A right kick in the nuts!!

So this is the situation, i'm managing birmingham in the 2014/2015 season. Top of the league, League cup final awaits and in the 1st knockout round of the champions league. It's January and Nicolas Otamendi decides he wants a new challenge. I decided to sell up as he was unhappy so i offered him to clubs for £20m (he was only valued at £5m). No offers anywhere near what i wanted so i rejected all of them. Just before the window closes Italian side Livorno, who are 17th in Serie A offer me £17.75m. After a bit of thought i accepted as i had a replacement lined up. So Otamendi left me for Livorno.

So i finish the season as EPL Champions, ECL winners and Carling Cup winners completing a historic treble. July 2015, 7 months after i sold Otamendi, i'm looking around clubs for a couple of players. The next thing i notice.........................

REAL MADRID HAVE PAID LIVORNO £43M FOR OTAMENDI AFTER 18 GAMES WITH AN AVERAGE RATING OF 6.73!!!!! (lower than he ever managed for me!)

KICK IN THE NUTS OR WHAT??

Well, I would say that Real management just got an alarm bell - "Who? Otamendi what? Why would Livorno pay £17m for him? Is he really so good? We have to have him. Can you understand, we HAVE to have him. Write this small Italian club a cheque please."

But seriously - how do you pull off £17m deal for an unsettled player with value of £5m?

Well, I would say that Real management just got an alarm bell - "Who? Otamendi what? Why would Livorno pay £17m for him? Is he really so good? We have to have him. Can you understand, we HAVE to have him. Write this small Italian club a cheque please."

But seriously - how do you pull off £17m deal for an unsettled player with value of £5m?

Exactly, i am absolutely gutted. There was a lot of interest in him and i was happy to keep him if the right offer didn't come along. I had offers of about £11m from loads of clubs. Then Livorno, whose previous record signing was something like £5m, came in with this offer. I gladly accepted, then i see this 7 months later! I would normally be even more furious at how unrealistic this was, but it seems like something Real Madrid are capable of haha

Archived