Is this cheating....i dont think so but give your opinions

When i get an offer from a bigger or better team to leave my current club and become their manager, i tell the team that made the offer to wait a week. In that week i offer all my very best players new contracts with a minimum release clause of next to nuthin. All the players i DONT want, too crap or too old etc i give them massive contracts well above what they are worth for 5 years or sumthin...When i go to my new club i take all my best players with release clauses with me, and leave my old club with nuthin but all the old and rubbish players on huge wages, therfore, they are ****ed

Do you consider this cheating?? i dont because im not doing anything that the game wont let me do.

If you are playing a single player game then there really is no such thing as cheating in the truest sense of the verb (unless you count the AI but we all know how they love to cheat against us icon_wink.gif).

So it's not cheating per say but it is dubious and unrealistic in my opinion but do whatever the hell you want to do. You paid your money so knock yourself out icon_smile.gif

It's certainly a bit naughty but not out and out cheating. I don't understand why you'd want to completely destroy the club you just left though - I can see the merits on the low minimum fee side, but offering the c**p players huge contracts?! It just seems like your going out of your way to undermine a club that (presumably) has gotten you to where you are today.

Originally posted by Nick_Hamblin:

It's certainly a bit naughty but not out and out cheating. I don't understand why you'd want to completely destroy the club you just left though - I can see the merits on the low minimum fee side, but offering the c**p players huge contracts?! It just seems like your going out of your way to undermine a club that (presumably) has gotten you to where you are today.

Its just my way of saying, iv moved on lol. I love seeing how quickly a club can fall from grace without my genius. The only team i would never do this to is my beloved Glasgow Celtic.

Originally posted by PETER CASSIDY:

Why is it cheating tho? its not like im adding myself as another manager and buying the players for nothing. Im not doing anything wrong, there's plenty of things in the game that are unrealistic.

I simply see it as a way iv found to beat the game.

It's cheating because you've been fortunate enough to be offered a better job, so you've purposely set about sabotaging your current situation in order to gain an unfair advantage in the future.

Why are you bothering to ask if you are already totally set in your view anyway?

Some people don't care about what is realistic, they just want to win at all costs. You appear to be one of those, which is fair enough since it is your game.

Other people prefer to play with as much realism as they can and what you are talking about is not remotely realistic.

The game will never be able to stop players doing anything that is even remotely dodgy because there are way too many loopholes, but that doesn't mean you have to use them just because you can.

Cheating or not, it's brilliant! Why didn't I think of that! Well done mate! icon_smile.gif

I still wouldn't do if the team that wants me and my current club are in the same league. But other than that, it's quite clever.

Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sirdez24:

The game lets you reboot when you lose. Is that cheating?

Pretty much yeah. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that was his whole point haha.

People have said the game lets you do it, so it's not cheating, but he was saying, the game lets you restart...so thats cheating too.

To me, I'm not sure, it's a bit different...re-starting isn't part of the actual game, but it's something you can do with the game, if you get me.

You could say it's a cheat personally...if you don't care about that sort of thing and it doesn't affect your conscience, then it won't be seen as cheating to you. But to those it does affect, then personally to them, it's a cheat.

Essentially it's exploiting the game for being a game, as in real life, the board/chairman handles contracts and would never agree to those terms. So you're cheating an exploit...or something lol.

Originally posted by sirdez24:

The game lets you reboot when you lose. Is that cheating?

I must admit, growing up I was terrible for doing that until I realised my 'achievements' were essentially worthless. I still occaisionally have the urge if I feel like I've been cheated. You know how it is - you've had 20 shots on goal, 19 on target, they've had one on goal, scored and won, meaning you've lost the title by a single point. What I tell myself is that when I do come out on top it'll be all the sweeter.

IRL Didn't the Plymouth Chairman accuse Ian Holloway of doing something similar?

I think he got players in with small minimum release fee clauses because Holloway didn't think he would be there long so he didn't care that when they did well Plymouth would have to sell them cheap as long as they performed well for the year he was there.

