Technical, Physical or Mental?

MENTAL, TECHNICAL OR PHYSICAL? WHICH IS THE BEST TO HAVE?

Okay, this is a tad unrealistic, but I have created three players (David Mental, John Technical and Jack Physical) and they are all unemployed. Here are the things they have in common:

They are 185cm tall

They are 75kg in weight

They are all Central Midfielders

They are all 18 on September 1st 2007

They have a Current Rep. of 180

They have a Home Rep. of 200

They have a World Rep. of 80

They are all English

They all have a PA of 200

They all have a CA of 150

So lets have a look at them individually:

David Mental:

All Mental Stats are set to 20

All Technical Stats are set to 1

All Physical Stats are set to 1

John Technical:

All Mental Stats are set to 1

All Technical Stats are set to 20

All Physical Stats are set to 1

Jack Physical:

All Mental Stats set to 1

All Technical Stats set to 1

All Physical Stats set to 20

If you want any more info just ask…..

I am setting up the database this second

Just started the game up - but I have noticed one or two things.

All the 20 stats have stayed the same and have not been rounded down.

However about half of the 1 stats have been rounded up to around 9.

All the players have already been declared for England U21s.

So - I will still do this experiment as it still seems to be fair - screenies to follow

Originally posted by WolvesBestEvaManager:

Just started the game up - but I have noticed one or two things.

All the 20 stats have stayed the same and have not been rounded down.

However about half of the 1 stats have been rounded up to around 9.

All the players have already been declared for England U21s.

So - I will still do this experiment as it still seems to be fair - screenies to follow

That's due to what I wrote above about the starting CA. Their successes will depend on the clubs that sign them. Also, your outcome could be very different if you lowered the CA/PA. For example, Physical dude would probably do better if they all had low CAs and Reps because they'd be in lower leagues, whereas with a higher rep/CA and playing at a higher level mental and technical attributes will be more important. Such a limited experiment might be quite fun and I'll keep an eye on development, but I doubt we'll learn anything.

Yes - I did take that into account. I agree this will only be a small experiment (if you would call it that?) but I will probbably take on advice I recieve from this one and use it in the one I will run in FM09.

But now its time for....

THE PRE-SEASON UPDATE!

The question on your minds is probably who's gone where well I will reveal all.....

John Technical - Everton (In the first team plans and has been told he will be used in Everton rotation system.)

David Mental - Newcastle (Has been given the vote of confidence by Big Sam who thinks Dave can be a First Team squad member.)

Jack Physical - Chelsea (Rejected Barnsley for Chelsea. No suprises there.He has been dumped in Chelsea U18s and as been given the title of a hot prospect.)

So....

Will any Young Guns get a England call up?

JANRUARY 2008 UPDATE

John Technical:

Made 13 appearances for Everton so far this season without a single goal. When John has played so far Everton have won 50% of their games. So far he has made 4 England U21 caps without finding the net.

Current Value: £4.8M

David Mental:

Has had the best start out of the 3 wonderkid's! Has started for the Toon 24 times and has hit the net once in a League Cup game against West Ham United. Astonishingly, he has attempted 113 tackles, and all of thoose tackles have been gives as fouls!For England U21 he has made 5 caps but hasn't yet scored.

Current Value: £5.5M

Jack Physical:

The young boy has been made Chelsea U18s captain and has normally featured at Centre Back rather than his best position Centre Mid. The kid has also featured in the Champions League (for 13 mins) coming on as sub in the place of John Terry. Hasn't appeared at any level for England.

Value: £4.2M

League Tables will appear at the end of season report

2007/08 SEASON UPDATE!

John Technical:

Started to lose his ways abit towards the end of the season and was dropped. John through up a temper and was consequently playing reserve football for the last few games. Still couldn't geet his name on the scoresheet for the Evertonians. Added one more U21 appearance.

Season Stats:

Games: 18 (2)

Goals: 0

Yellow Cards: 2

Red Cards: 1

M.O.T.M: 0

England U21s Caps: 5

England U21s Goals: 0

Value: £4.9M

David Mental:

Had a very solid start to pro football. Also guided Newcastle to a FA Cup Final (in which he

played) but the Toon Army unfortunately lost 2-1 at the hands of Chelsea. David featured in all league games apart from 1.

Season Stats:

Games: 37 (0)

Yellow Cards: 5

Red Cards: 0

M.O.T.M: 0

England U21 Caps: 6

England U21 Goals: 0

Value: £10.5M

Jack Physical:

Didn't make a single league appearence for the Stamford boys this season. Has shown promise in playing to European games and 2 FA Cup games. One for the future.

NO STATS

Value: £4.2M

Astonishingly, he has attempted 113 tackles, and all of thoose tackles have been gives as fouls

John through [sic] up a temper

Did you do anything with the hidden attributes, or have you checked them? They can play a major bearing on a player's progress.

PRE-SEASON REPORT 2008/09

Overall, there has been some shock news. Too add, none of the wonderkid's were picked in the senior squad for Euro 2008. On that note,England were knocked out (on penalties - what a suprise!) against later winners Switzerland (Yes - Switzerland)!

