Is there a manaul for the game?

I downloaded the game. I did not receive a manual at that time. Is there a manual for the game? Hopefully I can download it from somewhere. It would be nice to read about a topic before posting a dumb question or searching threads.

A link to the Online Manual is in the forum header, access to a digital copy of the paper manual will depend on where you downloaded the game from, if you are using Steam right clicking on the game in Steam normally gives you an option to read the manual if there is one.

Thanks shakeable, that guide was particularly helpful.

However, in the tactics team instructions section, the guide seemed to represent FM 2009 instead of FM 2010. In particular, I was hoping to gain an understanding of tactics/team-instruction/Starting-Strategy. I think I have a decent guess of what "Defensive", "Counter", "Standard", and "Attacking" would mean. However, I'm not so certain of what "Contain", "Control", and "Overload" would mean.

Can anyone please explain these to me? - OOPS Nevermind! I see descriptive text in the window below. Nice touch SI!

Overload is basically all out attack, throwing everything at your opponents and getting forward as often as possible.Your defense line will push up high, tempo will be quick, and width will go very wide.

I'm not the best at explaining these kind of things, so i hope that made a little sense. I'm sure others will help on "control" and "contain".

After studying the tactics options I think I understand what most of them mean. However, I don't understand the following (pardon me, but I'm an American basically learning football through FM and some on TV).

tactic/team-instructions/advanced/Play Offside.

So, if I say "Play Offside" "Yes", does that mean that my forwards will play in an offside position and hope to move back in time or find room or something?

- or - does "Play Offside" "Yes", mean that my defenders will push forward away from my goal, attempting to keep the strikers off-side and deter the attack?

As an interesting aside, I just realized, while familiarizing myself with FM 2010, that the entire time while I was playing FM 2009, I was going to the Opposition Position screen in the pre-game, and selecting the "Close Down - Always", "Tight Marking - Always", "Tackling - easy", "Weaker Foot" settings once before each game, thinking that one selection would apply to the entire opposition.

Well, just today, I realized that I was only setting those options for only the opposing goal tender. :eek: I didn't realize that those were instructions for individual opposing players whom I could select on the left of the screen and set for multiple opposing players.

Some small learning by mistake might make a big difference on the pitch in the future :rolleyes:

- or - does "Play Offside" "Yes", mean that my defenders will push forward away from my goal, attempting to keep the strikers off-side and deter the attack?

That is basically what offside means yes, your defense will try and make the opposition strikers be in an offside position.

And more specifically that they will hold a flat line rather than tracking every run that the opposition strikers make. This can have negative or positive outcome depending whether the strikers are mentally superior to the defenders or not. A pacy striker with half-decent off the ball and decisions attributes will usually find it easy to break the offside trap unless the defenders are absolutely superb at anticipation, positioning, decisions.

Archived