ram and cores- how many and how much?

right guys sorry if this is in the wrong section but not really a fault or error so thought general would be better.

can anyone give a definite answer as to how much ram the FM2010 application can address? is the application large address aware? and is there any plans to offer fm2011 with a 64 bit version so we can take advantage of masses of ram :)

also whats the situation with fm2010 and cores both real and logical can the application make use of logical cores ie 4+4 on the i7's etc?

Well, I'm presently playing FM10 with the 3rd patch on Vista x64 and the game only ever uses ~1GB of RAM at the most, even though there's plenty more available (about 2GB used in total and 2GB free).

There is a definite increase of performance with a multi-core cpu, but the results were a bit disappointing, when I tested them recently. The difference between FM10 using a single core (the other three deactivated in the task manager) and all four cores of my Phenom II x4 940 makes a performance improvement of about 35-40% (which is a value you'd usually expect from a dual-core capable game). While I haven't done any in-depth benchmarks, I suspect that FM can use a second core for a speed improvement, but won't benefit from more and that would count for logical cores as well - that is also supported by the task manager which shows that fm.exe only uses 25-40% cpu load on a quad core.

I'm not very well read in this forum, so there may be some further benchmarks that either support my suggestion or will refute it. There may also be a configuration issue that keeps me from using all four of my cpu's cores better, but the only thing I've ever noticed in that direction is the "threading" option in the game's preferences, which is of course activated.

edit: Just to be clear about one thing that Neji mentioned in his post: a normal Windows 32 bit process can only use 2GB of RAM or 3GB if certain conditions are met - both the installed Windows must have activated 4GB tuning which can be done in the boot.ini file and the application must have the largeadresshardware handler activated prior to compilation. The upper limit of 3GB is valid for any 32bit operating system, which has a limited address space of 4GB. Using the activated largeadresshardware handler in a 32 bit application on a 64 bit system will then allow the application to use up to 4GB of memory.

From this thread:

The answer is not that well.

I've been testing various setup's on a 980x for the last week and all 12 cores are only really used when processing full detail matches.

During normal day to day processing FM appears to mainly use three or four cores.

My current setup that seems to run pretty quick (less than 15 seconds each continue) is all leagues, default detail level and a large database with all current international players retained.

Seems it only uses a limited abmount of cores. However this allows you to multitask very nicely.

Archived