Player sales.

Hello there, fellow FM'ers.

I'm currently trying something that I find interesting. I'll try to get Manchester United to be the most wealthy club in the world, and of course I'm trying to get rid of the insane debt the club have. While I'm doing this, I've gotten some tips to turn my transfer budget all to the left. Somehow that will make more money go to the debt.

Something I'm very interesting because of this, is how to get the most out of a player sale. There's two ways that I can think of when selling a player; First it's when you want to get rid of a player. You're most likely to offer him to clubs, and set an asking price for him. The other option, which isn't really an option, is when a club enquier about a player that you have. Then they ask how much you want for the player.

My question to you is if anyone know a way to calculate the asking price. I believe that there must be a way to do so. Logically, you should get more for a player when a team is interested in him, and ask you for a price, rather than getting asked for a price to pay.

There's also negotiating. When a club all of a sudden bid x numbers of millions for a player. I often turn the bid up a bit, but I never know how far to go before they reject their offer.

Does anyone got any information about this? And I'd also be very happy if you got some tips on how to get more money for the debt, and the board generally.

Thanks in advance, and post if it's anything I've missed out or if you have any question.

If im selling a player I always ask for double what he is worth + 50% of next transfer clause.

If they are interested they will either offer what you ask or somewhere inbetween what he's worth and what you are asking.

If they offer what you ask for straight away, it suggests that they are willing to pay more.

Is so, reject all bids and add 5m to the asking price and offer him out again. Its just trial and error.

Dont forget the 50% of next transfer clause though. Very important. Especially for youngsters

I understand that, but I'm looking after a formula to calculate this. I don't know if it's possible, but I'd like to know if anyone have tried this or something.

If I can't find a way to calculate it, I will do as you say here, trial and error. But hopefully there's an easy way to do this once it's known ;)

I think there are too many variables to work out a fail proof formula. Surely it depends on the reputation of the player your selling, the reputation of your club, the reputation of the buying club, the age of the player, the length remaining on the players contract, possibly the players form, the amount of money the buying club has to spend, the players the buying club already has in it's squad, etc.

Sounds almost impossible.

Age, CA, PA, contract length, reputation, club reputation, league reputation, player status (does he want to leave?), wages would probably all come into it. There are also more factors that add to this. It's probably nigh on impossible to work out the formula for this.

I generally decide what I think a player is worth and sell him at that price. If I can't get that price and I want rid, then obviously I keep lowering it until someone comes in with an offer.

I've just sold two players, one who wanted to leave and one who I didn't want anymore. I offered out the first for 40m (more than I knew I'd get) but got an offer of 31m which is around the fee I was expecting. The second was offered out for 30m and I got 24.5m for him which again, is around the price I thought I'd get (maybe a bit lower than I thought). This is always what I tend to do, offer for more than he is worth and if someone bites, great.

Archived