Starting unemployed and............any achievements?

I've read quite a number of career stories here and there, but nearly 90-95% of the users start the game by immediately choosing great clubs.

In a game I always look for the 'close to real life' factor. I mean, I'ld love to coach AC Milan (my favourite team) but what's the fun of choosing them immediately? Surely none of us would wake up tomorrow and find himself leading a team in the Champions League!!!

I always start unemployed, choosing to play in England, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Holland, Germany, Greece and Turkey. I choose the full leagues of these countries, i.e. till the lowest divisions, and start my career.

Am I the only to do this? I'ld love reading some 'close to reality' stories. icon_cool.gif

I've read quite a number of career stories here and there, but nearly 90-95% of the users start the game by immediately choosing great clubs.

In a game I always look for the 'close to real life' factor. I mean, I'ld love to coach AC Milan (my favourite team) but what's the fun of choosing them immediately? Surely none of us would wake up tomorrow and find himself leading a team in the Champions League!!!

I always start unemployed, choosing to play in England, Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Holland, Germany, Greece and Turkey. I choose the full leagues of these countries, i.e. till the lowest divisions, and start my career.

Am I the only to do this? I'ld love reading some 'close to reality' stories. icon_cool.gif

I've recently got bored with my Liverpool game, and in the past when this has happened I've picked another team to manage, with the aim of doing as well as possible for that team.

But this time I've decided to start a game at the bottom with the aim of getting myself as high up the managerial food chain irrespective of how many times I have to switch clubs.

I've started unemployed route (with past experience of SUnday League). However I don't know I'm managing yet as it took so long for a job offer to come in that I left it on holiday and went to bed, only to find that my PC was switched off in the morning. I have a vague recollection of waking up in the night.... checking it..... seeing that I've been offered a job.... accepting it.... but I can't remember the team!!

Can't wait to get home tonight to find out who it is!

With a career game, you've got to commit to it and be ready for the long haul. Usually takes 5-10 seasons to start getting somewhere, and then another 5-10 to get to the 'big' teams, so 15 seasons from when you start, you csn reasonably expect to be in with a shout of the likes of (in current terms) Pompey, Bolton and Middlesbrough - assuming you've been successful with lower sides.

You might get lucky, as I once did, and find a (currently) 'big' team that has hit the skids and is willing to take a chance. If you can get them back up the divisions, you're obviously with a big club in a top division and other jobs might roll in - though of course you're already with a club you might want to stick with.

That's the thing that attracts me to the career 'mode': do I leave the side I've dragged from nowhere and take a chance? Or do I stick with the side I've been at for 3/4 seasons or so, and risk losing the dressing room and dropping like a stone?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nautilus:

Surely none of us would wake up tomorrow and find himself leading a team in the Champions League!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Avram Grant. As a Chelsea fan, I felt the need to mention this.

I prefer building a tiny club, or at least did on the older versions. Found it to be particularly challenging on FM08, what with all the bugs, compared to my favoured CM 99/00 and CM 01/02.

My best was starting as B 1913 who have now merged to form FC FYN. They were in the Third Division in Denmark. I signed a complete new first team, got them promoted, only lost on first day of season, after 2 further seasons got them into the First Division, spent two seasons struggling against relegation, managed to just escape, and then spent the next 10 seasons winning the league without fail, cup almost every year and chalked a champions league win in there too.

All with a ground 5000 in size.

My favourite achievement though was signing a striker on a free (Danish), and after him having scored roughly 90 goals in two seasons, selling him for £13 million to Valencia. I made his career, because he was a reserve at a mid-table side before that, bizarrely, because his vital striking stats were fantastic...

After 15 seasons, Liverpool offered me the job after their manager retired having won the league. It was actually the first time in the game I had been offered another position. I don't know whether this is because the board refused approaches or whether no-one thought they had a chance of me accepting. I accepted it after some deliberation. It would only be natural. But I hate Liverpool with a passion so I quit the game, it ruined it for me!

But yeah, there is my rise from nothingness to fame at a big club.

Ive just started this style of game be it 'Journeyman' or whatever you want to call it, and it is immensely more rewarding than just starting as Chelski and buying Messi for $60 million.

I got the job at Sint-Truiden, relegation certanties of Belgian Jupiler league 1 in the press, and guided them to 3rd, although 14 points behind Standard on top. I qualified for Europe for the first time in their history, was given a 2million quid transfer budget and have found some real gems, including Alexander Rondon and a couple of American internationals on the cheap. Its great, i intend to stay until ive won the Belgian cup and the league, and then look at a bigger job (was offered FC Twente but turned it down as want to win some **** with De Kanaries!)

Im in no hurry though...i feel like the hopes of this small club have been lifted by mtself and would feel like Ossie Ardiles if we won something.

I got a job at harrogate town (second bottom of conference south at time) and I've never had so much fun in my life.

I also find that when doing this you create a team. As there are not many fans and no media coverage it is easier to get rid of players you do not like and bring in your type of players.

I often start unemployed. In my last game in FM07, I started unemployed, then hooked on with Pegaso Real de Colima in Mexican First Division A. From there, I moved on to Torpedo Moscow, then FC Twente, then Hertha Berlin, and finally Inter Milan. I actually hesitated before buying FM2008 because I wasn't sure I was willing to leave the game in 07.

