FEAR ..

I spent £300 on a AMD x2 4000+, 2gb of ram and a mobo psu etc last month.

So £400 for a quad sounds good.

frogface
15-02-2008, 04:31
Hehe wasn't suggesting you aren't getting a damn nice PC. Just that I don't think FM takes real advantage of it.

In fact I only know of two games that use threading currently on the market ..

UT and FEAR ..

I spent £300 on a AMD x2 4000+, 2gb of ram and a mobo psu etc last month.

So £400 for a quad sounds good.

yep I hope it does the job and lasts me a good few years just like my old faithful has.

Quad cost £383 inc delivery so I am hoping its a bargain

gubbs
15-02-2008, 04:42
TBH you couldn't build one retail and ship it for that price.

frogface
15-02-2008, 04:45

Just hope it arrives now!!!!

£383 is cheap if it comes and more importantly works

very expensive if the item doesnt turn up or turns up but doesnt work - lol

gubbs
15-02-2008, 04:54
Don't sweat it, if its crap send it back! Ebay init.

Let me know how it turns out with FM, I'm thinking of a Phenom* myself ..

*Yes I know they suck but I can get it for 50% retail through work since we're AMD's bitch.

MarkTCfc
15-02-2008, 09:05
I have single core AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor and FM seems to run ok on it.

frogface
20-02-2008, 04:30

very expensive if the item doesnt turn up or turns up but doesnt work - lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok quad core arrived this morning - however without no operating system!
After scouting arount I found a supplier that offers vista premium for £70 so need to wait for that to arrive now before I can post comment on the new system

That takes the total spend to £453

gubbs
20-02-2008, 05:37

very expensive if the item doesnt turn up or turns up but doesnt work - lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After scouting arount I found a supplier that offers vista premium for £70 so need to wait for that to arrive now before I can post comment on the new system

That takes the total spend to £453 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have MSM?

mrgubbs@hotmail.com

Maybe give you some software tips to get the best out of it. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

orfordlee
20-02-2008, 06:17
I Have just brought a new desktop from dell 4gb ram 2.66 DUAL core processor 250 gb HDD. Im Playing with 6 Countries and about 15 or 16 different leauges on a large db and im having no trouble with any speed or lag issues.

sav112
20-02-2008, 10:15
I'm wondering - now that I have 8Gb of PC2-6400 RAM - would it run faster running ALL leagues or does it not using this much RAM to running so many leagues?

Hope your on Vista 64 Bit... otherwise you do realise 32 bit systems are limited to the fact it can only use 3.5GB. And I guess as your playing a game your not. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

That’s why on my new system I’m only going with 4GB and even then I'm only getting 3.5Gb use.

HHUK
21-02-2008, 03:11
My quadcore comes tomorrow, shame really as I ordered it yesterday to be delivered today, last time I order from Overclockers tbh, regular occurance. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Back to Ebuyer.

I ordered a Q6600 with an Abit motherboard, 2Gb of OCZ RAM and a big cooler thing, with a guide to overclock it from 2.4Ghz to 3.3Ghz.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-101-OK
Is the link if anyone is considering buying one, all you'd need is a case, a power supply and a graphics card.

In theory that's 13.2Ghz of raw processing power. :O

Some people have overclocked it to 3.6Ghz and 4.0Ghz but anything over 3.3Ghz can be unstable if you have over 2Gb RAM and would require a 12 hour stress test to make sure the system is totally stable. Some people have reached temperatures of 100+ when trying such a stress test though.

Although, with good enough cooling you should be able to get below 65 which tbh I reckon is the absolute safe limit to not damage your processor.

I've heard some people's Q6600's idling at 19! Just gotta ensure a good airflow.

I'll report back my findings on Friday night or Saturday morning depending on how much FM sucks me in. http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Roman Bednar
21-02-2008, 05:46
I'm waiting for my Quad Core to come company said by end of this week I want it now though http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Neil Roberts
21-02-2008, 07:10
I have a quad core pc overclocked running at 3.2mhz, 4gb ram on visa 64bit and FM uses all four cores according to the vista gadget that shows the core & ram useage.

cooLLedge
21-02-2008, 07:32
Originally posted by trekman:

You might be able to get a quad core processor for your current maching assuming the motherboard can take it. Looking on the manufacturers website should answer this for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

erm... i got my oem version at 160? Q6600 works fine all u need is a £30 fan/heatsink and ur sorted

cooLLedge
21-02-2008, 07:34
Originally posted by Neil Roberts:
I have a quad core pc overclocked running at 3.2mhz, 4gb ram on visa 64bit and FM uses all four cores according to the vista gadget that shows the core & ram useage.

vista, aswell as it also saying.. 4gig ram.. GIVE ME MORE!!!! FEED MEEEEE lol

xp ftw always

VonBlade
21-02-2008, 07:35
^^

and a motherboard that supports it. And DDR2 RAM if you haven't already got it. And a power supply that can supply the juice.

