FM 10: When to start playing a youngster or a newgen in first team?

Hello,

I play at man utd currently and would ask you a question that's been annoying me for a few years.

I read in some tutorials that if you start playing your youngster at an early age, you will burst him out. In other words, he will get to much exhaustion and will never develop his true potential.

But then, I see people playing their youngsters as first team regulars at the age of 17 or 18.

So, can you please tell me at what age should I start including my youngsters in first team and at what age should they get a first team player status ?

Thank you, really appriciate it

I normally have a few younger guys on the bench. I hav Fabio and Sanogo on the bench for Man Utd and give them some game time sometimes. I'd probably suggest to give them some first team time each season.

Can you be more specific, around how many games at which age?

Thanks

Age - whenever they're ready for first team football.

Games - however many they're either needed in plus where a victory is either not important or almost guaranteed.

Can you not understand that this will be different for every player and every team?

I can understand that, but what I dont understand is quantity, tht's why I asked this question in first place. But thanks for helping

16 = play in reserves getting tutored and maybe the odd first team appearance in cup games

17-18 = loan out to a team with top facilities where he'll get first team action

18 onwards = play as much as possible in the first team or loan out if not possible

first team games is the best way to develop a young player but yeah, dont overdo it

it depends on each player and how good they are..

for example i have an 18 year old striker atm who is exceptionally good and is starting for me on a regular basis.

but usually i tutor/let them play reserves and youth until 18, whilst giving them first team appearances in unneeded games or sub appearances. from 18 i'll usually try loan them out, with the emphasis being on whether they'll be a first team player. after the loan if they're good enough they'll stay and play, if not, i'll sell them or loan them out again.

tutoring is a massive part of development and i make sure to tutor all my good young players. little sub appearances aren't that helpful IMO and it's better to give them serious time if you're willing to play them in the first team. i have had a lot of youth players surprise me immensely with performances in risky situations (one of them had to fill in at a cup final and ended up getting a 9.2 avg rating, he was 17) so having some faith is important.

14-17 years old= Under 18s/ Reserves (dont loan cuz they wont play)

17-18 years old= First team/ Reserves (dont loan cuz they wont play)

18-20 years old= First team/ Reserves (ready for loan)

20+= Sell! kidding

Well they'll play if the offers you get say "will be a valuable member of the first team."

That + good training facilities + the level I want the player to get experience at = Accepted loan

If that doesn't come together, the kid doesn't go out on loan. That simple, really.

Well they'll play if the offers you get say "will be a valuable member of the first team."

That + good training facilities + the level I want the player to get experience at = Accepted loan

If that doesn't come together, the kid doesn't go out on loan. That simple, really.

What facilities do you look for when loaning players out? on my united game i have Jonjo Shelvey whos just finished being tutored and so i wanna loan him out, ive got aberdeen as a feeder,they have average training facilities but they play at SPL level, would this be better than a championship club with good facilities?

What facilities do you look for when loaning players out? on my united game i have Jonjo Shelvey whos just finished being tutored and so i wanna loan him out, ive got aberdeen as a feeder,they have average training facilities but they play at SPL level, would this be better than a championship club with good facilities?

To be fair I haven't actually tested the effects of a season of Average Facility training versus say, Good or Excellent. As far as which league to send them to, the SPL has a reputation of 13 and the Championship has one of 12.

In a case like that, unless there is a vast difference in training facilities, I'd go for the higher competition.

Though both should say "valuable member of first team."

That's why I find loaning to affiliates problematic. You can't really KNOW how your affiliate will use them because they don't always send you a letter telling you how they will. And when you send them before the season, it doesn't always update their squad status - it always says "Used in a squad rotation."

i always try and get money on loan for my players as well..

for example one of my really gun regens (who was 18 at the time) was loaned out for 3m + 100% wages for 6 months (the rest of the season, this was at january) as a first team player. even though he was good enough to start for me i loaned him out just for the cash, and the guaranteed experience. i've also loaned out players (goalkeepers) as backup to top teams. an example would be my regen keeper who wasn't really near first team was loaned out for 300k to liverpool who had better training facilities, despite him only getting about 6-8 games the whole season.

loaning is also a great way to increase player value, prime example is again from a regen i had who was valued at 16k despite having exceptionally good stats. i loaned him out to catania and he excelled there, ending up coming back to me worth 6m.

This is a 'how long is a piece of string' question mate.

Play them if you can and if they are good enough is the only real answer. Fabregas was 16 on his debut for Arsenal, Lukaku is 16 for Liege (is it Liege?) and F Adu, well, we all know he has been around forever...

14-17 years old= Under 18s/ Reserves (dont loan cuz they wont play)

17-18 years old= First team/ Reserves (dont loan cuz they wont play)

18-20 years old= First team/ Reserves (ready for loan)

20+= Sell! kidding

This is the only true answer for now, thanks man

Also, why is this thread in PC/MAC subforum, shouldn't it be in good player/team guides?

Can moderator answer this?

Thanks

I always go by the old saying "if you're good enough, you're old enough". If you have an exceptional young player who can clearly make a difference in your team, then play him by all means. In my own current career, with Cordoba, I had an 18 year old (regen) striker as a starter, the entire last season. He ended up being my top scorer and led us to the La Liga title, while on the way developing like like a mad man.

Young players need playing time the most in order to develop their skills. Tutoring comes second. A good tutor can really help a youngster develop some of his mental stats.

As soon as I think they're good enough for a place on the bench, which will be different for each player, they get a chance in a smaller game from the bench. If they play well they might start in a smaller game. I tend to loan players out till I think they're ready though.

Archived