Japan i dont understand

I think they usually invite teams into it, but just read this from wiki

Both Japan and Mexico were invited to join the ten CONMEBOL nations in the tournament. Although following a proposal by UEFA about national teams competing in tournaments organised by different confederations, it was reported on November 23, 2009 that the two countries might not be able to take part in the 2011 Copa América.

As there are only 10 teams in South America, and 10 teams is not a very good number to play a cup with, they invite 2 teams to take part in the tournament to make it 3 groups of 4. Japan have been invited the Copa America before, and have been again for the 2011 tournament. I don't think they should be as they are not part of the Americas, but that's how its worked out in real life.

Seems a bit stupid, why not use the 10 South American teams, then USA and Mexico? Then you have 12 :)

i always thought mexico and the usa played in but i was being a bit thick i think, because they are north american teams

I've always wondered why Guyana,French Guiana or Suriname never take part in the Copa America and why they are part of CONCACAF in the first place?. French Guiana isn't really a country or has much of a team so Guyana and Suriname could make it 12.

I've always wondered why Guyana,French Guiana or Suriname never take part in the Copa America and why they are part of CONCACAF in the first place?. French Guiana isn't really a country or has much of a team so Guyana and Suriname could make it 12.

because they would be mince-meat

french Guyana cannot be part has he is full part of france and is an oversea region(legal and financial system as they are using EURO).former player from french Guyana are B.Lama ex french number one,Malouda come from there,Darcheville (exNott Forest)and the celtic striker Fortune and English player Cyrille Regis(few cap for england)

i suppose the other two are too poor and too small to be able to participate,

Shame Surinam have produce some of the finest footballer around but they ve played for Holland (Pierre van Hooijdonk, Frank Rijkaard, Ruud Gullit, Patrick Kluivert, Edgar Davids, Clarence Seedorf, Aron Winter, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Stanley Menzo, Ryan Babel, Ken Monkou, Edson Braafheid, Boy Waterman, Regi Blinker and Fabian Wilnis...not a bad team :D

Guyana is very small and very poor.Major sport is Cricket as they part of the west indies (Who are a major team) so football has little chance like most of England colony they prefer good old boring cricket

mexico got an invite fot last few copa american since early 90s ( probably until they win it and they get kick ;) )Japan got one few years ago .Usa is getting invite but sometime refuse it so you get costa rica or another one from concacaf

Shame Surinam have produce some of the finest footballer around but they ve played for Holland (Pierre van Hooijdonk, Frank Rijkaard, Ruud Gullit, Patrick Kluivert, Edgar Davids, Clarence Seedorf, Aron Winter, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Stanley Menzo, Ryan Babel, Ken Monkou, Edson Braafheid, Boy Waterman, Regi Blinker and Fabian Wilnis...not a bad team :D

Suriname did not produce any of these players Holland did. All of these players were either born and/or raised in Holland with some of them like Rijkaard being half Surinamese due to one of their parents being fully Dutch.

It would be good if they invited their former colonists Spain and Portugal, style of football is similar as well.

Japan isn't that ridiculous because there is a large Japanese population in Brazil, something like 2 or 3 million i think - highest outside of Japan.

Seems a bit stupid, why not use the 10 South American teams, then USA and Mexico? Then you have 12 :)

The USA and Mexico did play in the 2007 Copa. The problem, though, was that the tournament came just a few weeks after the Gold Cup (North America's championship) and MLS wasn't keen on losing their best US national players to back-to-back tournaments. So the US sent a "C" squad and promptly went out. The head of USSSF has already stated that he wouldn't accept an invitation to the 2011 tourny.

While I was testing some South American leagues and cups I suddenly noticed Canada in the Copa America ... I kept checking the Copa evey test game afterwards and it never happened again, pretty cool tbh.

Canadian league was never loaded, USA was, and all players from North and South America were loaded.

Those countries are Caribbean culturally and in pretty much every other way, therefore come under CONCACAF.

Archived