Did the new Premier League restrictions sneak up anyone else?

After getting a quad in my first season as Liverpool manager and buying up a lot of good players I find out I can only register a certain number of players with 8 of them being home-grown and end up painting myself into a corner.

I didn't anticipate this and I only found out after I bought all these players. Gabriel Silva is coming along nicely, Quagliarella has been good to me so far and I have a bunch of prospects to build up later.

I'll probably try to mod out that restriction and start a new game, sad to lose this one though.

As long as you sign some under 21s, I don't think this is really an issue. Do you only sign older players?

You can register up to 24 or 25 over 21s -- don't know why you would need more than 25 veterans on a squad. Under 21s, meanwhile, can play whether they are registered or not, so you can have as many of them as you like.

As long as you sign some under 21s, I don't think this is really an issue. Do you only sign older players?

You can register up to 24 or 25 over 21s -- don't know why you would need more than 25 veterans on a squad. Under 21s, meanwhile, can play whether they are registered or not, so you can have as many of them as you like.

the only worrie i have with the 20 year olds are them turning 21 mid season .. then they cannot play

the only worrie i have with the 20 year olds are them turning 21 mid season .. then they cannot play

Not an issue, the rules state they do not need to be registered if they are under 2 by a date (in August I think) at the start of the season. So as long as they meet that rule you are fine.

After getting a quad in my first season as Liverpool manager and buying up a lot of good players I find out I can only register a certain number of players with 8 of them being home-grown and end up painting myself into a corner.

I didn't anticipate this and I only found out after I bought all these players. Gabriel Silva is coming along nicely, Quagliarella has been good to me so far and I have a bunch of prospects to build up later.

I'll probably try to mod out that restriction and start a new game, sad to lose this one though.

You receive a message about that in advance. Reading this you should know what not to do in the transfer market in summer 2010...

i cant believe people need more than 25 players over the age of 21??? if you say play 4-4-2 then a 25 man squad should consist of say 3 gks, 9 defs, 9 mids, 4 strikers. some of them would still rarely play and if you have no young lads coming through then your in a bit of bother to be honest

no, it didn't catch me out because I saw a thread on here about it before I started my save and then I edited it out because it's a **** rule.

as for this:

i cant believe people need more than 25 players over the age of 21??? if you say play 4-4-2 then a 25 man squad should consist of say 3 gks, 9 defs, 9 mids, 4 strikers. some of them would still rarely play and if you have no young lads coming through then your in a bit of bother to be honest

The thing is, some of us just like having big squads, ok?

personally I don't think any squad of mine will ever break the rules but I will always edit the rules out before I start a new game because I'm against them irl to the extent that I would actually lament my favourite team reaching the prem (not likely, being a Sheff Wednesday fan but I can dream that I would have the chance to lament our promotion).

no, it didn't catch me out because I saw a thread on here about it before I started my save and then I edited it out because it's a **** rule.

as for this:

The thing is, some of us just like having big squads, ok?

personally I don't think any squad of mine will ever break the rules but I will always edit the rules out before I start a new game because I'm against them irl to the extent that I would lament my favourite team reaching the prem (not likely, being a Sheff Wednesday fan but I can dream that I would have the chance to lament our promotion).

Whats the point of editing it out?

Can you even do that?

Basically what you are saying is just because you don't it its rubbish :rolleyes:

yeah you can edit it out by adding new nation rules

and no i'm not saying that it's rubbish cause i don't like it i'm saying it's rubbish because it's unfit for purpose and a pointless detrement to what was the best league in the world. :mad:

you may not like that i edit it out but look, I have an objection to the rule and this is my way of rebelling. i know it's not going to change anything but it ain't hurting you so don't get uptight about it. ;):p

actually this rule is the lesser of two evils cause if it didn't exist FIFA would still be trying to implement the 6+5 rule which sucks even worse, but that's like saying HIV is the lesser of two evils compared to AIDS - it's absolutely no consolation at all

yeah you can edit it out by adding new nation rules

and no i'm not saying that it's rubbish cause i don't like it i'm saying it's rubbish because it's unfit for purpose and a pointless detrement to what was the best league in the world. :mad:

you may not like that i edit it out but look, I have an objection to the rule and this is my way of rebelling. i know it's not going to change anything but it ain't hurting you so don't get uptight about it. ;):p

actually this rule is the lesser of two evils cause if it didn't exist FIFA would still be trying to implement the 6+5 rule which sucks even worse, but that's like saying HIV is the lesser of two evils compared to AIDS - it's absolutely no consolation at all

So basically the way you see it is that the premier league should just allow teams to have a squad of 25 foreign players. That would be detrimental to the England National team etc. The rules are being put in place and we have to live with them. At least the premier league are not insisting on any amount of foreign players on the field.

