back-up keeper asking for matches

i have a question. i am currently playing as PSV. in my second season my first keeper is cassio, a young and decent brazilian. i have another promising keeper on loan, and because i only have 1 keeper i signed 36 years old oka nikolov. at player status he is a back-up for the first team. but why is he asking for playtime 3 times a month?

i noticed this happen in other games as well. shouldnt signing a 36 year old keeper as back-up make it obvious for him that he wont get a lot of playtime?

its just a minor anoyance

Sub keeper has to be the worst position in the squad, either find someone with no ambition at all who just likes money and cant be arsed about playing, ie Stuart Taylor or buy a good young one, and play him in the reserves and on the bench, throw in a couple of games and he should be OK

Not a lot of pitch time does not equal no pitch time.

This

Try to play him a couple of times against lesser opponents or in cups.

And this

Still,this is very unrealistic IMO.Back-up keepers should never complain because they dont play,they are just back-ups.This,unless a certain team has got 2 main GKs.

See above.

Don't understand you guys that think its ok to leave your back up with no games and expect him to be happy. He's still going to want to play unless he's Winston Bogarde.

Its always funny when you have the young 2nd choice keeper who never gets a game at all, then he gets injured whiles you NO.1 is suspended and then you find yourself in a position where you may have to put Peter Crouch in net. LOL.

If I have a clear first-choice GK, I try to find a decent, inexpensive backup who is described as "unambitious" or something similar. Never "ambitious". I try to find one and stick with him, year in and year out, throwing him into a few matches a season. An alternative solution is to short-term loan a new guy every 3 months or half season, get rid of him before he gets grumpy, but that strategy depends on the level at which you're playing and the league in which you play. Or use that 19/20/21 year old prospect as your backup. Just make sure his status is "backup" or "prospect" or perhaps "rotation"... not "first team" or "key player", that will simply give him an inflated message as to his role.

Its always funny when you have the young 2nd choice keeper who never gets a game at all, then he gets injured whiles you NO.1 is suspended and then you find yourself in a position where you may have to put Peter Crouch in net. LOL.

lol, it reminds me when my 1st choice keeper got injured and then 2 days before the next game my 2nd choice who rarely ever played got injured so still didnt get to play!!!! i had to put an 18 year old in goal

Here's a lesson to learn:

I play as Ajax and in every FM I face the same problem - Stekelenburg is my best GK, but Vermeer is young, talented and way too good to just sit on the bench.

In 2011 Summer I finally sold Vermeer when he requested transfer and it left me with Stekelenburg + Schmitz (18 yo goalie who's no way gets and wants any first team appearances). Goalies won't get injured anyway, right? Wrong. 2 weeks after Vermeer transfer Stekelenburg broke his finger and was out for 5-6 weeks, it meant Dutch super cup final + 4 Eredivisie games (against Utrecht, Feyenoord, AZ and PSV) without him. So keep your sub-GK happy and in the team.

(To be honest, I won DSC in penalty shootout when Schmitz did OK and saved one penalty, won Feyenoord 2-0, smashed Utrecht 7-1 and AZ 3-0. Only 0-1 away loss to PSV was a bugger, but I can't blame goalie for that. So, if you think about it, you can get away with your U-19 goalkeeper as well).

• 2 weeks later...
lol, it reminds me when my 1st choice keeper got injured and then 2 days before the next game my 2nd choice who rarely ever played got injured so still didnt get to play!!!! i had to put an 18 year old in goal

what was the score lol?

Well I swap my players round every game (I effectively have 2 teams of 11 in my 1st team squad so that everyone gets games and is fresh, both good, not 1 good and 1 rubbish), and include the goalkeeper in that as well, as both keepers (and all outfield players) always get plenty of game time. Works fine for me, even with both keepers being pretty good, they and everyone else are usually pretty happy, because they get plenty of game time.

Archived