Think i should try this un-employed lark.I support chelsea, although never play them in the game,as i like to start in league 1,or the championship.Find starting in a top league no challenge,apart from one game with portsmouth where it was fun.

Yea i always like to start unemployed after ive got bored with my wolves game (which is who i start off with when i first buy the game) and ive got 16 countries with all leagues on and im really into it at the moment. Started off with Colima in the Mexican First Division A (religation candidates) but after three years nd no improvements on both the financial and facility front i decided to resign. now im unemployed again but since i have so many leagues im sure ill get another job soon.

I did this with fm07 and got offered the job for Queensland Roar in the A-League. Won the league twice and made the Asian Champions League. Had an ok showing, made it to the knockout stages. Problem was the salary cap in the competition so I lost some good players as they demanded more money and couldn't offered to give it to all of them.

Because of the performance last few seasons, board expectation was high and with players lost due to salary cap, performances were awful the season after. Got the sack and couldn't get another job until a part-time scottish club hired me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilaventi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nautilus:

Surely none of us would wake up tomorrow and find himself leading a team in the Champions League!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same Avram Grant who led his first managerial team to their highest league position for over 25 years, won a cup and league with Maccabi Tel Aviv, became the youngest ever manager of Israel and had them unbeaten in a qualifying group containing France and Switzerland? Not exactly the same thing really.

but nearly 90-95% of the users start the game by immediately choosing great clubs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where in the world do you get a mental statement like that from?

I started my current game unemployed with automatic experience.

To date my career has taken me from the lower reaches of Brazil, Italy and England all the way to the Serie B in Italy and the Championship in England.

Veranopolis (2007-2008) - Sacked

Sousa (2008-2009) - Resigned

Catanzaro (2009-2015) - Resigned

Suwon (2015-2016) - Resigned

Lewes (2016-2016) - Resigned

Cardiff (2016-2017) - Resigned

Nuorese (2017)

I've won 3 leagues (C2, C2 Super Cup and C1)

1 cup win (C1 Super Cup)

I've been relegated twice, both times in Brazil.

Games Played: 390

Won: 160

Drawn: 92

Lost: 138.

Wasn't enjoying life with Cardiff in the championship so left for a small team get the fealing I will be sacked soon. There is a longer more detailed thread about my career in the LLM forums.

I always start unemployed! And have made myself a mental-rule of accepting the first job offer that comes along - irrespective of the squad, finances, league position etc.

In the last 2 FM games, I've managed in Argentina, after starting unemployed, and I decided to manage there again on this version!

Got offered a job with 8 games left of the first season, at under-achieving Chacarita in the Second Division. I won all 8 of the remaining games that season, and had high hopes for next season.

The board wanted me promoted, despite offering me NO transfer budget, a tiny wage budget and only 20% transfer revenue. They then sold my best player - a rightback who was absolutely immense. I stuck with it though, with the board wanting me promoted and a media-prediction of 2nd the pressure was on, after about 10 games, I was 7th, and the got the sack.

The team I drew with to lose my job were Tigre, my next club! Despite a media prediction of 13th and being placed 2nd in the league, they sacked their manager! They offered me the job and I took it without thinking twice about it. With a transfer budget of £1 million, low expectation and a great squad, I was very happy.

I went on to win the league, going on a 23 match unbeaten streak, before being beaten on my last game of the season.

Currently 7th in the Premier Division this season after about half a dozen games. I'm really looking forward to seeing where my career leads me!

I started unemployed and auto prev experience.... first job was with Burghausen in German lower leagues which didn't go too well and ended up getting sacked.

Got back in with Burgos in Spain, got them promoted in my second season to Liga BBVA which I am currently in 4th place about half way through the season.

I'm currently enjoying a FM08 career that I started as unemployed with auto experience in.

My first job was in the Chinese Second Division with Nanchang. I spent two seasons getting them promoted. Then another two seasons helping them to challenge for the title.

I resigned from boredom and moved to America(RN) in the Brazilian league. After one quick season I left to become manager of League 1 QPR. Pretty fun game so far.

I am a little impatient - and due to getting on a bit and have a very demanding day job cannot put the hours in I used to.

Setting reputation to one of the highers I have found is a good middle ground. You can start unemployed and get a good(ish) job instead of starting at the bottom. My current game started at Kaiserslauten (Ger div 2) and then Middlesboro (relegated to Championship) and then Man United plus Ivory Coast. World Cup win in 2010 and CL in 2011 have been satisfying!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kain:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilaventi:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The same Avram Grant who led his first managerial team to their highest league position for over 25 years, won a cup and league with Maccabi Tel Aviv, became the youngest ever manager of Israel and had them unbeaten in a qualifying group containing France and Switzerland? Not exactly the same thing really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, he had a half decent start, but still a nobody on our terms.

Guest briebert

@Gilaventi - I agree completely. When they "Sacked" The Special One, I was thinking along the lines of Capello and remember screaming aloud when they announced Grant "Who in the hell?"

He has done OK for us, although with the players we have, I could probably garner a few draws.

Archived