I think it is cheating but if i were a manager in real life I would be spending my last couple of days in the job standing on the training ground persuading my best players to come with me.

Lots of underhand things happen in real football so play dirty if you want.

I don't think its right, but I reckon that this has happened in real life as well, to a certain degree.

One premiership club had was about to sign two of the best players in the world, virtually done deals that fell thru at the last minute.

The executive in charge of the deals announced not long after he was leaving the club and joining one of their rivals, coincidently one of the players ended joining his new club...

BTW it is completly different from restarting your game imo

that IS CHEATING....i consider anything you can do without restarting, not cheating....

You can add yourself as another manager and get them to buy all your crap players for good money without re-starting the game.

When playing as a Spanish team you can arrange loads of friendlies for your reserves against big teams and rake in the money all season without re-starting the game.

You can take over as manager of the opposition team just before a match and make them play a striker in goal and no defenders without re-starting the game.

None of the above require you to re-start the game, but like what you do they are all forms of cheating.

Why is it cheating tho? its not like im adding myself as another manager and buying the players for nothing. Im not doing anything wrong, there's plenty of things in the game that are unrealistic.

The game lets you do this, but it is still cheating. You have clearly convinced yourself that you are not a cheat, but as you are not playing an online clan then I suppose it doesn't matter.

IMO, it is cheating because you are taking advantage over the AI. IRL you would never get away with this and so you are at an advantage because there is no consequence of it, but IRL there would be.

Originally posted by MaccaB:

I don't think its right, but I reckon that this has happened in real life as well, to a certain degree.

One premiership club had was about to sign two of the best players in the world, virtually done deals that fell thru at the last minute.

The executive in charge of the deals announced not long after he was leaving the club and joining one of their rivals, coincidently one of the players ended joining his new club...

Mr. Man Utd fan for life, Kenyon, I believe you are meaning.

Arjen Robben and Ronaldinho both looked certain to join United. Somehow neither did, and as Robben joined Chelsea, so did Fat Pete!

Lovely man, a legend down at Old Trafford these days! icon_rolleyes.gif

Just accept that crippling your previous employer and STEALING all the good players is cheating. Its along the same lines as reloading and adding another manager. It really doesn't matter, just consider it a shortcut you take to save time, the same way the A.I takes/creates shortcuts.

Originally posted by chopper99:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PETER CASSIDY:

that IS CHEATING....i consider anything you can do without restarting, not cheating....

You can add yourself as another manager and get them to buy all your crap players for good money without re-starting the game.

When playing as a Spanish team you can arrange loads of friendlies for your reserves against big teams and rake in the money all season without re-starting the game.

You can take over as manager of the opposition team just before a match and make them play a striker in goal and no defenders without re-starting the game.

None of the above require you to re-start the game, but like what you do they are all forms of cheating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea but they require you to add another manager and like i said earlier that is cheating, let me put it more clear, anything you can do in a single player game without rebooting or adding a fake manager or ****in with the editor isnt cheating.

What you are doing is cheating, in reality the board would ask questions as to why you're offering contracts with low min fee clauses & not sign the deals.

How would you feel if you pitch up at your new club to find your predessor has done exactly the same thing & the star players are aleady on their way out of the door?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PETER CASSIDY:

None of the above require you to re-start the game, but like what you do they are all forms of cheating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea but they require you to add another manager and like i said earlier that is cheating, let me put it more clear, anything you can do in a single player game without rebooting or adding a fake manager or ****in with the editor isnt cheating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Spanish one doesn't require you to add a new manager.

Anyway that's irrelevant. You've found a way to exploit the game and play against the spirit of how the game should work, ergo it's cheating. Even if you pretend it's not.

However, as others have pointed out it's your game and however you get enjoyment out of it is nobody's business but your own. But it's blatantly cheating! icon_biggrin.gif

And the main guide to what's cheating and what isn't is as follows: If you need to ask (Or even feel that it merits debate) then yes, it's cheating.

