chairman option

chairman option  

184 members have voted

1. 1. chairman option

• yes for the people who would like the chairman option
    • no for the people who don't want that option

Loaded question- if it's an option then it doesn't hurt the people who don't want it.

Therefore, I cannot vote in this thread.

Actually this is an argument used a lot by those in the 'yes' camp.

However we all pay for the implementation (coding, testing etc) of such a feature in the cover price of the game. In addition, SI only have finite resources and so the implementation of the chairman option would have to be at the expense of other features being added or improved.

So I think it does harm those who don't want it (even as an option) as we'll be paying the same price but only getting a limited improvement on FM10.

http://beta.www.mousebreaker.com/games/footballtycoon/playgame

just play this football tycoon/be a chairman game, it's really quite fun even though it's limited to five seasons.

as for having be a chairman mode in the game, there has to be something because soo many people are asking for it, but it has to be done well and without detrementing people who don't want the option. Initially, I think the best way to get round this is to have a screen at the start of the game where you select what level of influence you have in the running of the club, which could range from something like Total Club Manager used to be right down to how FM is now. hopefully this would be the easiest thing to do and would cost the least money and divert the least time and effort from development of the management side of the game. Then, after all the other stuffs been worked out maybe SI should look at additional game modes, such as a chairman mode (or player-manager - just throwing it out there) but not until the hardcore fans are satisfied with the main feature of the game.

A lot of critics will say that anyone who wants a game where you have this much power should buy FIFA manager but FM is easily the best game around and no-one really wants FIFA, do they? it sucks and only SI could really get this to work.

personally i'd like a bit more influence with the board: I don't like having a new satdium built when i'm in control of teams such as Man U or Barca as i'm a big fan of their current stadiums. Plus the new ones tend to have dumb names.

and one last thing, where was the maybe option on the poll?

I don't think a chairman mode has much of a lifespan, it will get boring far too quickly.

What I would like is more interaction with the board. At the moment you can request to expand the stadium, the board reply and say you can't because of the council and then your only option is to give an ultimatum (which gets you sacked immediately) or ignore it. How about being able to suggest an alternative ie. "Hello board, since the council won't let us increase the stadium capacity, perhaps there is a possibility of building a new stadium?"

I know it's not realistic for a manager to have this influence, but more interaction with the board in this way would help in my opinion.

Loaded question- if it's an option then it doesn't hurt the people who don't want it.

Exactly what drmanley said. Something like this would take up a lot of time that could be spent on other features, so it does hurt the people that don't want it.

I don't think there should be a 'chairman mode' but I wouldn't strictly be against introducing features which the chairman would have control over. Or maybe a better way to handle that would be to do be able to make suggestions like we can for feeder clubs etc.

Currently, we have no control over the building of a new stadium, for example and IRL we wouldn't either. That's not to say I wouldn't like the option of putting the wheels in motion.

I would probally try a football chairman game, but to make it worthwhile it would have to be a full blown business sim, the amount of detail required to make it worth more than a few hours worth of play would need a whole new game.

If the mode is tacked onto a management game its going to be shallow and lacking in replayability once the novelty has worn off.

All I want, regarding this, is more interaction between the player and the board. Let them remain in control of these chairman aspects, though.

Spot on.

The biggest problem I find consistently with the board is that I get caught in a catch 22 regarding my stadium-

If you get a few quick promotions the stadium is too small so you dont make any money in your new division, but of course they wont expand it in general until you have a comfortable amount of money in the bank (with the exception of new stadiums). Was stuck in the Prem with an 8000 stadium breaking even as a result of this.

doesn't matter if 10,000 say yes and 1 person says no. Won't happen, it's not that sort of game. I can understand the desire, but think how quickly you'd get bored.

why would people get bored therw would be so much to do with this role god think about it.

All I want, regarding this, is more interaction between the player and the board. Let them remain in control of these chairman aspects, though.

Totally agree here. Maybe just a personal message or two say if the Board sell a player over your head etc it could explain why they did it.

it's Football Manager not Football Chairman, why buy a manager game to be the chairman

i do believe there should be more interation with them though. for example when you resign you actually have a list of options to say why you are leaving, (eg - selling players against your wishes)

Not true :thdn:

It would require SI to allocate serious amounts of coding time to the creation of that feature. As their coding time resources are naturally limited this coding time would have to be withdrawn from other improvements of the game.

Thus: FM with an option I don't use = a worse game than without it.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why some people are so vehemently against the chairman/business option?... And why some people keep yelling "it won't happen"?... How do you know that, and why are these folks so much against the business option?...

Note that the word "manager" is vague. It does not automatically translate as "coach", but leaves room for business decisions too. Actually, FM reflects this ambiguity, as it makes the mistake of mixing coaching with business decisions. In real life, coaches do *not* define players/staff hiring salaries nor termination compensation. These are two very different Departments in soccer business that do not mix like that, in real life.

To do justice to everyone, SI should provide three options:

- the current (and unrealistic) "hybrid" option

- a new, coach-only option

- a new, chairman-only option

FM is not perfect, and should improve by providing these three different options to players of all types and tastes.

Im nnot sure why people are against this.

It would be easy enough to develop using the stuff that is already in the game and would be an additional option. If you didnt want to play it you wouldnt have to. There are loads of people not on this forum that would love a chairman mode and SI should look into it.

clue is in the name of the game. i dont dislike the idea itself (well i do but thats not my point) but if you go down that route you detract from gameplay experience and development with non-manager related rubbish

I wonder why some people are so vehemently against the chairman/business option?... And why some people keep yelling "it won't happen"?... How do you know that, and why are these folks so much against the business option?...

Note that the word "manager" is vague. It does not automatically translate as "coach", but leaves room for business decisions too. Actually, FM reflects this ambiguity, as it makes the mistake of mixing coaching with business decisions. In real life, coaches do *not* define players/staff hiring salaries nor termination compensation. These are two very different Departments in soccer business that do not mix like that, in real life.

To do justice to everyone, SI should provide three options:

- the current (and unrealistic) "hybrid" option

- a new, coach-only option

- a new, chairman-only option

FM is not perfect, and should improve by providing these three different options to players of all types and tastes.

The fact that you call it soccer is not a good start. :confused:

The reason people are saying it will never happen, is that in many of the other chairman threads (there are at least 3 or 4 new ones a week) there is often a post from someone from SI, actually saying it is very unlikely to happen.

I would rather SI concentrated on the football management side of things, I wouldn't want this to be neglected so they can introduce a gimmicky chairman mode which would have no longevity.

It would be as pointless creating a game where you could be a steward, though that could be more of a fighting game.

This sounds good, you just get one camera angle facing you away from the pitch! :D

Archived