Still. A quick ramp of the FSB from 1066 to 1333 and your Q6600 becomes a 3GHZ Quad monster. Lovely.

JJ
21-02-2008, 08:01
I have a X2 6000 dual core, 2gb dual channel ram, running 40 leagues, large DB and in full detail.

Runs quick

bigdirtyjames
21-02-2008, 08:07

Ah, sorry to hear that. Can someone not lend you their vista copy, and then when yours comes - key in the registration code of your own version?

I've been waiting all week for your post. Damn http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

mattyspurs76
22-02-2008, 07:22
Got E6300 (1.8gz overclocked to 3.1gz,better than E6850 hehe) 2Gb PC5300 and 4GB Readyboost, Vista Home Prem.

Ive loaded up huge database:
Arg,Brazil,Belguim,France,Germany,Portugal,Spain,U SA,S.Africa,Mexico,Holland<scotland and England.

Poss missed a few out of there, run the top 2 leagues for each country except scotland n england where run them all.

I then load all players from all Scandinavian Countrys and other Euro leagues.

Game runs nice n smoothly, alot better than previous versions, and new games load a hell of alot quicker.

Im very happy with it

frogface
22-02-2008, 07:36

Ah, sorry to hear that. Can someone not lend you their vista copy, and then when yours comes - key in the registration code of your own version?

I've been waiting all week for your post. Damn http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vista arrived today so will play fm over the weekend after finishing work today and report back!

bod1035
22-02-2008, 08:09
Looking forward on hearing how it runs, may convince me to hit the credit card and upgrade http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

frogface
25-02-2008, 08:50
Ok played my new quad core 2 6680 at the weekend for the first time and it made a maiive difference to the speed of the game - I used to play 4 nations 7 leagues and this time I played 20 odd countries and about 40 ish leagues and the game ran much quicker than when I had 7 leagues - incredible.

I would advise anyone thinking of upgrading to do it because a quad core should be able to cope with the most demanding of games for years to come

bigdirtyjames
25-02-2008, 10:28
Ok played my new quad core 2 6680 at the weekend for the first time and it made a maiive difference to the speed of the game - I used to play 4 nations 7 leagues and this time I played 20 odd countries and about 40 ish leagues and the game ran much quicker than when I had 7 leagues - incredible.

I would advise anyone thinking of upgrading to do it because a quad core should be able to cope with the most demanding of games for years to come

Good man. Glad it's going well.

I was just happy that the maych engine ran properly on my new computer - as it took a 1/2 hour for the old engine to run at its quickest.

Schwarz
25-02-2008, 16:38
FM + Quad Core = Huge speed. Definitely worth it. Dual Cores lag way behind. If FM was better programmed do deal with multi-cores (or even dual cores for that matter) running all leagues at an acceptable speed would be a reality.

bod1035
26-02-2008, 01:26

Glad it all worked out well Frogface http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

Looks like i am going to have to hit my credit card now. Has anyone on these boards had dealings with pc specialist as i am thinking of getting a custom stack built by them.

valencia
26-02-2008, 02:27
hi all, great thread. buying a PC for me always revolves around how quickly i can play FM! lol

I've bought the following and am awaiting its delivery. its not a quad core but its a dual core penryn laptop

https://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NNB-597

could anyone tell me how it is likely to far on FM. how many divisions/leagues i could run on medium database (i like to zip along in FM and knock out a season every 8-12 hours playing time.

cheers guys. (reading this thread im kind of wishing i had waited for the quad core laptops (rock etc)) I really hope i havent made a misktake!

valencia
26-02-2008, 02:28
forgot to mention. it will be running Vista premium (i fear that could be a mistake?!)

bod1035
26-02-2008, 03:27
Originally posted by valencia:
hi all, great thread. buying a PC for me always revolves around how quickly i can play FM! lol

I've bought the following and am awaiting its delivery. its not a quad core but its a dual core penryn laptop

could anyone tell me how it is likely to far on FM. how many divisions/leagues i could run on medium database (i like to zip along in FM and knock out a season every 8-12 hours playing time.

cheers guys. (reading this thread im kind of wishing i had waited for the quad core laptops (rock etc)) I really hope i havent made a misktake!

Not to sure Valencia as a quick speed for one person is slow for another, but that laptop is pretty damn fine so i am sure it will run a fair few at quick speeds.

Wish i had that sort of money to spend http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Anyway when you get it update this thread on how well it does http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif

valencia
26-02-2008, 03:58
Originally posted by bod1035:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by valencia:

Not to sure Valencia as a quick speed for one person is slow for another, but that laptop is pretty damn fine so i am sure it will run a fair few at quick speeds.

Wish i had that sort of money to spend http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Anyway when you get it update this thread on how well it does http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

(thats what credit cards are for!) http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

the new penryn processors are getting good reviews, so im hoping i can run between 30 and 40 Divisions (not leagues!) and get through a season in about 8 hours. i've found i lose interest if it takes much longer than that (on my old system it took me 24 hours game time to get through a season with around 30 divisions running - the girlfriend was not amused!)