Why'd you even post this if you're just going to argue against everyone's opinion on the matter?

Anyway... what you're doing is cheating. You're intentionally exploiting the AI players into buyer-friendly contracts, so that you can turn around and become the beneficiary of your own exploitation.

You can do it, but it's still cheating.

Oh relax guys, its just a game (Don't shoot me!)

Of course, its true that what he did was pretty naughty, but hey, its slick... but in real life.. that would never happen. Guess games will always be games TBH icon_cool.gif

In my opinion, if a gamer finds a workaround within the game, it's hard to say it's "cheating" outright, like exploiting the corner issue.

It's entirely up to the person playing the game as to whether they FEEL like they are cheating. Personally I wouldn't do the minimum release fee thing as I would feel like I was going outside the spirit of the game.

At one point this year I was getting very frustrated at not being able to offload decent players at half price (or even free in some cases), which I thought of as a failing in the game, if not an outright bug. I signed on as a bunch of European clubs and bought them off my club at way below their value. I thought with buying them below value rather than current or even inflated value that I wouldn't feel like cheating. But that year, I walked the league and a cup, and didn't derive any satisfaction from it. I suppose being unable to offload unwanted players is a part of real life management, if not on the scale experienced on FM.

So, there you go. You pays the money, it's up to you if you cheat. You DO relinquish any bragging rights on these forums, however.

Which is exploiting the game, cheating in a word.

Its cheating, you can't change that no matter how much you argue it.

Bringing your star players with you to a club just kinda ruins the whole point of joining a new club, it isn't exactly a new challenge if your working with the same bunch of players you had before.

The only time i'd sign a former player would be if they were a sucessful or well-progressed project of mine at my former club.

(I.E Turning a young LB into a class winger)

When i jump ship to another club i'd rather a whole new batch of players to work with for my new challenge, rather than the same old lot that i already know the ins and outs of. Takes away the fun.

But in the end its your game, you can play it how you want, I don't see the point in cheating though.. just takes the fun out of it.

Ben Johnson/Dwight Chambers/Flo Jo didn't feel guilty either... They're still cheats though.

That reasoning just doesn't stand up to even mild questioning. Are serial killers innocent if they don't feel guilt (most true psychopaths don't feel guilt or anything much at all)? Were Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc. good men because they believed they were? Extreme examples I know, but the principle of 'if I don't feel guilty then I must be innocent' just doesn't hold weight when you think about it for more than a second.

If the OP did what he did deliberately to sabotage his old team/benefit his new one underhandedly then it is without question deliberate cheating (real life would allow you get away with doing it too - but the chances are you'd have a court case against you somewhere down the line...) Even if you didn't do it deliberately it's still cheating but the onus is then on you to stop doing it once you realise that's the case.

For example, there is a known issue with corners which amounts to an exploit - if you scored from lots of corners without knowing anything about this, then it would still be cheating, but it would be unintentional. If however you continued to use it after finding out it was a known exploit then you become a knowing cheat. Now it is only a game and therefore I'm not going to question your real life morals, but in the perspective of the game, you have to make your own moral decision on whether you will continue to knowingly cheat or, now you know what other people think about it, stop.

Either way, echoing what everyone else has said, if you're fine with doing this then it's your game, fill your boots, but don't kid yourself it isn't cheating or look to others for validation and then take exception to what their responses are.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it is, and enjoy the game as you want to play it icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick_Hamblin:

Its just my way of saying, iv moved on lol. I love seeing how quickly a club can fall from grace without my genius. The only team i would never do this to is my beloved Glasgow Celtic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that what Strachan is up to?

Celtic's best players will follow him to Newcastle, or whoever, shortly.

Mind you are they not supposed to go downhill after he's left.

The closest thing to this, which wouldn't be considered cheating, is when renewing staff contracts you make sure that there contracts end at the same time as yours, so that if you don't get a new contract it's easier to take the staff you like to a new club.

Another reasonable measure might be not offering a player whose contract is about the run out a new contract so he's easier to get at a new club.

Archived