Injuries and players ignoring the ball

What is it with FM10? Injuries seem ridiculous, it's insane that you can end up with half your team picking up even just minor knocks during games which require the physio to come on. Anyone would think physio's come on the pitch 5+ times in every single game in the country in real life, and to hear that FM11 will feature more, is crazy. As far as players ignoring the ball goes, well, it's ridiculous that the ball can be going near a player, and he'll run away from the ball, and someone who's further away will go for it instead, and of course not get it. Equally ridiculous is players just waiting for a ball to come to them when it's bouncing, and because they wait forever, and don't actually try and go for the ball, they end up losing it. Also ridiculous is players when a shot is saved or whatever, just blasting the ball out for a corner or throw-in all the time, even if they have 5 seconds to take a touch and decide what to do, and are under no pressure, they'll just blast it out anyway. Also seems daft that even at lower levels, a header will always go right to a players foot and they'll control it well. It just doesn't happen that often, half the time you'll get a bit of head tennis in real life, or headers just bouncing around aimlessly on the pitch before a player gets to them, yet you don't seem to get that in FM10.

I found that I have fewer issues with that when I issue aggressive closing down instructions to the whole team, goalkeeper included. Though the latter does result in approx 1 howler per season, it seems to work more than it fails.

Does mean though I need a fit team with high Stamina/Natural Fitness and/or a lot of depth in my first team squad.

I always get a lot of injuries when first starting a new game with each new FM version. Typically they fade away as I manage to tweak the training to a level that is "acceptable" to the game.

I agree that when players just hit the ball out of bounds, it's ridiculous. I've seen players take the ball from a throw in deep in their own side, completely unmarked with the nearest player from the other team 30 yards away, then kick it high into the stands as the ME says "He's taking no chances there!". Really now?

Ive found the players running away happens mainly on counter attacks from corners if your centre back starts chasing a player down the wing, when he gets about 30 yards from goal he starts heading off to the centre and your full back who is probably in the centre already or chasing back but miles behind will then start to head out to their attacker on the wing

1 other thing that bugs me like hell. A ball will be played into the box, for example a long ball, and it'll basically land.........a couple of yards from my keeper, who'll just stand there daydreaming, while the striker runs in and scores, rather than just going to get the ball himself, which is easy to do with nobody near him. That in particular is so unrealistic it's untrue.

Some illogical things are annoying in 3D. As when opponent gains possession, sends long ball to my DL area and their striker starts to run towards it from the left. So if you picture it - their striker starts diagonal run from left to right towards my DL area. Now, my DL who is closest player to the ball, just stands until my DR (who has run all the way with opponent striker) gets to the ball first and clears. Why?

OK, no harm done as opponent didn't score or get a decent attack, but looks rather strange in 3D view.

Archived