Should I give it another chance?

Ok so really this is a silly question but before I go ahead and play FM 2010 again i'd like to ask peoples opinions on something...

I had been playing FM 2007 for years, I found it to be the most complete version and 2008 and 2009 never appealed to me. I played them but felt they didn't have the same charm that 2007 did.

I bought 2010 back in October, played it for about a week and got frustrated with it. The thing that frustrated me was the Match Engine. Defenders backed off too much, not just now and then but basically every match. My keeper used to be glued to his line aswell and never tried to close down the angle.

So I haven't played it since the start of November and I was wondering if the Match Engine problems have been fixed or improved since then? I know I should download the patches and play it for myself to see what I think but i'd rather ask for peoples opinions first before starting a new career.

So yeh... Let me know please :)

Ok so really this is a silly question but before I go ahead and play FM 2010 again i'd like to ask peoples opinions on something...

I had been playing FM 2007 for years, I found it to be the most complete version and 2008 and 2009 never appealed to me. I played them but felt they didn't have the same charm that 2007 did.

I bought 2010 back in October, played it for about a week and got frustrated with it. The thing that frustrated me was the Match Engine. Defenders backed off too much, not just now and then but basically every match. My keeper used to be glued to his line aswell and never tried to close down the angle.

So I haven't played it since the start of November and I was wondering if the Match Engine problems have been fixed or improved since then? I know I should download the patches and play it for myself to see what I think but i'd rather ask for peoples opinions first before starting a new career.

So yeh... Let me know please :)

Its not the ME, its your tactics.

Why are the defenders backing off?

Why is your keeper glued to his line?

Answer: Because thats you've instructed them to do.

Its difficult without seeing your tactics but your first port of call I would say should be mentality.

If you were using 3D it was far more likely that this was due to the overlay (i.e. the view) not getting the ME right. However download 10.3 and you'll find that the vast majority of the bugs are fixed, e.g. the 1v1 bug leading to the "superkeeper" bug, where with the right tactics you'd get way too many 1v1s ands in 10.2 a quick fix was put in raising keeper save chance for this situation, leading to the right goal amounts (compared to RL) but too many saves.

I can't compare directly to FM07 as I only had it on Xbox, but this is the most absorbing version I've played since CM 00/01 (my experience is patchy).

Its not the ME, its your tactics.

Why are the defenders backing off?

Why is your keeper glued to his line?

Answer: Because thats you've instructed them to do.

Its difficult without seeing your tactics but your first port of call I would say should be mentality.

Are you sure though? I'm sure before the game was patched it was the Match Engine flaws rather than tactics. I was telling the defenders to close down but they backed off a fair bit, obviously at times they made tackles but they backed off in silly areas when IRL even park players would have closed the opposition down. Also the keeper used to get stuck on his line when facing a 1v1 situation, even if his rushing out attribute was high. They have probably fixed it now though :)

Are you sure though? I'm sure before the game was patched it was the Match Engine flaws rather than tactics. I was telling the defenders to close down but they backed off a fair bit, obviously at times they made tackles but they backed off in silly areas when IRL even park players would have closed the opposition down. Also the keeper used to get stuck on his line when facing a 1v1 situation, even if his rushing out attribute was high. They have probably fixed it now though :)

Because their mentality was too low.

The more defensive you set the mentality the more a defender will back off and stay between the ball & the goal. The more attacking the mentality, the more he'll make challenges and 'attack' 50/50 balls. You need to find a balance between that & other orders.

Alternatively use the basic tactics creator which balances the orders much better.

PS I don't have any issues with it.

Lesson to learn - don't try to enjoy FM before patch 3. Sorry, SI, but that's reality. I never start my long term save before patch 3 is out.

But as long-time FM manager OP should have figured it out himself already.

So yes, if you haven't played since November, it's worth another chance.

Lesson to learn - don't try to enjoy FM before patch 3. Sorry, SI, but that's reality. I never start my long term save before patch 3 is out.

But as long-time FM manager OP should have figured it out himself already.

So yes, if you haven't played since November, it's worth another chance.

That made me smile as whilst I don't agree 100%, I think it's probably true. I am very happy with FM10 and love playing it.

That made me smile as whilst I don't agree 100%, I think it's probably true. I am very happy with FM10 and love playing it.

I always wait til January before I buy the game so I can the finished article.

Andy, were you on patch 10.1? Defending was pretty poor back then. 10.3 is like a whole new game.

I was playing it unpatched I think, I got the game the day it came out and played it straight away with no patches.

I have started a new career unemployed with 9 countries loaded and I applied for the Kildare County job and got it haha. They are in Irish First Division (their 2nd division) and they are extremely poor.

Safe to say this is going to be the toughest task i've ever had on an FM/CM game. I started playing FM/CM from 97/98 and I have never taken over the reigns of a team halfway through their season who have 0 points and are the only amateur club in the league when the rest are Semi Pro :D

I have played 1 match so far and i'm far happier with the Match Engine now. It's an improvement over 10.0 from what I can remember. Still got to play more matches to judge it but I love FM and always have done, it's just the M.E on 2010 I was unhappy with but if it's been improved then that has made the game loads better IMO.

Archived