DeathReborn
26-02-2008, 21:09
Originally posted by valencia:

You haven't made a mistake, FM won't use 4 cores FM seems to load only 2 threads, Vista can load as many as you throw at it.

It'll easily do 40 leagues at medium (maybe 30 large). It'll do somewhere between 6-9 hours depending on how fast you play it.

valencia
27-02-2008, 02:47
Originally posted by DeathReborn:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by valencia:

You haven't made a mistake, FM won't use 4 cores FM seems to load only 2 threads, Vista can load as many as you throw at it.

It'll easily do 40 leagues at medium (maybe 30 large). It'll do somewhere between 6-9 hours depending on how fast you play it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

excellent. just the kind of answer i wanted. thanks mate. it's hard to gauge how many to run before a game starts. trial and error i suppose. 6-9 hours a season sounds a wholly bearable rate to me.

thanks for the info http://community.sigames.com/customicons/icon14.gif http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Frankie 7
02-03-2008, 11:31
Well i ordered a Quad Core Today. Hope this will be ok.
This should help make my games season's run faster now.

System Look (http://budgetcomputers.biz/catalog/images/GALAXY3N.jpg)

EZ BLK 550 WATT CASE
GIGABYTE N650 SLI-DS4 MB
INTEL QUAD CORE 2 Q6600 8MB L2 CACHE
2GB DDR 2 800MHZ
18X DUAL LAYER DUAL FORMAT DVDR/RW
320 GB SATA II 16MB
512MB GEFORCE 8600GT (DVI TO HDTV ADAPTOR) PCI-E SLI
(DIRECT X 10)
8 CHANNEL HD AUDIO
SATA WITH RAID FUNCTION
OPTIMIZED GIGABIT LAN CONNECTION
6X USB 2.0

Schwarz
02-03-2008, 20:26
If you play 3d games, you will have a hard time due to the graphics card.

AcidBurn
03-03-2008, 12:31
I haqve a quadcore machine and I run a large database with around 30 leagues from 22 countries and it take around 8 hours a season.

I am currently using this set up as QPR and have spent 1 day 11 hours and am starting the 5th season now but I would knock about 6 hours off as I leave it on when I go out some times.

I ran a holiday mode with 30 leagues from 24 countries and it took 1 hour 6 mins to do a season.

Robhug
04-03-2008, 05:46
This is coming out a leading bargain supermarket for an unbelieveable £499:

Medion Akoya Core2Quad Q6600 with 3 Gb of Ram and Nvidia GeForce 8600GT graphics card, dual layer DVD writer, TV tuner, wireless keyboard and mouse plus remote, 3 Year Warranty. software includes works 9 and Nero Essentials - available from Thursday the 13th of March.
Website just says coming soon.

Core2 Quad Q6600
500GB SATA HDD
3GB Ram
GeForce 8600GT graphics
8 Channel Audio
Multi Format Dual Layer DVD writer
High Speed WLAN 802.11 n-Draft
Integrated front memory card reader
DVB-T/DVB-S Freeview TV Tuner
Wireless Keyboard & Mouse, Remote Control
Works 9.0
Nero Essentials
Power DVD 7
Power Director 6
Power Producer 4
Three Year Warranty

This field intentionally left blank
04-03-2008, 09:51
FM won't use 4 cores FM seems to load only 2 threads

It uses all 4 cores, albeit briefly, on my box when it computes the results of games not in my league.

FMTopFan
04-03-2008, 19:08
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FMTopFan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

*International(Mixed): African Cup of Nations (Later Stages); Asian Cup (Later Stages); European Championship (Later Stages); Euro Championship Quals (Main Stages); OCE Nations Cup (Later Stages); Copa America (Later Stages); Confederations Cup (Later Stages); U20 World Cup (Later Stages); UEFA U21 Championship (Later Stages); others are all on None. [/list] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't listen to a QPR supporter http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whos the QPR supporter? Certainly not me, I'm unfortunate enough to support Newcastle Utd, lifelong sufferer http://community.sigames.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif And thats why I'm playing as my favourite foreign team - Barcelona instead!

I've nearly finished my 1st season now on 1st April - I play it off & on as I'm in a CoD4 clan most days - so going off Xfire I've played it for 78 hours. I'm probably a slow manager whos methodical over every aspect of the game & constantly searching for players, mainly upcoming youth players. So compared to most people who play 10+ seasons, I'm pretty slow but next season I will have every in place to just concentrate on getting the results.

I know theres less to manage since I planned it doing it all in 1st season so I'll let you know how fast the 2nd season goes - should do it in 45hours this time. In the early Champ Man days, I charged through the seasons, but they give you so many things to do in FM that I can get sidetracked a tad.

Oh well, I've got Primera title in the bag after 29 games played with my marvelous "The Winning" 4-1-4-1 formation!

alimdemir
08-03-2008, 03:45
4 cores use ok