I've just bought FM2010 - Why are there so many injuries?

Playing the demo last year put me off buying this game, but I've read alot of positive things about it and found it at a cheap price and decided to get it.

I've been playing it for the past few days but the injuries I'm getting are making it unplayable.

So far, I have played about 11/12 games and I have had to replace at least 1 injured player in each game so far, and that's not including the amound of 'knocks' the rest of my team are picking up too. I would have thought it were a bug, but the opposition don't seem to be getting many injuries, just my players. What am I doing wrong?

I use the same tactics I did in the last game, Attacking, Closing down the whole pitch, and quick tempo, and yet all my players are finishing games on high 60's low 70's for fitness yet this wasn't the case for me in FM2009. Also, because of the knocks my players are getting I'm finding it hard to keep any of my players near 100% and am usually going into games with my whole squad at early 90's fitness levels.

My training is also set to medium for every player so it can't be that.

Anybody have any advice, as apart from all these injuries I'm really liking this game.

This is my point. I had no such problems with injuries in the last game playing the exact same tactics I do now, so what has changed? Why am I having fitness issues with this game?

And as I have said, during games it seems to be the majority of injuries and knocks are falling my way.

Would you be 100% all the time if you played for a manager that asked that of you?

Probably not, but since when has FM let realism get in the way of things?

This is my point. I had no such problems with injuries in the last game playing the exact same tactics I do now, so what has changed? Why am I having fitness issues with this game?

Things change between games, you shouldn't expect everything that works in one game to work without question in the next.

Considering it's a simulation, realism is pretty important.

quick tempo = swifter movement of ball and player, so more energy is used. the same goes for closing down for the entire pitch. They have tried to make FM10 more realistic in this manner, so unless you rotate every game your players will go down in condition very fast.

There does seem to be a few more knocks, although i never seem to have more than 3-4 players out at a time. I play control or counter, with short passing and everything else on default. The tiredest player on the pitch is usually my box to box midfielder going down around 20-25%. all the others only drop 15-20% and recover quickly after.

So you would prefer for it to remain as it was and not strive to become more realistic as its development progresses over the years?

I'm pretty sure your tactics on FM09 would have had similar results tbh.

How is my physio coming on to the pitch 5/6 times every game realistic? I'm sorry, but that just doesn't happen. Maybe once in a blue moon, but not every single game.

I don't know why everyone is attacking my tactics. Attacking football doesn't equal injuries. You're also not taking into account the fact that the oppositions fitness also takes a heavy beating as the game goes on, and the majority certainly don't play attacking football. My attacking bar is set 2 notches into attacking, and my tempo bar is set at the first notch of quick, one away from normal. I fail to see what is too unreasonable about that. Not that the players follow my instructions anyway, as I still see the opposition defense passing the ball freely between themselves whilst my strikers stand and watch (they both have a high work rate too.)

So this was their masterplan in striving to improve the game? Knock up the injuries and knock up the fatigue during games? Who does that benefit? It certainly doesn't benefit the casual player who doesn't want to tinker with his training schedules and tactics constantly whilst worrying if he'll have a fit starting 11 come the next game.

There also seems to be a high no. of 'robust challenges' during training too, and surely this isn't my fault aswell? What can I do about that?

You've also only played 11/12 games in your own words.

Come back when you've played 3-5 seasons, if you are still having high levels of injuries (Not your opinion but compared to RL stats) constantly you are doing something wrong.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=198415&highlight=injury

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=203042&highlight=injuries

These 2 threads will tell you all you need to know. Its not a bug, the games not broken, it is something you are doing.

Injuries and fitness in 10.3 are closer to RL than they have ever been, thats why your 09 tactic isn't working so well on this front.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for replying a two months old topic, but I want to say that here in Brazil the injuries don't go like that. It's rare for a player to be out from action for long, there are cases, but normally the squads are with the top 11 players at the club fit... so if SI really wanted to do something close to RL, then they should have done an extensive research to check how injuries affect the clubs in different countries.

And btw most of the injuries here are training related... so the game is not close to real life by inflicting injuries in matches...

So many things in the game can affect the players fitness and them picking up injuries. Also I don't think playing only 11/12 games can give an accurate assessment for injuries. Like an earlier post said wait until you are 3 - 5 seasons in then judge on how the injuries have went. The players that are picking up injuries - what is their overall fitness levels like? Does it say in the coach reports if the player(s) is prone to injury? What is their stamina like in the player attributes section (if they have a low attribute and they are pushed too hard they can become prone to injuries - especially if you don't sub them)? Also the 11/12 games that you had played at the time - were the majority of these matches pre-season friendlies because in pre-season the players fitness levels are way down as we all know so pushing them too hard too much can make them prone to injuries. What setting do you have Tackling on? If it's Hard then this will make them prone to injuries as well because they could come out the worse in a hard tackle. The team you're playing against could be a hard tackling team which could account for your players picking up injuries. Also what team are you playing? If it's a lower league team then their training regime could be too high even on a high/medium setting (if they are on part-time contracts that is). Having the tactics constantly at quick tempo (even one notch above normal) and closing down the whole pitch will tire them out far quicker so even if they are ok in the previous match(s) they might not be ok in the next match (especially if their Stamina is low) - you'll tire them out quicker and it will catch up to them. Players finishing on high 60s and low 70s is normal to me especially if you have these sort of tactics for every match. My players usually finish with high 60s and low 70s but they don't continually pick up injuries. I sometimes have quite a few injuries and then I can go weeks without having any real major player injuries. I think if you were running around on your tactics for 90+ minutes then you would have a fitness level like that as well - or lower. Remember as well that "freak" injuries can occur. Look at when Man Utd bought Van Nistelrooy - as soon as they bought him, he picked up an ankle injury in one of his first training sessions, going over on his ankle which put him out for a good few weeks.

You also say that it's unrealisitc that the physio comes on 5/6 times in the matches. This isn't uncommon at all because you see it all the time in real life matches. I watched a match a few days ago - Arsenal v Blackburn - and Robin Van Persie had the physio come on twice in the matter of about 10-20 mins, so for it to happen 4 or 5 times in one whole match is not unrealistic. If it wasn't your tactics in some way and it was "a bug" then it would be affecting everyone and not just you. But it won't JUST be your tactics as there could be a number of things that will affect your players picking up injuries as I have mentioned earlier. Also, how do you know that the opposition's players are taking a beating as well? You don't know what their tactics are but I'm sure if they had their players closing down the whole pitch then their players would tire out a lot quicker also. I've played a many number of matches where the opposition players have had the physio on and have picked up injuries and my players haven't picked up anything.

It's not a bug and the game isn't broken.

So this was their masterplan in striving to improve the game? Knock up the injuries and knock up the fatigue during games? Who does that benefit? It certainly doesn't benefit the casual player who doesn't want to tinker with his training schedules and tactics constantly whilst worrying if he'll have a fit starting 11 come the next game.

It may not benefit the casual player in your opinion but if you want a realisitic football sim then you have to take the realism in tinkering with tactics, training etc. You can't play - or want - a realistic football sim and then complain about having to do what a realistic football sim asks of you. That's like buying a high gas mileage car and then complaining that you have to fill it up all the time, or becoming a football manager yourself and getting everyone else to do the work for you because you're only a "casual" manager. The fatigue levels in the game from what I have seen seem realistic to me also - especially if the tactics are like yours for every single match. You ask players to close down the whole pitch with high tempos and attacking all the time then the players WILL suffer from fatigue.

If you don't like it don't play it, but if you're having trouble with the game you can go through a lot of these forums and there is more than enough to give you good information on what the problem can be.

Archived