How to beat the big teams?

Hey,

I'm manager of Leeds, currently in the fourth season (2012/13), mid-way through my second season in the division (Used the editor to update the leagues before-hand, so we started in the Championship).

My problem is, whenever we play ANY of the big teams (Tottenham (three times champions), Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City), we not only lose, but we play terrible, barely create any chances, defend poorly, etc.

My record so far is a measly 7 points from 21 encounters in two seasons. Three draws and a win (against a reserve Arsenal team) first season, a draw second. Lost all 8 of 9 games so far this season, 1 draw. My team is pretty decent - we normally out play 12 of the remaining 14 teams (with Everton and Villa a bit tougher), and win more often than not. However because of our abysmal form against the top sides, mid-table is the best we can hope for.

No stupid advice, like buy better players, bla, bla. We have some real quality players and can outplay almost everyone else, but against the big teams, we just don't turn up. Is it poor Important Matches stat? Do these count as an important match? What about team-talks? I've tried No Pressure, For The Fans, You Can Win, all with the same effect.

I'm aware that these are the best teams, that they're meant to be hard. I'm not expecting some formula to win every game or even any game. I just want to know what I can do to make my players turn up and actually give it a go, create a few chances and maybe cause them a few problems, rather than just rolling over every time.

Thanks, and sorry for the beast post. :)

Obviously the problem is in your player's heads.

Use the press conference to take as much pressure off them as possible. Then you do the 'no pressure' team talk. Use a narrow and slow tactic. If your players aren't well motivated going into the game: you are going to lose. Your best bet then would be to just park the bus.

yeah whs.

take the pressure off always if your the underdog, slight underdog i find 'we can win this' works well and 'wish luck' can work when a big underdog also, but i mainly stick to pressures off.

i have on occasion used 'i expect a win' when ive been against a top team and im at home vying for a top 3 place in the league against them. also works when your the fav too.

Cheers for this, will try that out next time round.

One problem is that both seasons, I have managed to get a terrible fixture list, having to play the six teams in two groups of three. This season we had Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea on the 23rd, 26th and 28th. Ouch. Doesn't help confidence by the second or third game.

Cheers for this, will try that out next time round.

One problem is that both seasons, I have managed to get a terrible fixture list, having to play the six teams in two groups of three. This season we had Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea on the 23rd, 26th and 28th. Ouch. Doesn't help confidence by the second or third game.

You know who you should have asked don't ya ;)

(#No, not me! Aff over at OTFII. How come you're never over there?)

Other than mentality, tactics really matter. I've had lots of surprise victories come from either a sheer tactical superiority or truly "I give up and hope for the best with my instincts" gambles. Doesn't happen a lot though, although the higher your players' morale the more the chances. Additionally, tactical sides like Greece and Swiss in this World Cup have been inspiring me in FM. Argentina vs Greece was great :D

Cheers for the help guys. Have used the "No Pressure" tactic at the start of games and, despite two close defeats (1-0 to Arsenal, 2-1 to Liverpool) we had similar possession and more (much more against Liverpool) chances. Next game we faces Tottenham, twice came from behind, leaving it at 2-2 at HT. I used to "No Pressure" talk again and we went on to win 4-3.

Thank you very much, performances have improved a LOT, we're no longer rolling over and have finally beaten one of the big teams. The hardest of the lot, considering Spurs have won the league every time so far and are 6 points clear at the top this season.

Archived