Transfer Negotiations FM11 Idea

I think that the one thing in particular that would make the game alot better and more realistic for me, would be more sophisticated transfer negotiations.

At the minute, it feels abit like 'texting' other managers with your bid, waiting a few days for a reply of yes/no or a ridiculously high asking price. Then if you haggle, sometimes, they just reject it altogether. :(

But...IRL the manager and chairman will fly out to other countries to meet the board to discuss the transfer. If these are big deals or close to the end of the transfer window, then the talks can often go on long into the night or even morning. It's also not just the fee that is talked about. Loaning a player/s from the 'buying club' to the 'selling club' to help compensate the loss of an important player. Add-on clauses are common now aswell, things like money for specific trophies over the life of his proposed contract. I know some clauses are available atm, but I never find the AI ask for any, other than a percentage of the profit of his next transfer.

So, maybe a press conference type of thing for transfers would be good, not for all transfers, but for important ones after a bid has been rejected. Like a "Request Summit Talks" option to try to thrash out a deal.

What do you guys think?

love it, anything that makes transfers more realistic is welcome. at the moment its barely more sophisticated than buying someone on FIFA's ultimate team. ok you can go into unsettling a player and things but i think its a must that in the near future, agents have to play a massive part. Everything is done through agents now, and how you build relationships with them would be important. this would build on what you said about summit talks, you could hire an agent to do them for you, or take part yourself. obviously an agent would come with a fee. all adding to the realism. I think the system should also at some point involve talking with your chairman about potential targets as well. maybe in the summer, discussing players you feel need to be released and positions to be strengthend. anything to make it feel like you acheived something by signing someone. at the moment its all about throwing money at the selling club

I think the best thing to do in negotiations would be if you buy a young player you agree to loan him back to the selling club until the end of the season or something.

You can still do this by changing the date of the transfer to the end of season.

I liked the first refusal option that used to be in the game.

You can still do this by changing the date of the transfer to the end of season.

I liked the first refusal option that used to be in the game.

The AI doesn't seem to recognise this though, its just more of personal decision of when you want him rather than encouraging the AI to accept the bid :(

yup agree the tranfer system needs a major overhaul as its totally unrealistic agents need to be introduced both in terms of the transfers but in day to day dealing with the players too ie agents will stick their nose in tout players around to you and other managers handle contract negotiations etc etc

The papers piping up with stories about players I've never even looked at annoys me as it is. Too much agent interference would make the game tedious imo. Unless there was an option to turn it off of course.

Something I thought of earlier after posting relates a bit more to player contracts, but I'll say it anyway. The option to have a clauses for an extra year if targets are met, things like games played, goals scored etc. You hear about it a lot irl, especially with older players.

What would also be better in terms of transfer negotiations would be that when you have a bid accepted for the player and you then offer the player a contract, if you could tell the player of your personal ambition for the club which for example would give you the same options as when you start a new season where you tell the chairman your season expectations (Survive relegation, Mid-table Finish, Top-half finish, Continental competition qualification etc).. As well as the role you would require them to play (Youngster, Hot Prospect, Backup, Rotation etc). Also the agent will not reveal how much a player wants per week until the ambition of the club matches or exceeds the ambition of the player.

What would also be better in terms of transfer negotiations would be that when you have a bid accepted for the player and you then offer the player a contract, if you could tell the player of your personal ambition for the club which for example would give you the same options as when you start a new season where you tell the chairman your season expectations (Survive relegation, Mid-table Finish, Top-half finish, Continental competition qualification etc).. As well as the role you would require them to play (Youngster, Hot Prospect, Backup, Rotation etc). Also the agent will not reveal how much a player wants per week until the ambition of the club matches or exceeds the ambition of the player.

I do this myself when I hold my own press conferences (talking to myself lol) but it would be cool to have in the game :thup:

Problem is that FM/CM has had the transfer system has been the core appear for so many people for so many years. I'd like it changed to make it less hands on (more agent/target focused rather than the current set up), but many people wouldn't.

