Transfer tactics for unappealing clubs?

I'm a consistently midtable Championship side looking for the extra class that can take me up, but almost every player better than what I have doesn't want to join, and the promising regens are all at the AAA clubs. How would you go about signing players in this situation?

I tend to look for out-of-contract aging stars in this situation, but you usually have to wait until they are actually freed by a club at the end of their contract - while they are still at a bigger club, they will expect to play for a higher club, and will demand more money, whereas, once they are released, they tend to be a bit more accepting of what you can offer them. Increasing club stature can be difficult at times, but a solid keeper, and a young, determined striker can drag the whole team up (which can then be replaced when the time comes).

Obviously there is no replacement for success...

I have found that dealing with tactics is one very good way to overachieve with mediocre players. That would tackle the problem from a different angle, but that's of course not what you are asking.

Who are you and how far are you into the game?

What I would suggest as general ideas is the following:

- Have a look at the players which are released by the big clubs on a free at the end of each season, especially the young and the ageing ones. Screen through the transfer history pages of the big clubs to identify who they have released. Often you will be able to find good players or prospects for your level among them who should, being unemployed, also be happy to join you.

- Players from more obscure nations will still see the CCC as a step up. Try and scout nations with good players and low reputation. Think of Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, South Africa, Romania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic.

- Look at the transfer rumours page for different leagues. Often you will find rumours about players who would be good signings for you. Depending on which leagues are loaded for instance rumours about Dutch clubs may reveal possible tarrgets for you.

- Make sure that you are aware of the regen generation dates of each nation. Immediately after they are generated for instance in Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scandinavia or Eastern Europe screen through the squads of the local top divison, identify the new regens and scout them.

- Same with international U21 and U19 squads. Talents from nations with a smaller reputation might be happy to join. Sort those squads by age to identify regens and scout them all.

- Make sure you can get a very good parent club. It can make you money and you'll have a better chance to get good loan players from there.

- Loan players are a good option anyway in your position.

- In general make sure that you build a good central axis on the pitch. If in doubt for which positions to invest in quality, invest there.

- Don't be shy to sell if a good offer comes in. If you think that your player will be a first team member at the other club, make sure you negotiate a bonus payment after 10 league appearances. Many clubs will be happy to agree on a significant bonus amount for that.

It all requires a bit of a hassle and the passion necessary to screen through so many squads and lists manually, but in the end a club in your position has to be smarter than the others and work harder than the others to outclass the other teams. It'll be worth it in the end. :thup::)

Great post thanks. I do try to look at more obscure countries but the damn work permit rule means it's quite difficult. Completely forget about the regen dates, so I'll try that. I'm Barnet, so I have Arsenal coming to play a preseason friendly every summer, plus I got Chelsea to be a parent club, however they very very rarely send anyone, and they're not first team quality.

Great post thanks. I do try to look at more obscure countries but the damn work permit rule means it's quite difficult. Completely forget about the regen dates, so I'll try that. I'm Barnet, so I have Arsenal coming to play a preseason friendly every summer, plus I got Chelsea to be a parent club, however they very very rarely send anyone, and they're not first team quality.

You can also approach them for youngsters. As your parent clubs they will be more likely to accept your loan bids too :)

You don't have to wait for them to send them, just get your scouts to do a Loan report on Chelsea, and see who might be available. Parent clubs are more likely to accept loan deals, even if they didn't initiate the loan offer.

I did actually forget about the U21 and U19 international squads, I've picked up quite a few decent players on frees just by browsing the european squads - even if they don't turn out to be world beaters, the fact they are getting caps means that you can usually get a bit more money for them a wee bit down the line.

Edit - beaten to it ;-)

In terms of WP problems, you'll don't have these when looking at Britain, the Eastern Central European nations or Austria/Switzerland. :thup:

In North Africa there should be a few international players of good quality who are happy to join a CCC side and still get a WP.

For a mid table Championship side I would look to the Swiss, Norwegian and Danish leagues, to the transfer list for good players that have fallen out of favour, to Eastern European and African national teams for good players at poor clubs that will gain a work permit

- Make sure that you are aware of the regen generation dates of each nation. Immediately after they are generated for instance in Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scandinavia or Eastern Europe screen through the squads of the local top divison, identify the new regens and scout them.

Some may view this as being on the boundary of cheating, but it's up to you how you play the game.

I'll back up the loan suggestion. A handful of good loans can easily be enough to get you out the Championship. I tend to check out the list of players available on loan in player search around the start of the new season (End of June, early July).

Archived