John Technical:

Has signed a new contract with the Tofees until July 2010.

David Mental:

After the dissapointment of not being selected in the England squad for Euro 2008 he heard som e very good news. That news was that he had been announced captain for England U21s.

Jack Physical:

Jack was selected for England U19s squad for their Euro 2008. Jack made 1 appearence for the youngsters and that came in the final (with a 10 rating at the end) against Italy U19s. He scored the winner with a super close range header.

John Technical:

JANRUARY 2009 REPORT

John Technical:

Has came on greatly over the last 3 months. Almost every Mental attribute was improved by 3 points. Started 13 games so far but hasn't found the target. He has scored in the UEFA Cup Group Stages though with a stunning volley from 40 yards.

Value: £4.9M

David Mental:

Has been injury hit so far this season at Newcastle so that has reduced him to only 8 starts out of 18 games. His value is amazing though

Value: £16.75M

Jack Physical

He will really be a hit in the Chelsea first XI next season. Has had a start in the Champions League....in which he scored! Hasn't played since then for teh blues though.

Value: £4.3M

END OF SEASON REPORT 2008/09

John Technical:

Issued a public apology for last seasons outburst. He fought his way back into the team with deadly passing. Didn't help Evertons on pitch perfomance as they came a resounding 12th. Intrest from PSV, Real Madrid and Man Utd have upped his price tag slightly.

Season Stats:

Games: 31 (3)

Yellow Cards: 3

M.O.T.M: 1

England U21 Caps: 11

England U21 Goals: 0

Value: £5M

David Mental

Another solid season for the Geordies and David. Scoring afew more goals than last season David has improved a fair bit. Tottenham and Valencia are rumoured to be firing up bids of £25-30M for the young man.

Season stats:

Games: 34 (0)

Goals: 3

Yellow Cards: 5

M.O.T.M: 1

England U21s Caps: 10

England U21s Goals: 0

Value: £19M

Jack Physical

No games means no goals for Jack. He was sent out on lon to PSV Eindhoved and scored a hattrick for them against Roma in the UEFA Cup Quater Final.

Value - £4M

I don't think we can safely say that based on this. It's almost certainly much tougher for the physical player to break in at Chelsea than it would have been at Everton, so he's had less chance to show his stuff.

If you were going to really test this, i think you would need separate games for each of the players so you could put each one on the same team with the same chances at getting into the team.

Hmmmm...

If you were really going to test this, you'd do it with each of the three a couple dozen times, then normalize the results, then do it all again to confirm your experimental results within an acceptable margin of error.

But, since that's entirely out of the realm of patience and possibility, this anecdotal experiment will have to suffice.

Medievalist - Very few experiments reported on in these forums can be called 'conclusive' or even 'scientific'. But, that doesn't mean we can't glean some useful information from them. No one wants to spend the time it would take to run several dozen parallel, controlled experiments.

WolvesBestEvaManager - Would you mind providing periodic screenshot updates. I'm particularly interested in how each set of attributes affects development. KUTGW

Medievalist - Very few experiments reported on in these forums can be called 'conclusive' or even 'scientific'. But, that doesn't mean we can't glean some useful information from them. No one wants to spend the time it would take to run several dozen parallel, controlled experiments.

If you can point me to the part of my post where i said we couldn't learn anything from the experiment, i'd be grateful.

I just don't think it's safe to say that the Mental attributes are 'dominant' based on what we've seen so far. It's possible to argue that the AI, at least, values the Physical attributes most since that was the player bought by the largest-profile club.

Obviously wouldn't have bothered commenting at all if i didn't find the experiment interesting.

I didn't really mean to be a *****. I probably should have put some sort of winking emoticon in there for the sake of levity. But, unfortunately, I have an emoticon-triggered rash that develops upon my inclusion of one in any FM forum post.

And, of course, you're right. It would be interesting to see how they each performed in identical situations.

I'm sure WolvesBestEvaManager isn't making any unnecessarily broad claims with this experiment, but many posters on these forums actually do think they are performing real analytical experiments and reporting significant results without having even the vaguest understanding regarding the isolation of variables. So, actually, I appreciate your point about experimental viability. Sorry if my slightly sarcastic response rubbed you the wrong way.

Cheers.

Originally posted by WolvesBestEvaManager:

JANRUARY 2008 UPDATE

David Mental:

Astonishingly, he has attempted 113 tackles, and all of thoose tackles have been gives as fouls!

What more would you expect from a complete mental?

I would say it probably comes from high work rate, aggression, bravery, and a complete lack of tackling ability.

I'm disappointed that my boy Jack isn't getting any games. I'm sure if he ever plays he'll be dominant.

I would like to see an expansion of this experiment, where you take control of the 3 teams and select the players for every game.

There are several "free" mental attributes, more than the technical or physical ones (none AFAIKk) that do not take up ability which means Mr. Mental would have more available ability points when the attributes originally set as 1 were to be adjusted, hence his attributes are rounded to 12 where Technical's were 11 and Physical's were 5. David was the better player at the beginning. He can be expected to improve much better than the other guys as well since he will have a more positive attitude towards training etc. icon_smile.gif

Archived