Selling your best player ?

I just sold Edin Dzeko after he scored 32 EPL goals, had an 7.8 average rating and became player of the year.

It's 2016 and I'm managing Man U.

Basically I did this because he just turned 30 and it was the last chance to get € 40m for him. His value was € 22.5 and I got that plus € 10m bonus after 10 appearances plus another € 7.5 after 10 goals, so that should be 40, realistically. :)

As everybody knows Man U do have a loan problem and on top of that I had just bought my newgen striker I had at Wolfsburg, from where I moved to Man U, for a cheap € 86m which I quite frankly didn't really know how to cover otherwise ;)

Still, I wonder how many of you would ever sell their best player or under which circumstances?

- Like me, when it seems a good deal before the market value goes down due to age?

- Any time when the offer seems okay?

- Only when being forced due to player behaviour disrupting the team or poor team status/poor finances?

- or never ever unless they shoot you (or the chairman does it upon which you shoot him)?

And why didn't I manage to create this as a poll??? :mad:

As Hearts I sold Alfred N'Diaye, Gael Kakuta and Aron Gunnarson, who were 3 of my main players, in the same transfer window.

It was mainly for the money, around £17m for the 3 which is a lot for Hearts, and I also had some young Scottish players coming through who I wanted to develop through first team games. I originally signed those three all on free transfers.

I was forced to sell the 2nd best player in the world (according to "World" screen) because he refused to sign a new contract. I wasn't going to let a man like that go on Bosman, so acted before it was too late. Got 70 million for him.

I also had to sell a great goalkeeper because I had two other very good ones, and it was just hopeless to keep them all happy and match fit. He was worth the most, so I sold him. Got 25 million. Not great considering he was worth almost 20 million, but not many were interested in January.

Generally I don't sell my best players unless forced to by outside factors.

Still, I wonder how many of you would ever sell their best player or under which circumstances?

- Like me, when it seems a good deal before the market value goes down due to age?

- Any time when the offer seems okay?

- Only when being forced due to player behaviour disrupting the team or poor team status/poor finances?

- or never ever unless they shoot you (or the chairman does it upon which you shoot him)?

It depends what kind of club I'm managing. If it's a big and/or rich club then I usually go with the last option but if it's not then the offer just needs to be good enough.

I might sell Fabregas in my Arsenal save, depending on whether or not he's leaving IRL. :p I have enough midfielders anyway, with Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere, Fran Merida, Nacer Barazite, and my new transfers which includes Eden Hazard, and Dan Gosling.

Archived