2024, and team stops scoring. Help!

Hi,

So I'm in the Premiership with Forest Green, who I've managed from the start. It's 2024, and through all the seasons I've consistently used a 4-1-3-2 formation, with a DMC, three MCs and two STs. My team plays predominantly short passing with lots of creative freedom at a normal tempo. I play narrow. At the moment I'm using the DMC as a deep lying playmaker, the two wide MCs as box to boxers, the middle MC as either advanced playmaker or attacking central midfielder. One of the STs is deep lying, the other advanced.

The database is unedited. The majority of my team is 2.5-3 stars according to my asst manager, with a couple of real quality players - great keeper, great right back, v good DMC.

I've finished 2nd, 6th, 5th and 8th in my last four seasons in the Prem, with few real tactical changes. My goals scored/conceded for each season has been 58/29, 59/35, 46/34, 44/33.

You can see that in the last two seasons I scored significantly fewer goals, whilst retaining a similar defensive record. I haven't made any significant tactical changes to cause this. Any tinkering around the edges I've made to try and freshen things up (changing passing style, width, tempo etc) hasn't really had much effect.

This season, however, the problem has become even more pronounced. I only added two players in the summer, so no major squad upheaval. I am halfway through the season, having played 19 games, and yet I've only managed to score 12 goals! I've conceded 10. I'm creating chances - I probably average 15 shots a game, roughly 5 on target, 5 off, 5 blocked. There have been home games I'm expected to win where I've flooded shots in - 25, 12 on target, 3 clear cut chances and still no goals.

They just won't score. In recent games, there have been very few clear cut chances either. No scoring, no real creating.

Any ideas? Thanks.

AI gets an immunity to your tactics quite often

the way to fool that is just making some obvious changes but not significant enough to change your overall tactical orientation, for example: move one of your ML to AML , make one of your MC to DMC etc.

Or, start off with any tactics thats greatly different to your tactics right now , say if your current tactics is 4-1-3-2, start a match with 3-5-2 , and then change to your old 4-1-3-2 as soon as the match kicks off.

Hope that helps, good luck

Archived