Accuracy of scouts

I've got an issue with how accurate scouts are in FM.

I've used FMRTE to find a youth player who is currently mince, but has the ability to be a superstar (PA in the 180s) even though his CA is 66.

I've scouted him with my scout and he said he basically had no potential.

I then edited my scout so that he was 200/200 and 20/20 for CA/PA and JPCA/JPPA then rescouted the same player.

Again, he said that he would not be very good in the future, but the report was marginally better than the initial report.

If you have the greatest scout in the world and they can't tell that a player has the potental to be a superstar (the player has a huge CA/PA gap currently), how can people rely on scouting to find future superstars?

This basically negates the use of scouting for future talent.

Scouts cant see PA, if they did, scouting would be ridiculously easy.

They can, otherwise they couldn't make any judgments on player potential.

Atill, the huge gap in this case may mean that the player has no chance of reaching his potential anyway. At the same time the gap may mislead any great scout in his judgment on the potential.

Maybe also mental attributes are taken into account, I don't know. A player with low professionalism will develop worse than one with a high figure there. Maybe that's taken into account too.

Just tested ths myself. Searched for regen of up to 18 years with a 185+ potential and then scouted them all with my top-class scouts. Their reports had very mixed results.

Scouts can only see a rough picture of CA and PPA. I'm fairly certain they can't see actual PA at all.

In that case, how can you scout for half decent youth players with a low CA and high PA? From what you've said you can't.

I'm not looking for an argument, just trying to understand how to find promising players for the future as the team i go (Rangers) don't have any money and realistically have to at least compete in the Champions League groups every year.

Finding players for the future is my only way of doing this.

In that case, how can you scout for half decent youth players with a low CA and high PA? From what you've said you can't.

I'm not looking for an argument, just trying to understand how to find promising players for the future as the team i go (Rangers) don't have any money and realistically have to at least compete in the Champions League groups every year.

Finding players for the future is my only way of doing this.

Well you use your scouts and you sign those that look to have potential.

You then develop them and they either succeed or they reach their limit and you sell them.

I don't know the exact figures but in RL only a fraction of youngsters that are developed by a club actual go on to be first team players and the higher up the pyramid you are the less likely it is to happen.

EDIT

For every player you bring through into the first team I would expect at least another 10-15 to be sold/released.

100 points is about the most gain I've ever seen a 16yr old regen accumulate over thier career, before it starts to decline due to aging.

Injury, poor Player Personality types and lack of matchtime from 16-21 all seriously eat into the available scope for improvement.

a 50-70 point difference is normally always achievable for them usually.

[edit]

Scouts even with perfect skills, get it wrong sometimes.

It's intentional, and quite realistic, as the youth scouting process involves watching a stroppy teenager lumping the ball about and guestimating how far they are likely to progress within the tiered world of football.

ps

I bolded the important bits.

Isn't this just completely realistic though? Every young player signed is a gamble and few of these "gambles" work out as most players end up being released or going down the footballing ladder.

This. And as others have said, a player with such low CA will never reach his potential. Should have worked harder when he was a kid!

Archived