I don't know about that TBH, there are other manager sims available that are simple/r and easy, FM is about realism, with alot of hardcore followers and new gamers who find it different to anything else on the market. :thup:

They should nick the negotiations module out of the original Theme Park.

There's your hand and the other manager's hand (was the union rep in TP) on either side of the screen. As you bid and counter bid then the hands move closer or further apart. If you manage a handshake before the biscuits run out then you've got a deal.

They should nick the negotiations module out of the original Theme Park.

There's your hand and the other manager's hand (was the union rep in TP) on either side of the screen. As you bid and counter bid then the hands move closer or further apart. If you manage a handshake before the biscuits run out then you've got a deal.

Ground breaking idea...i 100% agree....Theres nothing better than seeing the hands meet over your side of the screen

I think we should be able to add performance related bonuses to contracts, like 'score 20 this season and we'll give you an extra 500k' or whatever. Would be great to offer this to a young, ambitious striker.

I don't know about that TBH, there are other manager sims available that are simple/r and easy, FM is about realism, with alot of hardcore followers and new gamers who find it different to anything else on the market. :thup:

I don't want to be easy, I'm questioning that at the higher levels it simply doesn't work like it does on FM. Transfers take weeks/months to arrange so careful planning is required (that's where the realism should lie). But fees rarely involve the manager these days, more often the fee is arranged and the manager has to sign it off if he thinks the player is worth it.

Having said that at the lower levels it more akin to the current setup, so I can't imagine it changing

It definaltly needs a major overhaul. especially at times when clubs sell players if you look most transfers especially the big names are all done in the summer usualy in july and very few major transfers are done in january the computer doesn't recognise this though. I have seen for example Dzeko sign anew deal in the summer only to move 6 months later in january irl this transfer may happen but not so soon after signing a new deal they might well agree to sell him in january but pretty sure they wouldn't allow him to move till the end of the season. I would like to see more realism in this way

And love your ideas on transfer negotiaitions to.

Personally what I would like to see is a system where you, the manager, just agrees a fee with the other club. How that fee is paid would then be decided by the attributes of the chairman. For instance a very ambitious chairman with low business accumen would be happy agreeing to lots of large 48 month deals whereas a more astute and circumspect chairman would be more cautious in the funding of transfers.

I think the current system where we can effectively bankrupt a club on our first day in the job at any club in the world is crazy. It would be good if the chairmen had a bit more personality.

Great idea!

I like the part when the chairman or football director travels to another country to seal a deal.

Also, here in Brazil there are many player with their rights being bought by third party companies.

For instance, club X wants to sign a player.

They approach the club but they only receive the percentage that they own.

That could be done the same way Serie A's co-ownership deals are done in the game.

Having agents sounds just as painful as press conferences. I hate minigames.

Personally what I would like to see is a system where you, the manager, just agrees a fee with the other club. How that fee is paid would then be decided by the attributes of the chairman. For instance a very ambitious chairman with low business accumen would be happy agreeing to lots of large 48 month deals whereas a more astute and circumspect chairman would be more cautious in the funding of transfers.

IRL the guy who comes up with the team tactics sure isn't the guy who negotiates a transfer fee.

How about a game where you say "I want a defender" and then your scouts scout defenders, tell you about it, your director of football dude negotiates a transfer, and if you're well-liked you still get to press 'accept' - otherwise you have to make do with the player you are given, even against your will. Yeah.

Also, here in Brazil there are many player with their rights being bought by third party companies.

For instance, club X wants to sign a player.

They approach the club but they only receive the percentage that they own.

That could be done the same way Serie A's co-ownership deals are done in the game.

And then Tevez/Mascherano come to England and all hell breaks loose and West Ham are deducted points.

Ground breaking idea...i 100% agree....Theres nothing better than seeing the hands meet over your side of the screen

I think this was on a Total Club Manager, might have been 2003, with Sir Bobby Robson on the front, fantastic game that was!

Archived