Friendlies?

Hi, I'm still new around these boards and just got the new patch to work with my game and with much free time, I'm going to give it a run. I was wondering, in terms of tactics and your players adapting to it, how many friendlies should you do without tiring your players out?

Much thanks!

i usually arrange at least 5 freindlies all about 5-7 days apart and substitute as many players as i can at half time.

This seems to work for me and ensures when the first match comes around they are match fit.

I follow the same preseason schedule every year. I play as Arsenal, btw.

July 15-20: Barnet or Boreham Wood. Arsenal plays these teams in their real life preseason.

July 21-July 30: I pretend to take my team to a training camp in another country. :p I have the team play three friendly games in this time period. Last year I took the team to Austria because that's where the real-life Arsenal go to, and this year I'm taking the team to Japan.

Weekend at the start of Aug/end of July: I host the Emirates Cup! I set up a preseason cup competition and invite the top teams. :D

Aug 5-10: I have one more friendly if I'm not playing in the FA Community Shield.

The players are match-fit by the time the first match comes up and they aren't tired out at all. In fact, only two-three days rest seems to get them back at 100% condition.

I let my assman arrange friendlies, then cancel the ones too close together, leaving 5-6, making sure the last one is a week before the first real game and against someone really easy.

My primary aim is to have everyone match fit, so I use lots of subs at first building towards my final XI in the last game.

Then I have a reserve team friendly 4 days later to get any stragglers fit.

Seems to work, but no good if you want to raise some pre-season cash.

TIP: If you're in the European qualifying rounds, check the schedule before you start or you could end up with four games in eight days, like I did once.

If I'm playing with small club, I try to get some big clubs to accept friendlies to get some money. The more fixtures the better. Something really easy for last friendly match to boost morale after I've been destroyed by the big clubs.

When playing big clubs, I always take a tour to U.S.A, China, Japan or anywhere I have a commercial link to boost merchandising. The higher the opponents rep the better. Usually I can fit 2 full tours in preseason. Also I always promote reserve/under 18:s guys to get more players so my first team doesnt get too tired.

Archived