Presidential elections and managing a big continental club.

Are these in the game at clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid? I haven't had a save at either club, but I haven't noticed any media stories about it, when it should be a huge thing. Do presidents in FM have fixed term tenures?

Also, on this issue, I would love to see the sort of election promises I think you get IRL in the game where the new president promises to sign player 'x' and then delivers him to your squad, without necessarily any input from you-if he decides to keep you on as manager at all.

Just an personal observation but does anyone else think in the game, the real madrid president, for example, is too tolerant of failure, it seems to me irl that if you dont win the champions league at Madrid, you're in trouble, but in the game mangers seem to stay longer-maybe it's just in my save. Maybe the really big continental club jobs should be like Brazil is in the game, fail and you're gone.

I think too that at these big big clubs your shouldn't automatically have full control over transfers because irl the manager doesn't, maybe at all.

However if you are a leading, high profile manager you could negotiate, demand more/complete control over transfers when signing your contract.

It'd be great and a big step forward to make each club in the game unique, especially the very big clubs in terms of the demands they make on expected playing style (would the game sack you if you won, but played in a boring style?),

amount of big name transfers expected/demanded each year, youth recruits in first team, emphasis placed on different competitions- i.e europe over league, number of foreign players vs domestic players accepted, reputation for giving young players a chance in the first team etc.

basically so many things that makes clubs different from each other because at the moment every club is the same (excepting changeable things like budget/expectation) which makes the game more dull long term, so I hope this changes in the future.

And , if you've got a top medical set up, the physio role should be expanded, so that they could give you more info about your players, i.e this player is starting to decline, before you could notice it in a match, so think about selling him/ changing his training etc.

Or, conversely if you are interested in signing/giving an extension to an older player, the physio could advise you that in his opinion based on tests like VO2 max that this player could play for another 5 years at the top, so it would be a good signing/contract extension.

Just an personal observation but does anyone else think in the game, the real madrid president, for example, is too tolerant of failure, it seems to me irl that if you dont win the champions league at Madrid, you're in trouble, but in the game mangers seem to stay longer-maybe it's just in my save. Maybe the really big continental club jobs should be like Brazil is in the game, fail and you're gone.

I agree completely. I've been playing a save as Barcelona for a little over four seasons now, and Pellegrini at Real has won only the CL twice. During the first two years he won nothing. We've played about 11 "El Classicos", I've won 7 or 8 of them, the rest are draws. I've taken the La Liga 3 times, the only time I didn't win it it went to Atletico on goal difference. So I dare say that if this was the case in real life, Pellegrini would've been fired ages ago.

I mentioned in the Barcelona thread that elections would be a great thing to add in FM11. If you force a Chairman takeover with FMRTE or if the Chairman steps aside of his own accord, 'Elections' will take place, however this isn't much different from the normal Chairman takeover. Otherwise, there are no 4-5 yearly Elections.

Juan Laporta is still at Barcelona in 2023, when in reality he should have left in 2010 :D

Well, I can say that there are presidential elections at Real Madrid. This I know for sure, because I've seen an ingame message about it.

Now, this probably only happens when the current chairman "retires" and not every couple of years.

I agree with the original post, i think for fm11 there should be two game modes, Classic which is what we all play now, and specific game modes for teams like Madrid and Barca with all the stuff you mentioned going on, it would make the game more realistic for the more expirienced players but still give the noobs :) a chance to play the old way. I think that would improve on a brilliant game masssively

I decided to take over Valencia in 2034 and currently in 2039, and have only noticed one or two presidential elections at clubs. At Valencia during my time in charge there has been a promotion from within.

Looking at Madrid's history, they had a new takeover in 2038 from elections, and previously only one other election in 2026. From the news article I saw about their 2038 election, it did seem a bit underwhelming.

Archived