The rule can only be good for the state of english football in the long run as it will force teams to look to their youth teams for new stars to come through A LA Man Utd in the 90's.

So basically the way you see it is that the premier league should just allow teams to have a squad of 25 foreign players. That would be detrimental to the England National team etc. The rules are being put in place and we have to live with them. At least the premier league are not insisting on any amount of foreign players on the field.

The rule can only be good for the state of english football in the long run as it will force teams to look to their youth teams for new stars to come through A LA Man Utd in the 90's.

This rule actually doesn't stop you naming 25 foreign players, cause it's a home-grown rule not a nationality rule and as such it does not incentivise having english players in the squad and therfore will have no effect on the England team other than meaning that any english players in premier league's youth teams will be released once they reach 21 unless they are of a high standard. which is no different to what happened before these rules: if you ain't of a high standard you won't make it and if you are you will.

Yes you'll have to look to youth but not english youth.

Steven Gerrard would always have made it through Liverpool's Youth system to make it big, but if it was between him and Leo Messi (imagining they were both turning 21 and at the same team at the same time) as to who got your last squad place, you'd end up losing some talent. Supposing you chose to keep the foreign but home-grown player (Messi in my scenario), the English player (Stevie G) would move to a less restricted league (Serie A or Ligue 1, maybe) and would still make the English national team and there would actually be less talent in the Prem. And same if it was the other way round, Messi leaves and this results in detrement to squad and league.

This has nothing to do with the National team (and if it did - who gives a monkey's? no-one actually supports their nation, you support a club), what it is for is to detriment the premier league and spread the talent more evenly across Europe.

This may have been officially proposed and passed by the Premier League but you can bet it had a lot of UEFA input and pushing. There are better ways of re-distributing the footballing talent than this.

EDIT: it's not the Home-Grown aspect i object to, it's fine if that's what people want then cool but i object to the squad size limit, the home-grown quota should be proportional. (and since it seems to bug you that i edit stuff i will mention that i don't completely de-regulate the Prem. I always add home-grown rules on FM when i take out the original version of this rule, of course i can't set proportional limits as i suggest for IRL but i do set quite strict regulations)

look, you like the rule or are neutral, i dislike it. I play FM my way, you play it your way: what exactly is the problem?

This has nothing to do with the National team (and if it did - who gives a monkey's? no-one actually supports their nation, you support a club), what it is for is to detriment the premier league and spread the talent more evenly across Europe.

This may have been officially proposed and passed by the Premier League but you can bet it had a lot of UEFA input and pushing. There are better ways of re-distributing the footballing talent than this.]QUOTE]

The national team is important and the EPL should wake up to this. Look at the excitement of the World Cup?! Without national teams we wouldn't have the opportunity to laugh at the French humiliating themselves would we?

As for the UEFA input bit I think you'll find that Scudamore and his evil flunkys brought this rule in to stop UEFA and FIFA meddling.

The national team is important and the EPL should wake up to this. Look at the excitement of the World Cup?! Without national teams we wouldn't have the opportunity to laugh at the French humiliating themselves would we?

:thup:

i got caught in my first save but had enough HG players to cover, but since then i have only bought a limited number of first teamers in the first season after checking HG numbers, and then i bring in players 18 or younger to give them time to become HG at my club

As for the UEFA input bit I think you'll find that Scudamore and his evil flunkys brought this rule in to stop UEFA and FIFA meddling.

yeah, agree. that's what i was saying about lesser of two evils.

but i still think this could have been done more intelligently.

I guess the problem was more related to the need for 8 out of those to be home-grown in England...

Yep. I have a lot of young, upcoming talent from other countries and want to play them when I can but I can't because of this rule.

Liverpool have its share of potential talent, but I need performers *now*, not in 5 years.

The worst bit of it is that I'm just going to have to start over from 2009 again with an eye for homegrown players.

Yep. I have a lot of young, upcoming talent from other countries and want to play them when I can but I can't because of this rule.

Liverpool have its share of potential talent, but I need performers *now*, not in 5 years.

The worst bit of it is that I'm just going to have to start over from 2009 again with an eye for homegrown players.

If they are 21 or under at the start of the season, they don't need to be registered for you to be able to play them.

Archived